Good result. Happy to be wrong.
by baloo88 (2017-06-11 22:28:20)

It was a fine performance on the road against Mexico. Not many chances going forward, and our goal was a little flukey, but our guys didn't just hang on for dear life. Mexico dominated possession, but we weren't constantly under siege.

Omar Gonzalez is man of the match for me. Fantastic performance for him.

Credit to Arena. This is an excellent point.

Gonzalez had two chances on headers.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-06-11 23:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too bad one of them couldn't have gone in.

Love the fact that after the game was over, Donovan pointed out that other things beside water were raining down on the field.

It was interesting to see Arena shaking hands with various Mexican players. I cannot recall if that's par for the course in these games.

They played just as they should have in that cesspool
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-06-11 22:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Early goal, counter attack mode most of the match, defensive minded throughout.

What a difference a coach makes.

MOTM for me is Bradley. Goal of course, but also covered a lot of ground, defended hard and completed a much higher percentage of his passes.

Agree on Bradley.
by NDMike2001  (2017-06-12 09:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's taken a lot of heat over the last couple years...for good reason. It's nice to see that the coaching change has had a positive effect on him. He's still prone to trying to make the quick pass too often, but he's shown much more intent under Arena.

Getting him to connect with Nagby and Pulisic along with Wood up top will go long way with this team.

It's interesting
by wcnitz  (2017-06-12 09:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have to wonder if Pulisic's quick rise on the squad has motivated him a little bit, especially with Pulisic playing lights out in the 10 spot the other day. Might be the combination of that and Arena have helped get him back on track with the NT.

Forget the goal...
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-06-12 12:06:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was still Bradley's best performance with the USMNT in a long, long time. He was active and disruptive while defending, and decisive with the ball. I only saw one notably bad touch all game.

No JK. But more importantly, no Jermaine Jones.
by NDMike2001  (2017-06-13 16:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he plays well with JJ on the field, then I'll be much more enthused about where we are.

Yes, he played very well and was easily the MOTM *
by wcnitz  (2017-06-12 12:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Correct
by wcnitz  (2017-06-12 08:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To escape that place without anyone seriously hurt AND with a point? I'll take that every time.

In general, win at home and draw on the road.
by SavageDragon  (2017-06-11 22:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps figure on slightly less than that versus the other two heavyweights, Mexico and Costa Rica.

The US got a rough early schedule, with 2 of their 3 hardest games as the first two, and didn't play well, dropping both games (probably should've been expected to escape with 1 or 2 points -- draw vs Mexico at home and with CRC on the road, perhaps losing the latter, but 0 was a disappointment, especially getting throttled in the second match). But since the match at Azteca had to be pencilled in as a loss, this recoups one of those dropped points and puts the US right back into the status quo.