So, does Notre Dame now have the 3rd rated '24 class…
by BabaGhanouj (2024-03-13 19:20:23)

since Seattle Reign FC signs 17-year-old forward Emeri Adames today to a contract extending until 2027? She had committed to North Carolina.

(Note: North Carolina still has Bella Gaetino committed.)

They lost Kennedy Fuller a couple of weeks ago.
by Slainte Joe  (2024-03-14 07:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Claire Hutton before that.

I did hear that 2 of their 2025 recruits have reclassed, but it’s still a massive hit.

I suspect we will see elite programs not even try to recruit the top 5-10 players in each class.

I was at the GA Champions Cup last weekend at IMG
by irishlawyer  (2024-03-15 09:23:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NWSL scouts had a real presence among the college scouts.

My thoery (which is somewhat proven to be correct): the girls training today in high school are just as good if not better than the girls who have been in NWSL for three or four years.

When Korbin went to ND, I was with her the day she received her "lifting packet" from the program explaining the off season weight lifting regime she should follow.

My daughter, now a sophomore in high school, has been doing a lifting regime likely as challenging if not more since she was in 8th grade. Most of the girls on her team have been doing so as well.

This generation of girls - especially 2007 and 2008 birth years represent a turning point in how the youth program girls have come up - the top ones are ready for NWSL and can consider skipping college. They've been doing the work.

You are not wrong
by wcnitz  (2024-03-18 12:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see it in HS and club soccer. The higher-level players have quads. There are no chicken legs.

They also 'run with authority.' Hard to explain exactly what that looks like, but you know it when you see it.

The amazing thing...
by Slainte Joe  (2024-03-15 18:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is the drastic change in financial incentives.

Can you imagine a kid even 5 years ago giving up a Stanford or Duke degree to play in the NWSL?

I question the ability to sustain their spending model.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-19 08:55:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their TV deal is not great. It seems like there are some owners simply spending out of their own pockets. If there isn’t an expectation of ROI, how long do they continue spending like they are?

How long did it take MLS to be profitable?
by Slainte Joe  (2024-03-22 15:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Years, right?

Also, the San Diego Wave just sold for $120 million. The money is coming.

There are also the NWSL youth clubs. Portland Thorns
by Domerduck  (2024-03-15 16:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

took over the Youth Elite programs in the city which were always very good. Then parents would move to the city to develop their girls. This happened with Olivia Moultrie a who accepted a UNC scholarship offer in 2017 when she was 12 years old (see link). As she played club ball she started wanting to play pro early and Thorns signed her in 2019 as she moved to Oregon to train and go to high school. After suing NWSL, she now is a key player on the THorns at age 18. Other players are doing the same.