I might go to see Schweinsteiger next month...
by baloo88 (2017-03-21 08:30:44)

In reply to: It's all anecdotal, but...  posted by wcnitz

When the Fire come to Red Bull Arena. I'm not a huge MLS fan, but I do watch a game or two every few weeks. Never been to one in person, but I have been pushing the idea to my roommates, and they seem interested. Unfortunately, there won't be many USMNT players on display in that match - just Kljestan and McCarty - but if Schweinsteiger is even half of what he used to be, the ticket will be worth it.

As for what Schweinsteiger used to be, I always think back to Euro 2008. Podolski, Lahm, and Schweinsteiger really shined at that tournament. I only began following club soccer seriously after World Cup 2006. Like most Americans, I started by watching the EPL. I chose to follow Fulham, since Dempsey had become my favorite player during the lead up to the World Cup. But after watching Germany in Euro 2008 and seeing that almost all of their stars were playing in Germany, I became obsessed with the Bundesliga. Germany blew me away in the World Cup, but when they were just as impressive in 2008, I was convinced that generation of Germans would win the next World Cup. I was wrong of course, but only by a few years.

I reckon I'm too old to have sports heroes anymore, but Schweinsteiger is among the last from my youth who's still playing the game. I'm definitely excited to see him in MLS.

Replies: