I actually have no inside knowledge, but I do know OSU will
by Domerduck (2024-04-25 16:30:45)
Edited on 2024-04-25 16:45:31

In reply to: So I might have caught on to something. For your sake  posted by MountainMan

do whatever it takes to preserve competitivenes of two sports, Baseball where they have been in 16 of the last 18 tourney's with 3 National Champioships, 6 World Series, and 8 regional championships and WCBB team which has made 8 of the last 10 tourneys with a Final 4, 3 Elite 8s, and 5 sweet 16's. Baseball sells out every game with SRO here in Corvallis so they chose to stay independent to make a tough schedule and are clearly the top baseball program on the West Coast They are generous w/NIL baseball money and have an OSU grad as their manager-Mitch Canham, who was on Pat Casey's 1st two NC teams. Sort of OSU's baseball version replacing his legend coach much like Niele Ivey did with Muffet at ND in CWBB.

I assume they will supports OSU grad Scott the same way. His WBB program gets better attendance than the men and only 4 coaches who will be leading their same teams next year have been better than the 5 S16/3 E8 NCAA tourney results the last 10 years like Scott: Geno, Dawn, Brenda Frese, and Jeff Walz. He's only matched by Iowa's coach Lisa Bluder, who does one up him with an extra Final 4 since she had CC the last 4 years. ND, Baylor, Stanford, and Texas also have done better the last 10 years but not with their current coach. Then there is Kim Mulkey & Vic Schaeffer who have also done better, but with multiple teams.

I think you have to put Scott in the top 10 of current WCBB coaches which I would include the 8 mentioned above + Niele & Wes Moore. If Scott can keep much of his team together, fill the gaps, and get back to the Sweet 16 next year that would be a miracle given what they are going through.