U23 National Trials news
by BabaGhanouj (2017-08-02 16:12:20)

The players have been divided into 4 teams who will play round robin with a final playoff and winner. The first game was, naturally, Team One vs. Team Two yesterday. On Team Two, Jessica Shepard led all scorers with 18 points, including four 3 pointers, and Team Two won with a fourth quarter surge.

Arike makes the team...
by RISteve  (2017-08-04 15:54:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link below:

Arike's awesome; no one from UConn
by SorinBasement  (2017-08-08 09:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Jeff Walz making a statement with that? Geno loads up with his own players when he selects national teams.

See my post "Congrats Arike!" *
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-08 09:43:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems wrong for them to have tried out.
by SorinBasement  (2017-08-08 12:39:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weren't there others who deserved to be part of the process?

You have a point.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-08 13:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't want to get into UConn bashing, but everyone knew beforehand they were there for the honor of being selected, although they did play. Azura Stevens and especially Napheesa Collier impressed (it's just what Ms Collier does), but all knew their priority was the UConn team trip to Italy, not the upcoming four team tournament in Japan.

Perhaps they could have invited four more deserving women. It turned out only 36 of the 40 invited could come.

not just for the honor
by linkster  (2017-08-08 20:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

U23 is an invention. There is no championship, just a round robin tournament among 4 teams. The primary purpose of holding this event is to evaluate candidates for future national teams. As it stands now there is nothing after U19. This event gives USA basketball a chance to see the cream of wcbb playing with and against each other and to give the players an idea of what it takes to play on the senior national team. The 4 UConn players along with the Duke player are legitimate candidates for future senior national teams and that is why they were invited. Maybe you don't think that Gabby Williams, Azura Stevens, Naphessa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson belong among the top players in wcbb and in that case you have a complaint. But if you think that Geno somehow pulled strings to get his players on the list then explain the Duke player who also went knowing she couldn't go to Japan?

No complaint with any of the invitees.
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-08 21:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goodness, we know that probably more than one of those women would have made the team if it wasn't for the Italy trip. Also, thank you for emphasizing a major purpose of the trials—to evaluate candidates for future national teams. However, I think the "primary purpose" was to choose for the Japan trip. Future trials will be held for future events, but you point is well taken.

My only suggestion was to invite more to cover the ones that couldn't go.

Not to belabor a point but
by linkster  (2017-08-08 22:48:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I absolutely think that the primary purpose is to evaluate possible future national team members to the international game. As far as I know there is no such thing as a FIBA U23 championship and only the 4 countries involved have such a thing. The Japan tournament is nothing more than exhibition games. The fact that 5 of the 40 invitees had already excused themselves from the Japan trip supports my view that the practice and scrimmages in Colorado Springs were preliminary auditions for the 2022 Olympics and the games in Japan are nothing more than an exposure to the international game for many of the players who hadn't played FIBA ball since the U19 games, if at all. Of course you could be right but I think my opinion make more sense. It fits in with USA BB's stated intent to establish a developmental program to replace the past practice of simply picking an all star team to send to the world's and the Olympics with little history of playing together.

Not to belabor a point,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-09 01:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which, of course, is exactly what I am doing, but only in hope of coming to some agreement, else we have sadly wasted our time. I can’t state any purpose of diverse coaches, teammates, and the USA basketball organization “absolutely”, but I can agree that the “the primary purpose [of the Japan tournament] is to evaluate possible future national team members” (as well as win!). I also think you’re dead on and quite profound in saying that “it fits with USA BB’s stated intent to establish a developmental program to replace the past practice of simply picking an all star team…with little history of playing together.”

That’s a noble goal and it’s being served well here. However, that is the purpose of the Japan tournament, not the Colorado trials. The first step was to pick the team that would play together. Unfortunately, the 5 invitees you mention will not be getting that history of playing together. While I agree with your statements, I hope those 5 aren’t completely eliminated from future consideration because they won’t have that history. The sentiment is noble, but circumstances arise. I’d like UConn players to be considered even if it goes against the attitude of not simply picking an all star team.

We probably agree there too.

Walz interview on U23
by linkster  (2017-08-09 17:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dishin-and-swishin/2017/05/12/dishin-swishin-051217-podcast-can-brian-aglers-la-sparks-be-the-first-wnba-champion-to-repeat

Thanks,
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-09 18:40:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but you inadvertently supplied the wrong link. Here is the proper one. (You may have to rethink your handle. Kidding. It was close enough.)

So, I guess the primary purpose, as far as Jeff Waltz is concerned, is winning :-).

