Bri will sit out this season, then come back for a 5th year (link)
by SB Jimbo (2017-09-05 12:54:42)

Bri loves ND and this must be hard for her.
by goirish01  (2017-09-07 10:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we love her and are excited to have her fully healthy for her 5th year! Go Irish!

I'll bet she is looking forward to spending
by ram  (2017-09-07 11:32:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a 5th year in school. She seems to be having a great time being a college student-athlete.

She seems like a person who really blossomed (as a person) since arriving in South Bend. "Came out of her shell" if you will.

Post recruiting.......
by irishdds  (2017-09-05 16:35:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't think Vaughn or Patterson are ready to play right away. Doubt Cosgrove will be ready the following year. Turner and Shephard will be ready then though. It would be great to recruit posts like Turner who are ready from the get go. Frustrating. Muff does develop the posts well though

Huge bummer. NDInsider article
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2017-09-05 16:21:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should in a week or two whether the NCAA will allow Shepard to play this season.

If Shepard Is Granted a Waiver by the NCAA,
by dillon77  (2017-09-05 17:33:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that would be extremely helpful. We'll miss Bri and her special talents for sure, but having Shepard's mix of in-paint talents, shooting and passing, along with Kat, would be a good pairing.

(And even better one will be when Shepard and good friend Bri take the court in 2018.)

If Shepard is not granted a waiver, this will be a small-ball attack, although I have some optimism that Mik Vaughn will come along well as the season progresses as a rebounder and post defensive presence.

Given the O N-O news, I would suspect that searches are already staring in earnest for 2019 bigs....

NCAA granting ND a waiver - seems unlikely
by NDoggie78  (2017-09-06 10:04:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's without even knowing her reasons. They haven't granted waivers to us when it should have been obvious (just recently football player Gilman from Navy) and yet it seems every other school gets immediate eligibility if the player transferred because of a hangnail.

I would be pleasantly surprised in Shepard's case. What is her "argument" for the waiver?

Waiver
by tedstheman  (2017-09-06 12:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know what the request is based on however Shepherd's case seems very similar to that of Chatrice White who transferred from Illinois to FSU and was granted a waiver to play right away.

Curious- what is the "case" for both of them? *
by Ajax  (2017-09-06 13:05:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

White's case
by tedstheman  (2017-09-06 13:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If my memory is correct she was the best player on a bad Illinois team and wanted to transfer to a program that would allow her to have more success, play in the NCAA tournament and provide more exposure for a possible pro career. Sounds similar to Shephrd.

Illinois Started Crumbling After White's frosh year...
by dillon77  (2017-09-06 16:39:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...when a number of Chicago-based players transferred en masse and later laumched a lawsuit against an assistant coach for some form of "...ism." I believe it was settled out of court, but the assistant coach left a lot earlier than that. Here's an article on it. Ironically, at the time it was written, Ms. White fully expected to not play last season.

White and her dad were supportive of the head coach, but a few other players bolted, leaving her the stud on a very thin team. She did everything from rebound to shoot the most threes...all as a center.

While we'll never know what was in the exact petition, my guess is it cited that White was a good soldier. Apparently the NCCA goes back to the "host" (or the school the transfer is leaving) school for their input and I'm guessing Illinois cited White's hanging around for a year to keep the ship afloat.

In the case of Shepard, I think a lot will depend on what the current athletic director/2nd year coach feeds back to the NCAA. We'll see.

And the NCAA is looking at loosening the entire process (link)
by goirish01  (2017-09-06 13:46:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Natalie Romeo's case is also applicable
by goirish01  (2017-09-06 13:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jessica's former teammate at Nebraska transferred and was able to play right away when the Nebraska coach resigned. Jessica loved UNL and tried to give the new coach a chance, but they were horrible last year.

Shepard's case
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-09-06 14:44:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although Goirish basically beat me to the punch, I'll post my thoughts anyway.

I am not privy to the reasons ND presented in seeking a waiver to the NCAA transfer rules, but I first raised the possibility of a waiver on this board soon after Shepard's transfer. My thinking related to Nebraska's head coach Connie Yori's resignation after a two-month investigation brought on by numerous complaints. Here is a link (which was used by Dillon when the resignation first occurred).

I am privy to the general astuteness of Coach McGraw and her staff and believe they will present a good case whether the odds be great or small.

I, however, do not believe in Notre Dame exceptionalism but believe the Notre Dame request will be handled on its merits just like any other school.

And Shepard Gave the New Coach/Lineup A Year..
by dillon77  (2017-09-06 16:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..to work, while numerous players either bolted or changed their commitments, like Kathleen Doyle, voted the best HS player in Illinois, who instead went to Iowa. Jessica was by far the best player on a mediocre team. Stop her, stop Nebraska.

In that respect, she's similar to what White did at Illinois -- stay on a listing ship, errr program.

Like you, I think Coach McGraw and the athletic department team will put together the best case possible. See if Nebraska supports the position and then we'll see what happens.

If nothing else,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-09-06 17:04:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the NCAA has to believe that Shepard playing this year will provide a much more exciting women's basketball season, and tournament. However, I'm not so sure Duke, Florida State, or Louisville will think that way.

2017-2018
by tedstheman  (2017-09-05 16:19:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would expect to see a lot of Arike, Mari
na, Jackie, Lili and Kat on the floor this year. That's a talented, but small lineup. Hopefully Koko and Mikayla can provide good D/rebounding as well. We will score, I just hope we can stop the opponent from scoring more.

This is going to be a tough year compared to the
by Tim Kelley  (2017-09-05 16:05:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recent past particularly in the national tournament if not the ACC's.

Wow, big news. Slim margin this yr., but nxt yr, watch out! *
by Jon  (2017-09-05 14:23:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rewind...
by RISteve  (2017-09-05 13:11:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Please rewind to the Ohio St Sweet 16 game for how this team will probably play. Loss of EB as a sniper in this offense cannot be underestimated. Also, need Marina to heal and Jackie to really let it loose.