Stats of Starters next year.
by Irishwest (2024-04-16 09:29:39)

So not to salivate ( okay a little) about next years lineup but here goes.

Maddy: 13.1 Average over last 4 years.
Sonia; 14.6 Average over last 3 years.
Miles: 14.0 Average over last 2 years.
Hannah: 22.6 Average for last year. ( I would expect this to drop)

Prosper: 8.2 Average for last year ( Albeit only 5 games) She in my opinion has the most upside potential. Long athletic and very mobile.

Risch: also limited to 7 games and averaged 4.6. She is our shooter when needed with again high ceiling potential.

Add in Koval and hoped for 8-12 points from the post and you have a "Murders row" of possibilities.

So, thoughts? Final Four chance if there ever was one. Need another big ( or 2) and need to stay healthy.

Always Factor in the Irish Curse we get each Season.🤕🍀 * * *
by bohratom  (2024-04-16 16:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On Risch
by PWK2  (2024-04-16 14:59:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought she looked lost in her few games. I hope a year of observation helps her. She can provide distance gunning no one else on the team can.

Any evaluation of Emma Risch's early season should be viewed
by MPG  (2024-04-16 19:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with some caution, given that she was probably feeling some discomfort from the condition that resulted in her hip surgery. I saw enough from her to feel optimistic about her future at ND.

Likewise with Cass Prosper, she was probably limited by the developing stress fracture or whatever her foot injury was...

Completely fair. *
by PWK2  (2024-04-17 11:16:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My concern with Emma is that she was on a very short...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-16 18:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

leash last year. It seemed like she would substitute in, play only 1-2 minutes and then come out. There is no way to get into kind of rhythm or a feel for the game that way. You have to with through a mistake here and there and figure things out.

Her game, in my opinion is more like Sonia's. She can shoot from three very well but she also rebounds, defends the baseline, and can drive and pass from the wing. Sonia's game is more advanced right now by far, but that is the model that Emma should be striving for.

Agree on Two Counts
by dillon77  (2024-04-17 07:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Niele displayed Muffet-like tendances in the "play and pull" way Emma got into and out of games. That might've been because -- at the time -- Cass, Emma, Anna and, of course, Soni were all around. That will change radically next year with Soni, knock on wood, off to the WNBA.

- If she recovers well from the hip injury (good thoughts abound), Emma might benefit from the medical redshirt in that she'll get one year to back up Soni and then three on top of it to do her thing (which, as Cav pointed out, has a lot of Soni-esque qualities). She's fundamentally solid and already (at the NJIT game), I saw her let the game come to her.

Not to worry
by ram  (2024-04-16 15:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought she looked good at all the things freshmen usually struggle with: defense & rebounding
She struggled getting good looks on offense

Next year she can just sit in the weak side corner & make shots
It won’t surprise me if she breaks records next year with all the attention paid to 2 penetrating guards & a low post threat

How do you game plan for all these weapons

Hate to be the spoiler but must
by nd67  (2024-04-16 16:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bring up the 200 minutes availability for 5 positions.
With Olivia, Soni, HH and possible/ probable transfers
in, how many minutes will she play? I know some will
make guesses but a lot of things have to happen yet.
And don’t forget Cass, guard or small forward?
This team has a lot of offensive potential but a lot
of pieces still have to come together.

injury
by knuteberg  (2024-04-16 15:24:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope that her hip injury that required surgery was not so severe that she cannot play. Her high school tape showed an amazing shooting ability from three and that skill would definitely be beneficial to any team challenging for a national championship . Niele is very tight lipped about injuries so not sure when we will know for certain I wish her the best and if she cannot play at least she will get a wonderful education

If A Shooting Guard Comes in Via the Portal...
by dillon77  (2024-04-16 16:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that's how we'll know. Anna DeWolfe's joining the Irish should've been a major tip in retrospect. (Add in Jenna Brown's injury and Anna was even more of a godsend.)

Personally, I hope not to see such an announcement (for Emma's sake).

Where Cass is, is intriguing. Last time she played if I
by Jon  (2024-04-16 13:25:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

remember, she was a little sloppy and not at the progress she should've been.

On the other hand, her friendship/chemistry with HH seems to be top notch. Off court and on. If you watch clips, she's HH's biggest hype man on the bench.

Cass is very young...about the same age as HH *
by drmurray  (2024-04-16 13:40:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. Makes sense they would bond *
by ram  (2024-04-16 14:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ability to Play Multiple Positions Will Aid/Enhance Team
by dillon77  (2024-04-16 09:46:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Soni can play anywhere from the 1 to the 4, but will see most time at the 2-3.
- Cass could be playing 3-4 (the latter under the guise of a 4-guard attack)

I think a lot of this will be triggered whenever Cass comes in (I suspect she'll be the first person off the bench and will stay in that rotation).
If Hannah needs a spell, Soni could shift to the 2 and Cass takes on the 3.
If Liv needs out, Hannah goes to lead guard, Soni goes 2 and Casss the 3, etc.

Like you I expect not just Hannah's ppg to drop a little, but all of them to be in the teens. Kate's average may start on the lower end of the projection, but fully expect it to rise against teams where there are mismatches. Niele, Mike (on scout) and our whole team are quick to see advantages and get the ball there. And Kate already knows how to seal.

So many more options with a full, healthy roster. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-16 10:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nicely done and yes. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-16 09:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post