USA Today projects Korbin on the USWNT for the OLympics
by Domerduck (2024-03-13 00:31:16)
Edited on 2024-03-13 00:40:41

where they only can have 18 players. This would be nice for her since she is already in Paris. Hayes will make the Final call not Kilgore as they say the only midfield lock is Horan. Hope they're right on Korbin making the Olympic team. There is also still the Shebelieves Cup April 6 and the 9th that will feature USWNT vs Japan, Canada, & Brazil to be held in Atlanta and Columbus. Hopefully we will see her compete in that tourney as well.

Here's their take on Korbin with her partnership with Coffey & Horan: "Coffey has surged into a prominent role for this team, starting alongside Albert in a double pivot throughout the Gold Cup knockout stage. That has allowed Horan to play further forward, where she is more comfortable and effective. The emergence of the Albert-Coffey combination has crowded out Andi Sullivan, who could be on the outside looking in despite playing every minute at the World Cup."

It seems Emma Hayes has the team moving forward
by SixShutouts66  (2024-03-13 18:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It appears that future USWNT coach Emma Hayes was very involved with the selection of the squad and even game-time starters. It seems clear that younger players were given the opportunity to make their case, and several long-time stalwarts were absent or had limited minutes. The dismal World Cup and following performances has allowed (demanded?) that she make major updates to the squad.

Although Alex Morgan is still serviceable (and lovely), she has a hard time making her case with Smith, Rodman, Shaw, Macario, and Swanson playing striker. I think Sauerbrunn was exposed in the summer by Haiti's fast front line, and the performance by the US backline may make it harder for her. The midfielders' performance, with Rose Lavelle available, may have shut the door on several former players. Naeher solidified her spot.

The issue is that the US has fallen behind many other countries talent-wise (see link by a London paper). The 2003 WC may have hurt the US player rankings. In the top 100 players, the US had only 7, with none in the elite region.

Smith 18, Horn 21, Girma 36, Rodman 50, Morgan 53, Williams, 63, Thompson 85

Maybe she can replace Horan! (Joking, and running away).
by Grace91  (2024-03-13 09:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only saw the slog vs. Canada but it sounds like Korbin acquitted herself well. I'd like to see her continue to have opportunities.

I can understand the ambivalence about Horan. On the one...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-13 09:55:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hand, she is a mainstay on the second best club team in the world, on the other hand she has not overwhelmed in her USWNT career. What she does well, she does very well, but her limitations are pretty obvious. I thought there were numerous situations against Brazil in which she had a positional advantage to make a play but her lack of pace allowed the opponent to make the play instead.

She was great as a supplement to Mewis (Sam)
by Irishlawyer  (2024-03-13 17:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's hot garbage as her replacement.

It is not Horan's fault that she is a good, not great player.

That strikes as a tad hyperbolic! *
by Slainte Joe  (2024-03-14 08:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm just joking. I am happy that Horan scored vs Brazil
by Grace91  (2024-03-13 11:22:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I hope that she continues to excel. I would like nothing better than for her to be a force to be reckoned with game in and game out.

Thanks for the reply, and have a great day!

I hope, and believe, that Korbin will be part of the team...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-03-13 07:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she deserves it after her performance in the W Gold Cup but that roster doesn't impress me as a favorite to win the Olympic gold medal compared to the other likely challengers. They still don't have that elite, best in the world candidate player that can carry a team or rise up in those critical situations to be a difference maker.