Sammie Puisis, 2019 Wing, Commits to Florida State
by dillon77 (2017-09-04 11:16:22)
Edited on 2017-09-04 11:32:52
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to McGraw's Bench ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Jumping ahead to 2019, Sammie Puisis, 6'1" guard/wing from outside Cincinnati, just committed to Florida State. Puisis is a fierce high school rival and AAU teammate of 2018 Irish Commit Abby Prohaska.
While taking a look at her twitter account, it appears there is family in Florida and she got a very enthusiastic welcome from fellow FSU commit and center River Baldwin, an early 201 FSU commit. (referred to her as "rooomie," so maybe there's a prior relationship there).

Puisis had come to a Notre Dame game late last season. Now that I remember it, that game was against Florida State. Many of us thought that was a good sign for the Irish. Apparently, Ms. Puisis had eyes on the other team, too.

However, we have landed a commit from Anaya Peoples, the highest rated point guard in that class. And there are a slew of talented guards/wings in the class of 2019, including:
- Kierstan Bell (who has an offer from ND, if memory holds);
- Breanna Beal, the Illinois Player of the Year, who just got an offer from South Carolina;
- Rickea Jackson from Detroit, who also just got an offer from South Carolina, so Dawn Staley is obviously covering her bases.

as well as:
- Celeste Taylor, the 5'10" guard from Long Island Lutheran and Philly Belle teammate of 2018 commit Danielle Cosgrove;
- Diamond Miller, the 6'1" wing/guard/do everything player from New Jersey who, along with Taylor, was on the U.S. team that won gold in Argentina this summer.

Looking slightly ahead to 2020, Indiana Native Sydney Parrish from Hamilton Southeastern and the Indy Gym Rats, is also a guard/wing.

Stay tuned -- I'll have a complete work-up shortly.

That's too bad. I saw that the Irish never even offered her!
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2017-09-04 13:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her other offers included tOSU, Mich. St., Purdue, Wisconsin, Arkansas, and Xavier. The article states that UConn and Notre Dame showed interest. You'd think that such a highly rated prospect would have a more impressive list of offers. She was 12th in Hoopgurlz, 29th in Prospects Nation, and 14th in Blue Star. Of course she committed early, as she is class of 2019.

Seems Like a Lot of Factors Helped FSU
by dillon77  (2017-09-05 08:43:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in regards to Sammie Puisis, ranging from her brother and sister playing collegiate sports in Florida to the assistant coach that recruited her coming from southern Ohio. (Ironically, she played at Lakota West, which I believe is Abby Prohaska's high school.).

As Kayo said, maybe a whole lot of other factors came into play as well, from grades to whether she liked ND.

She certainly looked like the kind of player that would fit it, but the fact that ND didn't offer her shows something was a bit off from the get go.

The fact that they did with Prohaska, who is not rated has highly, piques my interest even further in Abby.

The good news is there are a lot of very good wings/big guards in the Class of 2019 and I'll bet MM & Niele have a set pecking list.

Now, we can get back to seeing what they do with the remainder of those open slots in the Class of 2018 :-)

Sometimes interest isn't reciprocated
by Kayo  (2017-09-04 17:59:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And sometimes that lack of reciprocal interest is expressed early in the recruiting process.

In some cases, it's geography. Some don't want to go to a Catholic school, Notre Dame or any other. Considering ND's involvement with large numbers of highly rated recruits before lists are pared every year, it's likely that there was contact; so I just assume Ms Puisis was not gung ho for Notre Dame. That's fine. The ND program has a lot to offer a young woman in terms of the entire basketball experience, but the university is not for everyone.

Also consider grades as a possible issue. I wouldn't know about Puisis academically, but women's basketball is no different than other sports. Notre Dame can't recruit every top prospect. The percentage of top women's basketball players McGraw and staff can recruit is much higher than the men's percentage of recruits who can clear admissions, but it isn't 100%.

Don't be surprised when ND doesn't offer a top recruit. Be impressed that the staff manages to be involved with so many top recruits.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.