100000000%
by HTownND (2024-04-24 11:44:44)

In reply to: Jackson's issues notwithstanding  posted by wcnitz

The Enzo/Caicedo midfield is expensive and disjointed.

I will say this, everyone loves to talk about the billion dollar bottlers, and they aren't wrong.

And Boehly was spending like a drunken sailor when he first showed up without a plan (which has created a ton of down stream problems).

That said, I do believe that they have the right people in Poch and Jurasek and Stewart and Wistanley. Unfortunately they haven't all been working with each other for too long (less than a year) and are having to unwind a ton of stuff that happened early on under Boehly when it was sort of a rudderless operation. I think this will get right, but people need to be more patient.

If I look back, I think part of it all was how quickly the sale from Abramovich took place. Boehly and Clearlake owned the club and literally had zero infrastructure in place (and not much time to plan or hire or recruit for it) before getting the keys to the club. That showed up in a ton of ways, where the owners just threw cash at the problem without realizing how much it would hamstring them down the road. Credit for being creative and using loopholes (long term deals to amortize the expense over a longer period and asset sales to offset losses) but those loopholes are being closed, and they will have to operate within much tighter parameters going forward.

The best news I've heard of late is that all signs seem to indicate a level of patience with Poch that would never have existed under Roman Abramovich. It's a new Chelsea in that regard, but if people are honest, this is going to take a few seasons to turn around, regardless of how much cash was spilled on the way.

Replies: