Cara Consuegra is the next Marquette HC
by RISteve (2024-04-17 13:28:41)
Edited on 2024-04-17 13:32:01

Wasn't that a big hit by Jay and the Americans? *
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-17 14:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a little cafe on the other side of the border.. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2024-04-17 18:50:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

POTD *
by SB Jimbo  (2024-04-17 15:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll play your timely request here at McGraw's Bench where
by MPG  (2024-04-17 14:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

many golden oldies are playing!

Very much obliged. They played at my high school junior
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-17 14:16:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prom. Mid-show they announced that their next song was their biggest money-maker. They broke into “Things go better with Coca Cola, things go better with Coke”.

That is a great story from the days when rock was young and
by MPG  (2024-04-17 14:32:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anything was possible when it came to groups performing at schools...

I Saw Vanilla Fudge in the Bleachers of a Local High School
by dillon77  (2024-04-17 16:03:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and it was a small high school!

And then I was the stage "guard" for Pete Seeger at my high school. Not that anyone would rush him singing "Little Boxes" or "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Good guy, btw. His wife was tough.

Has to be pretty underwhelming name for the fans
by Raoul  (2024-04-17 14:03:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

given her results at Charlotte. It is basically a commitment to ranging between 16-16 and 23-11 type seasons. Mostly WNIT and occasional NCAA. (Consuegra made NCAA only 1X in 13 years as HC)

The offset is she will probably make less than $350K vs well over $500K (and rising) for Duffy. I believe Consuegra was making about $220K. In the context of many colleges' budget issues and layoffs (Marquette has them as well) I can certainly understand this move. Faculty everywhere are pissed at layoffs and paying up big salaries for sports coaches is a problem - Marquette is under 2K a game attendance.

Her husband is a Marquette alum and apparently from WI. So a homecoming in that regard. Obviously the hope is that comes and is "successful" and stays long term and her staying, if successful, seems very likely. She played at end of her Iowa career for Lisa Bluder and that is what Marquette is probably hoping for her. Solid mostly winning coach who can get lucky with recruiting locally and spike to greater success at times.

First job is retaining what you got.

P.S. She took lots of transfers down from P5 at Charlotte. Shaka Smart is NOT a big transfer guy and prefers to retain and develop. I wonder if that was discussed.

Doesn't Feel Like a Top-Tier Choice, Does It.?
by dillon77  (2024-04-17 14:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the main reason that I say that was how long this took.
The Marquette AD moved fast last time out, so stretching this out was not modus operandi.

Or, maybe there was a clear first choice or two and those didn't go anywhere, so the next round took some time to whittle down.

That said, as Raoul said, there are professional and personal connections to Marquette and the Midwest. Will be interesting to see how retention goes, if a Mackenzie Hare could come off the transfer portal list and stay and who the new coach can pull out of the portal.

You may be right that they could not get 1st and 2nd choices
by Raoul  (2024-04-17 14:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to believe they inquired of some great candidates. If Tennessee was going with Caldwell then surely you can call people like Carla Berube and Lindy La Rocque among others (you can probably name the next 5 good names better than I can). I still preferred Gillespie based on her career and excellent IL and WI ties. I do wonder why Gillespie not chosen (probably more expensive - I think a married lesbian with kids, I certainly hope that didn't impact Marquette's decision in any way).

I do think there are broader issues going on like finances and then Consuegra really wanting the job and maybe her and husband returning home to where met/married etc.

Who knows. Maybe it all works out. But there is not much evidence that she can improve upon Duffy or Kieger, and significant evidence that she will underperform them in recruiting (Kieger) and coaching (Duffy).

I do believe that Michaela Mabrey and anyone else who wants to coach at the highest levels better get out there and become a HC early. That is the clear message of this year's hires. Assistants >> P5 job aren't happening and even MAC jobs probably limited to prior HC experience. And I agree with that were I an AD.

Have To Think Michaela or Charel Are Banking on Next Year
by dillon77  (2024-04-17 16:00:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to catapult ND into the higher echelon and -- in turn -- their names into HC play.

I can understand assistant coaches at major programs being a bit picky: the pay has undoubtedly increased so they don't have to jump at the first bite.

Still, if you look at recent ND alumni moves:

- Beth Morgan Cunningham, who was a head coach at VCU for 9 years, went from being an assistant coach at ND and Duke, to Missouri State;
- Melissa D'Amico Graves, after being an assistant at Yale and Wake Forest, got the Boston University position.

But, as you said, even schools like Toledo are looking for head coaching experience: they hired the head coach from Monmouth, NJ. Hey, that's just a few miles from the Mabrey's residence? Hmmmm.

Mabrey copuld do worse than replacing Boggess at Monmouth
by Raoul  (2024-04-17 17:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see very few Neile Ivey - Kate Paye type situations happening anymore. The stakes are too high. It will only happen when a 25+ year legend coach retires and has more power than the AD on naming a replacement (MM, Tara, Coach K) and they reward a longtime loyal assistant. There are very few of those anymore.

As for Cunningham, she really didn't improve her chances at a HC by becoming an assistant at ND and Duke. She was already HC at VCU. You would have thought she could do better than Missouri State.

Today's ADs will pay up - but they want a history of success. I guarantee you La Rocque turned down very good jobs, same with Berube. Heck, they may have even been called by Tennessee.

The real problem right now is so few black female HCs, especially at the "starter" schools. Coaching entrepreneurship is the key. Go somewhere small and win. That is what Caldwell did a couple times.

Agree on Mabrey. Cunningham Had Extenuating Circumstances
by dillon77  (2024-04-18 10:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..that led her to leave a pretty successful stint at VCU to return to ND as an assistant coach.

Cunningham left VCU abruptly. Why? A hint came later when she filed a complaint against Norwood Teague when he was the athletic director at VCU. VCU paid Cunningham $125,000 in July 2012 to settle the complaint.

Teague was later hired by Minnesota (how the search firm hired to do this missed that one is beyond me) and he didn't last long. Why? Sexual harrassment charges were filed by internal and external people and he was gone.

She and her husband -- both ND grads -- liked South Bend a lot and were probably taken out of left field a bit when she wasn't offered an assistant slot with Coach Ivey (her call), leading to going to Duke for awhile.
Still, like you, I expected her to find a bit more high-profile position than Missouri State.

She's had two 20-win seasons but lots of transfers out this year. It will be a transfer and coaching challenge this year. If she can pull a W out of the hat, maybe she can nudge up a conference.

I agree...I think Michaela could do a lot worse than Monmouth. School likes hoops, it's in a talent-rich area where she could establish/deepen relationships that will help her there and the next stop and she's close to home. Will keep track of this one.

As you say, assistants at top programs can probably
by Raoul  (2024-04-18 15:53:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make as much or more than HC. What does Mabrey make? I bet $150K to $250K range. If so, then MANY HC roles she would get considered for are laterals on pay.

But you have to be the man before getting the top job IMO. No P5/6 school needs to hire someone else's assistant unless a disastrous situation.

I hope Cunningham got a call from Marquette. Better resume than Consuegra.

Maybe when Bruno retires at DePaul she will get called for that.

Given the ND Connection, I'd Hope Cunningham Got a Call
by dillon77  (2024-04-19 08:55:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Marquette Athletic Director, given his long stint at ND, would certainly know (of) Beth and could just speed dial Muffet to get input.

Two jobs in Chicago should be opening up soon: DePaul (as you said) and Northwestern, when "Uncle Joe" hangs it up (I'm surprised he's still there.)
Beth's agent should be all over both of them...