A question (about KK Bransford) and a request
by veets (2024-04-26 13:40:26)

Question:

I was under the impression that Bransford was in the transfer portal. But I've been seeing posts about next seasons's roster with her on it. Has she withdrawn her name, or was I wrong in thinking that she's in the portal?

Request:

When talking about players in any college sport, people tend to use the last names talking about men ("Alt was the 5th overall pick." or "Burton may enter the NBA draft"), but first names when talking about women ("Emma is..." or "Maddy is returning") Curiously, on this board, women players from other teams are referred to by their full names or last names most of the time.

In my opinion, referring to players by their first names makes them sound like "girls" rather than the women they are. It's a bit of a sore spot for me. I ran my town's youth basketball program for three years when my kids were playing (about 2,000 kids at the time). Coaching my daughters, I saw that the games weren't reffed like the boys games, many times leading to injuries. Refs tended to call fewer fouls and the girls new they could get away with more. It was part of the "treating them like girls" rather than "treating them like athletes" mentality.

So...just a suggestion.

Replies: