You seem to be making a distinction that doesn't exist yet.
by NDMike2001 (2024-04-17 14:54:07)
Edited on 2024-04-17 19:46:53

In reply to: How much of that was trend and how much was permanent?  posted by usaf_irish

Your post seems to suggest that the increased interest in women's basketball will be sustained. But we don't know that. Which was essentially my point. CC has a lot of pressure on her to sustain the kind of interest that those other generational talents did for long periods of time. But other than the NBA, the interest in those other sports was more about the generational talent than the sport itself, and the interest waned when the greatness did. Although golf revenue has definitely maintained its levels. But viewership and social media is definitely still improved by the mere presence of Tiger.

So the question is whether the WNBA interest will more reflect NBA type growth or women's soccer growth. The latter has been more tied to the greatness of teams/players like Mia Hamm, Carli Lloyd, etc. I haven't followed it closely, but it's my understanding that participation in girls' youth soccer in the US has been on the decline in recent years.