It was selected to praise the irish and their fighting spirit.
by vinceirish (2007-03-10 13:12:03)

In reply to: Is it time to drop the "Irish" nickname?  posted by ndoldtown

Also, it may not be related but Father Corby blessed the Irish troops at the battle of Gettysburg. By the way, I hate political correctness.

I heard a different story about the "fighting" part of the name
by saNDiego  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the story went that the word "fighting" was added to the name after a violent street fight broke out between the students at the university and a group of KKK members who had come to South Bend.

Is there any truth to that?

Read "Notre Dame and the Klan". ND students went against a big
by irishbacker  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Klan rally in late spring of 1924, basically leading to the elimination of the Klan as a viable political organization in Indiana. Prior to that, the Klan had grown to a major force in Indiana, basically controlling state politics. Within a few months of the riot, ND had won it's first consensus national football championship (4 horsemen year) and the Indiana Klan leader was convicted of 2nd degree murder. Go Fightin' Irish!

Thanks *
by saNDiego  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You apparently also hate sarcasm. *
by HowardRoark  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post