What does stoppage time really mean?
by wiNDycityfan (2017-08-26 09:36:12)

Citeh scores in 97' of 5' stoppage time and final whistle goes to 101'. Go figure.

Great win for Citeh. Crushing blow for Bournemouth.

During the reign of SAF
by Irishlawyer  (2017-08-26 18:31:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stoppage time always seemed to mean however long United needed to equalize or win depending on the scenario.

Hence the phrase "Fergie Time". *
by NDBass  (2017-08-26 22:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the PL
by wcnitz  (2017-08-26 15:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's excessive. But hey, SCENES!

It should have been 15 minutes of stoppage time.
by tex29  (2017-08-26 09:58:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know that I've ever seen as much time wasting. That should have embarrassed any player or coach with a modicum of self respect. Also, second week in a row City lost a player to a bullshit second yellow card.

My point is...
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-08-26 12:17:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

once set, stick to it, no matter it's +5' or +10'. Play the stoppage given, and blow the whistle at the given mark.

Agree with Sterling's red. No idea where that came from.

That's not the point to have a final countdown
by spade  (2017-09-01 01:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stoppage time is added so that the teams are playing for an actual 90 minutes. If in the 91" a penalty is called, that will take at least 2 minutes to set up, argue against and then take. So 2 more should be added to the original stoppage time.

I'm not sure you understand why they add stoppage time. Still, adding an extra 5-6 is a bit extreme, but I've seen 4 very justly been added before due to slow subs and silly time wasting.

It can be extended beyond
by wcnitz  (2017-08-26 15:55:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I fail to see how you can have 5 minutes turn into nearly 11. If there's clear time wasting in the 5' and/or stoppage for injury, you add that onto the +5 and then no more.

That said, it's still up to the referee. And like I said above, it is excessive in the PL.

There was obvious time wasting and a (fake) injury during
by tex29  (2017-08-26 15:59:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the five minutes. That' how five turned into seven. Then there was the goal celebration (fans coming on to the field and being dealt with by police). That's how seven turned into eleven.

That is exactly how it happened. More time added during
by coachbob  (2017-08-26 22:53:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

added time due to shenanigans. Not evil and cruel, rather cynical and unsporting.

Time added for Pep's whining.
by NDMike2001  (2017-08-27 14:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he whined longer than any actual delay.

Stoppage time is a minimum.
by NDBass  (2017-08-26 13:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wcnitz or other refs can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it is a minimum. Additional time can be added for things that happen in stoppage. Most of the time, there isn't anything big enough to add too much time. This match was slightly different.

That being said, he should've stuck to the time just to fist Pep for being an ass. I was hoping Eddie Howe was going to punch the petulance out of him.