Had a shred of hope for Dortmund today
by wcnitz (2017-04-19 16:30:27)
Edited on 2017-04-19 16:38:52

But that defense leaks like a wiffle ball underwater.

But hey Barcelona is toast, so we've got at least something.

Bobby Wood to BVB?
by iudomer  (2017-04-20 18:57:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to teh Twitters

There's no way.
by PaulM  (2017-04-21 10:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aside from the fact that there's no evidence that Wood would fit in their system, the move doesn't make sense for either party.

If Aubameyang stays, Wood loses game time when he's beginning to peak as a player. Dortmund has talent in spades and not enough minutes off the bench to go around. If Aubameyang leaves, the move makes more sense but Dortmund will probably want to sign someone a bit higher profile than Bobby.

I like Bobby Wood but his next move should be mid table, not Champions League level. He's got to prove himself in a system where he is involved with his teammates rather than being left on an island all the time.

Almost exactly my thoughts. Two differences:
by baloo88  (2017-04-21 11:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, I think staying at Hamburg could be a perfectly fine option. Yes, the club is a dumpster fire, fighting off relegation for the third time in four years. But they are likely to remain in the top flight, and he's becoming an automatic starter for that team. Playing consistently against Bundesliga competition would be fine for his development.

Of course, it could be better. I see three places that could be good steps up: Hertha, Hoffenheim, and Köln. Neither Hertha nor Hoffenheim have a dominant striker at the moment, so Wood could contend as a starter. Köln have Modeste, but I imagine he'll be sold in the summer. Hoffenheim are solidly in the Champions League places, while Hertha and Köln are both contending for Europa League, so there will be a lot of squad rotation to keep players fresh. Finally, all three are professional and well-run. I'd be pretty ecstatic if he landed at any of those clubs.

Those are three fantastic options if he doesn't stay at HSV *
by PaulM  (2017-04-21 13:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mbappe sure has looked
by KnightlyRevue  (2017-04-20 12:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like the next young French stud. His UCL play has been truly remarkable. His speed is truly off the charts.

I have never seen the Soccer board on NDN. Full disclosure...I have been a Real Madrid fan for many years. Ducking now...

Card-carrying Madridista here! *
by Irish2003  (2017-04-23 03:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No need to duck
by wcnitz  (2017-04-20 14:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...unless you're a Hungarian referee.

Then you'd better run.

Does he ref in the Hungarian league then?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-04-20 14:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It should be obvious that refs from the top league should be in charge of the biggest games of the year. We don't have MAC refs do the national title game right?

I assume has to
by wcnitz  (2017-04-20 21:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most FAs have a rule around only citizens of that country can ref in that league, so to referee in the BL you'd need to be German or in the EPL you'd need to be British.

Just bring Clattenberg back for the big games. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-04-21 09:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would be happy with that *
by wcnitz  (2017-04-21 10:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mike Dean is not impressed. (link)
by NDBass  (2017-04-21 14:00:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was an awful performance
by KnightlyRevue  (2017-04-20 14:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and awful is being nice. That poor bastard should never step foot in Germany again. The offsides were bad enough but the red for Vidal after how reckless Casemiro played was one of the greater injustices I have seen in UCL.

It is what it is
by wcnitz  (2017-04-20 14:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's 2017, though, and we should be beyond knowing that those calls would have gone differently in a neutral country or in Germany. I hate that aspect of it. These are supposed to be the best referees in the world.

It was certainly an odd tie, though - Real Madrid outplayed Bayern for most of the match in Munich, and the reverse happened for the first 90 in Madrid (despite no goals for Bayern in open play).

I do expect RM to win this weekend. They have been the better side between the two for months now.

Reminds me of a rich man's Gabriel Jesus
by wiNDycityfan  (2017-04-20 13:36:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm hoping Man Utd jumps on him before the Spaniards do. But his game is most definitely tailored for Spain or Germany.

Mbappe is amazing. France is stacked in the coming years.
by PaulM  (2017-04-20 13:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The amount of talent they have under 25 is just staggering, no other country comes close.

My family is from southern Spain
by KnightlyRevue  (2017-04-20 14:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I am very excited for the future of Spain with Marco Asencio, Morata, Lucas Vazquez, Thiago Alcantara and Koke.

France with Griez, Pogba, and Mbappe are off the charts.

I am also very pleased to see Brazil start to pick it up. It is a shame the 2022 cup is in Qatar because it has the makings of a true spectacle.