Same old Notre Dame
by Nigeltufnel (2017-11-18 11:15:57)
Edited on 2017-11-18 11:18:48

In reply to: Best post season win in the Romagnola era.  posted by hibernianangst

With the homage to Nick Hornby. That is the typical rubbish that I've grown to expect from this team. This year's team can beat every team in the country yet has 11 blemishes on its record. 11, Not one of those teams has more talent than ND. Not one.

There is a lack of mental toughness that has permeated this team since 2011 (one of the worst performances from a defending national champion in history) and it is not going away anytime soon. More often than not, they act like they can just toss the boots on the pitch and get a result. They can't. Beat NC St 4-0 in September/lose to NC St 4-1 in November. I've never seen something like that ever. They give up goals to lose (or tie) in the last two mins of game (again last night) or right after scoring themselves (also last night). I think they have won like 1 game in overtime in 5 years. 1 game vs. double digit losse in OT. School boy (girl) howler goals against. The offenses are legion.

I've been following this team steadfastly since 1992 and am shocked at how the last seven editions of this team underachieves. When they beat FSU earlier this year a number of FSU fans observed how could this ND team possibly have the shitty record that they do? The FSU fans noted that ND has talent across and up and down the pitch. They were correct.

I applaud the gumption in getting the result last night but let's not fool ourselves that last night was a performance to behold. You can't give up goals in the final 2 mins of a game when you are preserving a lead.

This team should be a final four team. Sadly they will not.

Replies: