your greatest campus prank?
by FightOnForMorrissey (2005-11-09 01:07:25)

I remember a few, but one that my dad related takes the cake.

In the late 60's they had an RA that they just absolutely hated.

After he went to bed, they built -- with real mortar and cement -- a brick wall in front of his door.

ND Fire Dept. had to come and extend a ladder to his window so he could get out.

No one ever fessed up & no one got in trouble -- I think the administration was just impressed with the organization and complexity of the prank that they let it go after some initial investigation.

sorry I'm so late on this thread....
by gipper69  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's hard to pick out my favorite.
Back in the winter of '69 we kept up a nightly conversation with campus security guard who answered the ND phones at night. We were always working on the campus cops.
One night during a heavy wet snowfall we called up security and one of us told security that he was helping push his roommate out of the snow and the cars slid back breaking his foot. They sent one of their wagons around to the back of Farley to pick him up. By that time we'd rolled a snowball about 5 ft. in diameter and had it on the edge of the roof. Collapsed the security car roof about 2 feet.

I wish I could remember more than this
by Tim Neely  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. The time when friends of mine who lived down the hall in Cavanaugh stole the street sign from the intersection of Juniper and Bulla roads and put it up at an intersection of two sidewalks in the middle of the North Quad. Not malicious, just fun. That one made The Observer.

2. The same guys grabbed a "for sale" sign from somewhere off campus and put it in front of Cavanaugh Hall, on the side facing BP, right along the main sidewalk.

3. I related this on the Hoops Memories board. These same characters knew people at other schools. One of their friends, a Northwestern student, stole the "Purdue Pete" mascot from a Purdue-Northwestern hoops game the Saturday before. He crashed in my friends' room Sunday night, then showed up at the Monday night Notre Dame basketball game wearing the Purdue Pete mascot. And ND wasn't playing Purdue... The guy was chased off the court and nabbed by ND Security. The incident made the front page of The Observer the next day. Lots of high-fives all around about that one.

4. All the people who remember Kersten running for "king" reminded me of Mike Molinelli's "Molarity" comic strip and the year he had Jim Mole's terrorist friend (Chuck Mason) run for student body president. What started as a gag in the strip turned into a full-blow real-life campaign. The problem was that the pooftahs at Ombudsman, who helped run the elections, wouldn't allow his name on the ballot. That didn't stop 543 people from writing him in. None of those votes were official, of course, but he still got more votes than anyone else running except for the winners that year. We weren't allowed to announce that vote total, but we at OBUD counted them privately. So now it can be told.

5. I had many pranks pulled on me, especially my freshman year, because, frankly, I was kind of a dork. The one that really sticks out was the old "telephone repairman" gag, and I fell for it hook, like and sinker. Just before midnight on a Sunday night/Monday morning, one of my dorm mates called me, pretending to be the phone company, telling me that Bell Telephone was working on the line, and that the phone had to keep ringing until he was done or the repairman would be electrocuted. Well, I did just what he said. I let the phone ring. And ring. And ring. Meanwhile, I fell asleep as it kept ringing! About 1:15 am, well over an hour after this started, my angry next-door neighbor, who was putting up with this ringing phone as he tried to sleep, finally got so pissed that he practically knocked down the door trying to get at my phone. I heard him barge in, and that woke me up. I yelled at him, "Don't pick up that phone!!" But he refused to listen, and he picked up the receiver. As I lay there, I hear a piercing "OWWWWWWW!" on the other end. My roommate was nowhere around, and I later found out that he was in on it. By second semester, both of us were living in single rooms...

I can't believe I'm repeating this.....
by ND1gal  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One my friends got his roommate good in Grace Hall. John's roommate was always pulling pranks on him and rubbing it in. John got him back big time. He, shall we say, "got off" into Kevin's conditioner container. Needless to say, when John was told (of course 2 weeks later) of the added contents of his conditioner, he was not a happy camper.

Two roommates, two stories.
by 47oft  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My freshman year roommate and I didn't get along ........ and that doesn't even count Crackling Rosie and ABC (Easy as 1 2 3). As a matter of fact, he didn't particularly get along with most everyone, especially the frosh quad next door. Oh yeah, he was tough to live with and I was a picnic. And who knows, he's probably a great guy now. But back then, well a book would be needed to depict his entire set of foibles.

Anyway, he hooked up with a rather attractive SMC chick at an early smoker. But, because he was such a pompous ass, she dumped him before October came and went (a rather expensive and humorous story unto itself).

So, for his spring birthday, he received a notice to pick up a package at the ND post office. It was wrapped in brown paper and had Happy Birthday written on it as well as her name and SMC return address. You know the birthday boy was nothing if not a perfect target. All day, he walked around campus, around the lake, carrying his package, smiling, savoring the moment. He told me and our other roommate that she came back as he knew she would. They always do; you just must stand by your principles.

