Transfer window is still open.
by NDMike2001 (2017-08-28 09:09:16)

In reply to: We'll know more in two weeks when they play Man City.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

First, I think we know exactly what Liverpool is for the most part. We should expect an open game against City with goals going both ways. The outcome won't tell us too much - barring a lopsided victory. What is more telling is whether Klopp can solve the puzzle of bottom table clubs parking the bus. Fortunately, I don't see that as a problem in Champions League.

As for Mignolet, I think that it's pretty clear that Klopp has a (good) dilemma in that he has three goalies that are all fairly decent, but nothing to write home about. Ward may end up being the best, but he's still young. Karius hadn't played a league game since being dropped last December. I'm guessing that Klopp was trying to make sure that he had a reliable #2 (and someone to push Mignolet) so that he could feel comfortable sending Ward out on loan. Of course Arsenal didn't show him a damn thing!

You touched on a point.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-29 10:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool typically plays up or plays down to their competition. They need a killer instinct against the bottom table clubs.

It's style of play more than talent.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-29 10:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The smaller clubs tend to pack it in to try and frustrate Klopp's open style. But Mourinho will do it to. Because he doesn't give a damn how people think his team looks. That matchup should be quite a chess match between the two.

But you can kind of see what Klopp may try to do this year (at least against Hoffenheim). It looks like he's going to try and concede possession in spaces in the midfield to force teams to stretch out more. He's also allowing defenders to push forward (sometimes even on the attack) dropping his midfielders. Again, the goal to not only attack, but to cause the opposition to respond by attacking as well. I don't know if it will work. But damn, it will make the games entertaining to watch.