You have done a great service with your post
by Geoff (2007-03-10 13:12:03)

In reply to: Is it time to drop the "Irish" nickname?  posted by ndoldtown

We live in the 21st Century. We are beyond using offensive slurs about the shanty Irish as our team's mascot. The potato famine happened a long time ago. Let's get over that.

I disagree with your suggestion about "The Crusaders." That is too religious. It might offend non-Christians. We don't want to do that. I suggest we follow Stanford and rename our disgusting "Fighting Irish" to "Green."

The University of Notre Dame Green. Much better. Only ignorant assclowns would want to keep "The Fighting Irish."

Your suggestion could also link us in to the environmental movement
by ndoldtown  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be very good PR for the University. But how about a better mix of the Crusader clad in green who wields his broadsword against SUV's and inefficient lightbulbs? This is the type of thinking that could move ND forward, but that we dont see because the administration is so fearful of change.

The Crusader sounds too Catholic
by Geoff  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would smack of popery. The last thing we need is a mascot that might appeal to all of those Maryists ruining our great country.

I do like the idea of a character with a sword bashing an SUV. Why not replace the offensive Crusader with a member of the Ulster Irish?

Then I suppose "Cardinals" is out. *
by zulu  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crusader also sounds a lot like
by greengael  (2007-03-10 13:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The College of the Holy Cross. The Crusaders. And let's not forget "Crusader Rabbit"