Thsi post should be thumbtacked at top of Board...
by Scoop80 (2006-02-22 12:59:45)

In reply to: Hesburgh / Leahy  posted by Leahy

It says so much about the university and about the people involved. It shows, for example, that Ted/Ned would never have allowed the Moore fiasco get so out of hand. A major part of the job involves handling the human side of difficult situations, and Ted/Ned understood that fact far more than Monk/Beauchamp ever could.

Erecting the statue of your father was long overdue.

Thanks for the kind words.
by Leahy  (2006-02-22 12:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BTW, my mother and your sister were in a car pool together...
by Scoop80  (2006-02-22 12:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ca. 1967. My sister (class of '83) and your niece attended the same kindergarten/pre-school in the Chicago SW burbs, and my mother and your sister split the driving. My mother recalls stories about your father's drivenness that you have already recounted here.

What is probably most fascinating about your father's career is that, as the line coach at Fordham under Jim Crowley, he coached a guard who proved to be just as driven as a coach as your father was.

Rockne coached Leahy... Leahy coached Lombardi !
by Leahy  (2006-02-22 12:59:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Possibly the three greatest coaches ever.