Jan Åge Fjørtoft, who covers the Bundesliga for a number
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-03-25 20:58:12)
Edited on 2024-03-25 21:01:24

In reply to: What would you do if you were Xabi Alonso  posted by SCOANGERS

of outlets including ESPN FC, has stated more than once in recent months that he believes Alonso will stay at Bayer another year and then take over at Real Madrid. That's #2 and #4 on your options listed below.

I would guess that going to Bayern is the least likely choice. As much as I would like him at Liverpool, he probably realizes it will be a rebuilding project with folks like TAA, Salah, and VVD either moving on or getting old or both. (I also have *no* idea about his coaching style and if it would suit the future Liverpool squad.)

More reports today backing that he will stay. *
by NDBass  (2024-03-28 18:05:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Txs thats interesting just to think about German scenarios
by SCOANGERS  (2024-03-26 14:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The german press has been leaking (but it maybe wishful thinking) that he does not want to go to Liverpool. For Bayer, I read a recent statement by Simon Rolfes (who replaced Rudy Voller) who said contrary to 2 months ago that he may not stay

But again if you are Xavi Alonso and decided you stay at Bayer you need to make sure you keep the team or at least field a competitive squad. And after an Euro is difficult to keep the players whose value will go up: I can see them losing Grimaldo, Wirtz, Jeremie Frimpong -given the right side deficiency at FCB I'm sure they may try to get him) .

On the reinforcement they have shown interest in Chris Führich but its a lot of money and Leverkusen cannot compete in a bidding war

And then there is the "Die Werkself " and the fact Bayer (the company) is not doing super well and has apparently mentioned they are not going to over invest

So if FCBayern can get 2-3 players including Wirtz, it maybe tough no to follow them. Dont forget Champions leage final in 2025 is in Munchen

Carlos' dead corpse could coach Madrid.
by NDMike2001  (2024-03-26 12:37:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's pretty mind boggling the talent they have and what they have coming in. I'm sure they'd like to have Xabi and he'd like to go there. But it's not certain the job will be there if and when Xabi wants to make the jump. I find it hard to believe that with 2 of his 3 dream jobs open, that he'd wait it out for the 3rd.

Liverpool just hired Richard Hughes as their sporting director. Hughes just worked with Xabi's agent to bring Andoni Iraola to manage Bournemouth. Xabi doesn't strike me as someone who would hide from the shadow of Klopp. If he were, I think that he'd be similarly skeptical of managing superstar personalities like Mbappe, Vini, Jude, etc.

At this point my guess is: 60% Liverpool / 30% BL / 10% Bayern.

And Plattenberg says if he leaves, he's going to Bayern
by wcnitz  (2024-03-26 06:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think anyone knows anything.