Arsenal are shockingly bad
by tcfc (2017-08-27 12:38:05)

Liverpool could end up with six or seven. What an awful performance by the Gunners.

That was the worst match I've ever seen them play
by ChicagoWave03  (2017-08-27 15:35:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition to continuing to be disorganized, out of position, and completely disjointed, the level and effort given by the individual players (outside of Sanchez) was pathetic.

Ox, Ramsey, and Ozil looked like they'd rather be at the beach. Xhaka had an atrocious performance.

It is time to light a match as they say. Wenger clearly has no idea what to do with this squad.

They need to do the right thing
by CountyArmagh  (2017-08-27 12:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and let Sanchez move on to a team with ambition.

Burn the whole thing to the ground
by santamonica  (2017-08-27 14:31:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally embarrassing performance.

You have to give them credit though
by mitquinn  (2017-08-27 12:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they are building up false belief in this pedestrian Liverpool side...

We'll know more in two weeks when they play Man City.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-27 22:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do wonder why Mignolet didn't start today.

Transfer window is still open.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-28 09:09:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, I think we know exactly what Liverpool is for the most part. We should expect an open game against City with goals going both ways. The outcome won't tell us too much - barring a lopsided victory. What is more telling is whether Klopp can solve the puzzle of bottom table clubs parking the bus. Fortunately, I don't see that as a problem in Champions League.

As for Mignolet, I think that it's pretty clear that Klopp has a (good) dilemma in that he has three goalies that are all fairly decent, but nothing to write home about. Ward may end up being the best, but he's still young. Karius hadn't played a league game since being dropped last December. I'm guessing that Klopp was trying to make sure that he had a reliable #2 (and someone to push Mignolet) so that he could feel comfortable sending Ward out on loan. Of course Arsenal didn't show him a damn thing!

You touched on a point.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-29 10:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool typically plays up or plays down to their competition. They need a killer instinct against the bottom table clubs.

It's style of play more than talent.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-29 10:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The smaller clubs tend to pack it in to try and frustrate Klopp's open style. But Mourinho will do it to. Because he doesn't give a damn how people think his team looks. That matchup should be quite a chess match between the two.

But you can kind of see what Klopp may try to do this year (at least against Hoffenheim). It looks like he's going to try and concede possession in spaces in the midfield to force teams to stretch out more. He's also allowing defenders to push forward (sometimes even on the attack) dropping his midfielders. Again, the goal to not only attack, but to cause the opposition to respond by attacking as well. I don't know if it will work. But damn, it will make the games entertaining to watch.

You are nuts.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-27 14:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The front three and middle three are as good as any team in the league.

Matip is a a quality defender. Moreno and Lovren are pedestrian.

Don't be silly
by mitquinn  (2017-08-27 14:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as good as any team in the premier?

No one is picking that side of midfielders over the squads at Chelsea, United or City.

They are wonderful directional players when the whole field is given to them.

Two points.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-27 15:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, not being Chelsea, United or City does not make one pedestrian.

Second, I said the front three and middle three. And they work together. You can't just plug in a Lukaku, Fabregas, Yaya or even Aguero and expect it to work.

I stand by my point. With the right players you could upgrade almost any position except Mane. But Klopp has exactly the kind of talent in starting 11.

Depth on the other hand...

Pedestrian is a bit harsh.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2017-08-27 13:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mane, Firmino and Can are very underrated players, imo.

It's a shame Coutinho wants out. What happened with Virgil?

I think Mane is a joy to watch, he's a really good player *
by tcfc  (2017-08-27 16:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are garbage
by wcnitz  (2017-08-27 12:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Midfield: garbage
Defense: garbage

They look out of position, disorganized and like they don't give a shit.

Positively Irish
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-08-27 12:52:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No matter who comes in, same old tired leadership yields same old tired results.

Embarrassing and shameful.