Finally, in the evening, he opened the package and proceeded to unfold the tin foil to reveal a rather ripe log that had been ever so delicately packaged with an attempt to hide the aroma until full disclosure. The birthday boy's response was an "Oh Shit" followed by a hand washing.

The second roommate story was from sophomore year. He was a rather strange bird who became our roommate by default because our original roommate had decided to transfer. Oh yeah, he was strange and I was normal. He had an expensive stereo system that we were welcome to use; and we did so, even over an extended weekeend in which he went home to Oklahoma. Well, we broke the stylus, necessitating a rather harried weekend finding and then spending nearly 40.00 on the replacement, a tidy sum in those days ... especially for a couple of paupers. I don't remember if he noticed it or we just fessed up, but we did end up telling him the story. At that point, he told us that it was already broken and that he was eventually going to need to replace it. Then, in his true strange fashion, he said thanks and that he no longer needed to replace it. Singed. Singed bad.

The victim of my only prank was me - there are some who will tell
by gmurphy  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what it was. There is no way on earth that I'll put it on this board, though - considering I'd only be abasing myself.

Beheading Stanford Bull
by FaustYears  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My brothers (early 70's) tell the Miceli bowling ball story and a couple of the Burtchaell stories.

My best personal was in early 1980's, after night of carousing I ended up in Stanford for one of the few times at ND. We came across a large stuffed bull and heisted it. Turns out it was the STanford mascot. This was during football season. We then sent put various ransom notes in Observer, which were not met. We then cut off an ear, later another ear, the tail and and eye at various intervals in the winter and mailed them to Stanford dorm officers.

I don't know if this tradition continues, but during An Tostal there used to be chariot races. DIllon's chariot was designed to look like a giant red penis. There was a parade on campus of all the chariots. We bought some plastic roman armor and a sword and dressed up our chariot driver. During the parade various dorms throw water balloons etc at you. We stopped our chariot in front of Stanford and were bombarded with water baloons, insults etc. Our driver than produced the earless, tailless, one eyed bull and cut its head off in front of STanford, then began shaking stuffing out of it as we pulled the chariot off. The howls of outrage were priceless.

Stanford tried to steal the Dillon flag in retaliation several times and after I graduated I heard they were succesful but campus security caught them before the could burn the flag.

Nerds
by GraceHall99  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My junior year, a couple of freshman tried to get my roommates and I with the old trashcan of water against the door trick. We knew what they were doing and were able to remove the can without a problem.

But of course payback was inevitable. I for some reason had literally thousands of little bags of Nerds candy (the size people hand out at Halloween. We emptied the contents of every single bag into a garbage can (it was over half way full), walked down the hall, and just threw the entire trash can of Nerds on their carpet. The beauty of it was that a vaccuum cleaner wouldn't pick them up. The only way they could get them off the carpet was to pick each one up by hand.

I do give them credit though. After they picked them all up, they tried to get us back by throwing them all into our room. The problem was we were able to close our door before they could throw them in so they just went all over the hallway. And, as luck would have it, our Rector walked by at the same time, so they had to go through the process of picking up each individual Nerd, again.

Rookies.

Had a roommate in Alumni that slept in the nude.....
by Irish72  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....his bed was next to the radiator so one night we sprinkled powdered sugar on his sheets and turned the heat up full blast after he had gone to bed. Next morining he looked like a glazed donut.

About Debo's story . . .
by Austin316  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The credit mostly goes to my engineer roommates who could be about as destructive as Lex Luthor and Brainiac when they got going. The best part was after the victims convinced themselves they had just left the door unlocked by accident, we started leaving them voice mails from their own phones at odd hours of the night. This effectively creeped out the victims. After a few futile attempts at retaliation, they basically just gave up.

Classic line from the Fire Department
by Domer99  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a cute friend who senior year was an RA in one of the new West Quad dorms. Well, she happens to have red hair.

One night at about 3 in the morning she gets a phone call saying that he was from the Notre Dame Fire Department. She thinks the worst. Maybe a girl in her section was in trouble or that the building was on fire. The voice on the other line says "Mam, This is the Notre Dame Fire Department and we'd like to report that your crotch is on fire."

Freaking Hysterical.

Coley O'Brien's freshman year room-mate
by MikeyDogs  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.. was an absolutely psycho shitkicker linebacker I know his first name was Ronnie but can't remember his last name. He was a stocky, barrell-chested guy who had a mean streak a mile wide, would just as soon bust you in the face as shake your hand and even the other football players on the floor steered clear of him.

Coley was a supernice, typical preppy guy. He studied, was neat and olitee, never got into trouble, etc. But Coley wasn't a real big guy - maybe 6'0, 180 pounds as a freshman. Ronnie had about 50 pounds on him and delighted in doing disgusting things to Coley and others on the floor. His favorite prank was to piss in the room sink while you watched helplessly. I can't remember for sure, but I also think he crapped in a few sinks as well. And not just in Coley's sink but others on the floor. He went throgh Coley and series of other roommates in several weeks until nobody would live with him. He wound up being the only guy in this freshman dorm to live as a single.

