Eva Gaetino Joins Albert on USA Team for SheBelieves Cup
by dillon77 (2024-03-26 11:17:49)

Whoa, that was fast.

The headlines are that Caterina Macario and Mallory Swanson are returning to the U.S.A. Women's National Team for the SheBelieves Cup.

For Domers, the news is that there are two former Irish players on that roster: Defender Eva Gaetino joins middie Korbin Albert. Both play for PSG.

Many of us were/are probably hoping Eva might get to this level, but here she is. Great opportunity.

Talk about replacing a legend-Becky Sauerbrunn-219 caps
by Domerduck  (2024-03-28 01:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a defender. At 38 someone had to take her spot. Good for Eva and I thought her call up was inevitable. The PSG website announced it as well with a link back to the official USA Soccer National Team official announcement.

As for the other 3 adds, Macario and Swanson were inevitable once their injuries were over and they are replacing Lynn Williams & Midge Purce who were on the Gold Cup team. Still I am surprised they took the 16 year old over Rose Lavelle since they do need to get the team ready for the Olympics. It will be interesting if Rose gets left off the 18 player Olympic team.

Eva's WCL goal last wk was historic as she was the youngest
by Domerduck  (2024-03-28 12:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

American ever to score in the knockout stages of the UEFA Women’s Champions League. That was in her write up in the USA Soccer National Team announcement under "Additional Notes" that was linked through my link above. It also called Eva "a former Notre Dame star" which made ND the only college that was mentioned on the US Soccer news release as there are no college players on the roster. I do wonder if her call-up by Hayes/Kilgore had to do with that goal and her continual starting at PSG since February 14 this year. As Dillon says it was fast considering she had just started playing on US teams last year (U-23).

Eva's quick rise will only help the buzz for ND Soccer and Nate Norman. The other thing it may start doing is push more college players to look at jumps to Europe leagues like Korbin and Eva. If either make the Olympic team it would be very big and add much more potentional promotional opportunities since they are on a Paris Club. Many sites are projecting Korbin to be on the team. If Eva made it, that would be truly unbelievable because at most she's make the Olympic team with just 4 caps, so I still rate that as unlikeley. But she sure would be an accessible alternate.

edit...I added a direct link to the ussoccer announcement if you want to avoid going thorugh the PSG website I linked above which focused on Eva's "first USWNT call-up" where she "may well receive her very first cap with The Stars and Stripes." It also has a nice pic of Eva and Korbin.

Great news, surprised but not shocked based on how quickly..
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-27 05:51:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eva has asserted herself into the PSG starting lineup and excelled. She must have already been on the radar and her performance has convinced the decision makers to bring her in.

Yes, her height is an additional quality that works in her favor but she has been very impressive in her ability to initiate offensive situations from the back line.

If she shines in these games is a spot on the Olympic team a possibility? First things first.

Good Point on Playmaking
by dillon77  (2024-03-27 09:08:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We saw more and more of that during her senior season; as Eva would push the ball upfield from her center defensive slot (perhaps making up for the absence of her current PSG teammate, Korbin Albert?).

She's developing even more, perhaps like a Jackie Young on the pitch?
Keep it going, Eva.

p.s. Those forays at ND were usually covered by her back-line partner of many years, Waniya Hudson, whom I thought was something of an afterthought in most end-of-year honors. Does anyone know where she is now>

Re: Winaya Hudson, I agree with you that she was the...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-28 06:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dependable backstop to Eva and was a four year starter. The only thing that I could find about her now is that she joined Electric City in the L1ON (League 1 Ontario) in Canada in June last year and played all 90 minutes of the eleven games that she was on the roster.

In February of this year she was a non-rostered invitee to be a training participant at Gotham FC, sort of a soccer tackling dummy I guess.

Thx for the Search. Looks Like She's Going Here & There...
by dillon77  (2024-03-29 10:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in various leagues to move sideways, up, over and hopefully up again, much like things are a bit in hoops for those that don't make it in the WNBA.

Good luck to her....

Eva’s height may help her case
by SixShutouts66  (2024-03-26 13:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The USWNT seems to lack height and that lack hurts in back row and set pieces