It's all anecdotal, but...
by wcnitz (2017-03-21 07:21:32)

In reply to: I'm not a Fire supporter, though I do live in the city  posted by miamioh_irishfan

My kids will beg me to take them to Chicago to watch him. They have never asked to go see the Fire. And my oldest plays for a Fire affiliated youth club.

I might go to see Schweinsteiger next month...
by baloo88  (2017-03-21 08:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the Fire come to Red Bull Arena. I'm not a huge MLS fan, but I do watch a game or two every few weeks. Never been to one in person, but I have been pushing the idea to my roommates, and they seem interested. Unfortunately, there won't be many USMNT players on display in that match - just Kljestan and McCarty - but if Schweinsteiger is even half of what he used to be, the ticket will be worth it.

As for what Schweinsteiger used to be, I always think back to Euro 2008. Podolski, Lahm, and Schweinsteiger really shined at that tournament. I only began following club soccer seriously after World Cup 2006. Like most Americans, I started by watching the EPL. I chose to follow Fulham, since Dempsey had become my favorite player during the lead up to the World Cup. But after watching Germany in Euro 2008 and seeing that almost all of their stars were playing in Germany, I became obsessed with the Bundesliga. Germany blew me away in the World Cup, but when they were just as impressive in 2008, I was convinced that generation of Germans would win the next World Cup. I was wrong of course, but only by a few years.

I reckon I'm too old to have sports heroes anymore, but Schweinsteiger is among the last from my youth who's still playing the game. I'm definitely excited to see him in MLS.

I'm a huge fan of Schweinsteiger
by HTownND  (2017-03-22 10:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And this may get me to actually buy a ticket and head back down to Toyota Park.

But given how much of a pain in the ass it was last time I went down there, I'm not inclined to make it a regular occurrence.

I want to embrace the Fire, but the stadium situation really really really really sucks.

HTown do you watch with Chelsea Chicago? *
by alleghenyirish  (2017-03-22 14:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to
by HTownND  (2017-03-22 15:36:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But after moving to the burbs, that became much harder. I no longer pay membership dues to CIA and haven't watched with the Chicago folks in some time, but I did way back, and it was fun.

I also watched matches with Irishted on several occasions.

I only ask because I've heard mixed things
by alleghenyirish  (2017-03-23 13:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Several Chelsea fans I know can't stand their chairman

I think they have a new guy
by HTownND  (2017-03-23 16:18:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ever since they moved to the new location on Ashland, I think the heads of the group are new, or newer.

Like I said, it's been about 7 years since I watched with them in the city, and it wasn't at the new location.

Just went back, and yeah, I dropped out once it moved to AJ Hudsons (couldn't remember the name). When I went it was to the Globe, which had Chelsea folks, but also a bunch of other soccer fans as well. They had folks at Fado too. Definitely a new guy based on the CIA website.

He left it all out there WCF vs Argentina...
by iudomer  (2017-03-21 10:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that really hurt his club career, especially coming into the MLS All Star game late and then getting his ankle trucked over.

Fussballgott

Absolute warrior in that match
by wcnitz  (2017-03-21 10:24:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he would happily keep that WC final in his pocket than getting a couple more years at Bayern (or United) on the 1st team.

He clearly gave it all in that match and short of a broken bone that would have kept him from running, he wasn't coming off the pitch other than getting his bleeding stopped.

Most impressive physical display Ive seen in soccer
by mitquinn  (2017-03-21 15:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that game will live on in my heart and memory for the rest of my life.

He is my favorite player of all time.

I live in Chicago and used to be a Fire fan
by Irishlawyer  (2017-03-21 09:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't drive down there to go see Schweinsteiger, but I'd drive down to see Zlatan when he comes to town with the Galaxy!