I don't have many regrets as a parent so far
by buffaloirish (2024-04-30 10:14:03)

In reply to: Assorted learnings from riding a bus to school.  posted by Bruno95

But two stand out: (1) that my sons weren't able to attend an all-boys Jesuit school, and (2) that my kids have never ridden a bus to school.

The bus to St. Greg's in Williamsville was C-120. Basically, all my first notions about sexual congress, what it required, and the appropriate terminology for it were formed on that bus. When I was in 4th grade, for example, there was a very knowledgeable 6th grader who confidently told us all what "cunting" was (referring to male ejaculate) and how we'd soon have wet dreams, during which we'd "cunt" and have to wash our sheets. To this day, I have not heard anyone speak with such authority on any subject.

The high school bus was really just for psychological and physical brutality. Most kids from the suburbs got a ride downtown to school from an older sibling or neighborhood kid, or from their parents. But all the freshman were expected to ride the bus for the first couple of weeks of school just so they could be initiated by the upper classmen. If you were lucky, you just had to push a penny down the aisle with your nose. Worse were the nut-taps and charley horses. A plus was that a lot of the earlier-created confusion around sexuality and related terminology was cleared up, with the boasts of upper classmen who claimed to have had already done some blind fumbling around the back of a car with some chick from Niagara Falls.

None of these buses had seatbelts.