High school ratings of players selected for U23 team
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-07 13:14:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are the players selected with their HoopGurlz rating and the composite rating for the four rating sites (HoopGurlz, Blue Star, Prospects Nation, and All Star Girls Report).

All but 2 have a HoopGurlz rating or a composite rating of around 10 or below. One senior from the 2013 high school class, seven seniors from 2014, three from the class of 2015 (including Arike), and one sophomore to be from the class of 2016.

Congrats, Arike!
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-04 16:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jessica was on the bench not fully in uniform so I presume she was injured. A'ja Wilson was also sidelined, but I guess she was going to make the team regardless. No UConn women were selected because they would not be able to play because of a team trip to Italy.

Erin played a heck of a game losing her defender two or three times for easy fast break layups. She was fairly instrumental in her Team 3 win, but failed to be chosen for the USA team.

It turns out that A'ja Wilson being on the sideline
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-09 11:07:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the final game of the trials was more serious than we thought. She had to withdraw from the team because of a groin sprain. Ohio State guard Linnae Harper has been added to the team, joining her backcourt teammate, Kelsey Mitchell. I'm a bit surprised they added another guard (Does that mean Arike loses some playing time?), especially with the outstanding showing of Erin Boley.

The 5'8" Linnae Harper, like Mercedes Russell, is from the high school class of 2013. She is a redshirt senior.

Championship Game Recap
by RISteve  (2017-08-04 15:13:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The team will be picked later today. Sounds like Erin Boley had another strong performance.

Link below:

Here are the rosters for the u23 Teams....
by dillon77  (2017-08-02 19:05:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that have been formed in Colorado Springs.

- Jessica is playing with Arike on Team #2, as is 6'6" Azura Stevens from UConn and 6'7" Teiaira McCowan from Mississippi State. No wonder Jessica was "stretch fouring" and launching threes!

- Jackie is on Team #4 with Brittany McPhee of Stanford and Napheesa Collier of UConn, among others.

- Erin Boley is on Team #3 with A'ja Wilson of South Carolina, Gabby Williams of UConn and Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon, who apparently is doing her best Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi combination.

Full list below.

Thanks for the update, Baba!

Today's games (August 3)
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-03 17:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Today were the semi final matchups. Unfortunately the write up on the USA Basketball site appears to confuse the team names. Thanks to dillon's rosters, I think I have made the proper corrections.

In the semis between Jackie Young’s Team 4 (which hadn’t won yet) and Team 3, it was a seesaw affair with Team 4 taking the lead at the half, 28-25, and then stretching it to 47-37. Team 3 came roaring back. With only 3 minutes to play, Team 3 scored 9 straight points and won, 65-60. While Team 4 remained without a victory, Jackie led all scorers with 16 points in the game.

The other match-up was Team 1 vs Team 2 (Arike and Jessica). Team 2 had only 1 defeat, but again it was a close contest in the second half as Team 1 came back from a 45-35 deficit at half time. The game was tied 65-65 with four minutes to play. Then Team 2 went to work with help from a 30-plus-foot heave by Arike with 12 seconds to go and the shot clock expiring. Team 2 won 79-71, and Arike had 14 points in a fairly balanced attack.

Quote by Arike: “There were a lot of runs in that game,” said Ogunbowale. “They made that big one in the second half to make it close, but our team came together and we finished it out. We’re going to have to play like we did today and a couple of the other games to win tomorrow. We have to look for each other and make the extra pass.”

Team 2 (Arike and Jessica) will play team 3 for the Trial gold on Friday. Team 1 and Team 4 play for the bronze.

Erin B had a nice game yesterday *
by RISteve  (2017-08-03 18:07:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, she led her Team 3
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-03 18:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a game high 20 points (an outrageous 9 of 12 shooting) to hand Team 2 its only defeat.

Erin's quote: “Our team has improved every single game, but I think it came down to toughness for us tonight,” said Boley following Team 3’s monstrous win. “Both teams, honestly, were exhausted, but I think we fought through it really well. We were hitting shots and were playing well together. We ran hard in transition too, and I think that made a big difference.”

Ah…what might have been. With Erin still around and Brianna (and Marina) healthy, it could have been Notre Dame vs. the world in U23. (There's a wink or a smiley face there somewhere.)

I almost forgot…
by BabaGhanouj  (2017-08-03 19:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friday’s gold medal game will be streamed live at 11:40 a.m. EDT on USAB.com/live

I should also add that Coach Cunningham made the trip to the Colorado training facility to support the women. From twitter: "Some of my fav bball exp were here. Now proud to watch @Arike_O @JShepard32 @JackieYoung3 have their own opportunity🍀"

I believe Niele and Carol Owens are at the Trials too
by RISteve  (2017-08-03 22:32:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link below