NIT tournament - yes or no?
by Irishlawyer (2017-11-15 16:41:38)

There's talk of a tournament involving the USMNT, Italy, Chile, Netherlands, Cameroon, Honduras, Wales, Ireland to end just before the world cup begins.

From a purely USA standpoint, I say no. As a spectator, I'd go if it were hosted in the USA.

Yes, if it was played as a U23 tournament.
by NDMike2001  (2017-11-16 13:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe with allowances for a couple designated players per team that can babysit.

If Sunil is out and we have a new coach
by 3rdSt  (2017-11-16 08:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd absolutely go to it. Obviously there will be stars that sit a tournament like this out, but all of these countries have pretty major rebuilding efforts ahead of them, and I suspect will treat it fairly seriously.

Agreed, I think it'd be taken more seriously than a friendly
by Irish Tool  (2017-11-17 10:04:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is a good thing this far from the next WCQ round.

Theoretically it sounds great
by wcnitz  (2017-11-15 17:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For obvious reasons.

However, I have two issues with it. First is the perception it will create - this will just look like another money grab. Chile, Netherlands, Ireland and Italy playing in the US? Butts in seats!

Second, do you think the really big names for countries like Chile and Italy are going to want to be playing in a meaningless tournament during a summer break when they aren't playing in the WC? If they come to the US during the longest possible break they could ever get since it's a WC year, it will be to sit on a beach.

I don't care to watch it either way. *
by NDBass  (2017-11-15 18:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post