Pulisic gets it. Let’s hope U.S. Soccer does something about
by tex29 (2017-11-13 16:10:32)

Probably small potatoes, but wondering if the style
by Irish Tool  (2017-11-14 09:59:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of play on MLS/America in general dissuades MLS teams from playing 17 year olds. Specifically, is the game rougher or are the players a bit beefier? I'm not sure but I think it might be the case. And if so, technical talent doesn't matter as much if you're 40lbs underweight and can be muscled off the ball without a foul being called.

MLS is pretty physical
by wcnitz  (2017-11-14 10:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But so is the play in England (particularly below the EPL).

Most 17 year olds get muscled off the ball. They still need to play.

What is the *logical* reason behind the EU having
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-11-13 20:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this advantage?

The EU is a single labor market
by fontoknow  (2017-11-13 20:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The FUFA rule applies between labor markets.

What a crock. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-11-13 21:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The FIFA rule exist to prevent exploitation of talent
by fontoknow  (2017-11-14 09:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From third world countries. It is likely a good rule. Teams were going into poor communities in Africa and taking advantage of players and families.

It would be nice if the rule applied all over, but that might make the cure worse than the disease.

Ultimately, we need to end pay to play.

What's not allowed in Africa should not be allowed in
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-11-14 14:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Europe.

I don't think it is desirable to rely on European academies
by fontoknow  (2017-11-14 17:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To develop our 14 and 15 year olds. We need to do a better job of it domestically.

I agree. But European academies shouldn’t be allowed to
by tex29  (2017-11-14 20:41:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

poach talent from other European countries while the U.S. cannot poach talent from, say, Mexico or Central America. Likewise, European national teams shouldn’t have the advantage of having their talent develop in the big professional leagues while other countries don’t have that advantage.

well, we could have free labor movement within NAFTA
by fontoknow  (2017-11-15 09:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which would allow for that arrangement.

And I would support.

But isn't the problem tied to FIFA and not US Soccer?
by fontoknow  (2017-11-13 17:21:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, it won't matter if our best athletes aren't finding there way to a pitch.

I think it’s both. FIFA’s rule is crap, but that isn’t the
by tex29  (2017-11-13 18:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only thing keeping our young players from developing. MLS and the youth soccer program are problematic as well. As for our best athletes finding the pitch, that will change as soccer (and MLS) grow in popularity and there is more money out there for players.

EDIT: Also, it’s up to U.S. Soccer (and other non-European countries) to force FIFA to level the playing field.