Ronnie either flunked out, was thrown out or was encouraged to transfer after the first semester- back to Lamar College in Texas.

We also had a baseball player in this dorm named Stu who was quite the ladies man and sneaked out regularly after curfew to visit townies. One night he was really drunk and itching to get out but was unable to get past the guards. I believe there had been a big security crackdown due to a lot of guys sneaking out. Anyhow, in his drunken stupor he decided to hangdrop from his third floor window onto the sidewalk on the side of the dorm leading to the library. He reasoned he would make less noise when he hit the sidewalk if he removed his shoes. He didn't count on breaking both his ankles when he landed. Being already on probation, this led to his expulsion

I super-glued Burtchell in his room in dillon hall one night
by quasimodo  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lived in Dillon in the early '70's and Burtchell who was provost in those days lived in dillon and in general made a prick out of himself busting people for just about every offense under the sun. His ego was so big I think he needed two rooms, one for him and one for his ego. What an obnoxious bastard, but I digress.

One night in the fall after I graduated, I snuck back into dillon hall with a friend at about 2:00am. We proceeded to put super glue in every area of the door jam and plugged it in with epoxy ribbon. We then took some other epoxy and plugged his lock and sealed his door knob so it wouldn't turn. We then snuck off into the night...

Early the next morning, sunday, he tried to get out to go say mass. No luck. He called maintainence who couldn't get a crow bar into the door jam to pry it open as it was too full of glue. Finally, they had to call a couple of FB linemen who lived in the hall to break down the door to the accompanyment of local dillonite cheers.

The prank made the scholastic and observer completing Burtchell's humiliation.

Although he never proved it was me (and even if he could what could he do, retroactively pull my diploma?) he knew it was me and still talks about me to this day with a gleam of hatred in his eye. It's good to be remembered by such a fine gentleman.

Postscript: I just located the issue of the scholastic that describes the event. See P33 of the linked document

Quasi

Remind me to buy you a round next time I see you! JB SUCKED! *
by drmurray  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for you...Burtchell = Satan. *
by Francisco Brothers  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was never the same after ND admitted women...strange... *
by BigShu  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my only regret was
by quasimodo  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that I didn't sneak back into Dillon after the glue dried and pulled the fire alarm.

The thought of Tunstead (J. Tunstead Burtchell) frantically trying to get out his door as the alarm rang or perhaps jumping from his third floor window to escape has tormented me throughout the years as a major missed opportunity.

I still have the scholastic article in a box of old stuff. It called me an "ingenious prankster". Never could take credit though as Tunstead has been out for my scalp to this day.

Quasi

Another great one
by Irish 01  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't believe I forgot this one...

One night we all went out to The Boat Club, which is like the new Bridget's. They have $5 cover & penny pitchers (like Bridget's). Well, we actually got a table one night & after drinking a couple of pitchers, no one wanted to get up to take a piss b/c the line was so damn long. Of course, my buddy felt like pissing in the pitchers was a good idea. Before long a couple of pitchers were passed around & filled. We put them all on the ground, save one. My buddy bet us that someone would drink it. So we sat it on the table next to us & waited for some desperate underclassman to give up waiting for a slightly warm pitcher for this completely full, but very warm pitcher.

Like clock-work this young girl walks over (must have been SMC), looks around to see if anyone is watchng & grabs the pitcher. Returning with a smile to her friends sitting at a table. 5 of them, all with empty cups. She fills each one & they all drink the entire thing without even flinching. It had to be one of the funniest/most disgusting things I have ever seen. Long live penny pitchers & drunk underclassman.

Irish 01

Another
by Irish 01  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I swear, reading these stories makes the old ones come back!

Much like the piss beer, we use to have 40's at 4 in our room in Dillon. Of course afterwards, we would have a lot of leftover 40s laying around with a couple of swigs or more left. In our wisdom, we decided to combine all the last swigs into one 40...which we kept in our room for about 3 months until we deemed it worthy to give to a freshman. The kid was so happy that we were giving him beer he never even questioned it. We saw him take a few drinks, but not sure if he finished...we were trying so hard not to laugh, we couldn't hang around to check. YUM.

Irish 01

Keg Softball similar story.
by Francisco Brothers  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keg softball game between two different Grace sections. Of course, the game requires chugs at the corners. Roommate and I become fed up with smart ass freshman. Roommate and others fill chug cup with piss. Freshman reaches third on my throwing "error", chugs piss, scores run, and begins trash talking. Pisser and I allow the taunting to continue for a few minutes and then advise him that he drank a 12 ounce cup of piss. Freshman pukes and shuts up.

Good show
by Crizotch  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My rooms typically kept a collection of "piss beers" (screw off bottles) in our fridge for the inevitable weekend drop-ins by homely SMCs.

I should have taken names; I could mail them all a letter now.

There are many, great on the one hand and incriminating on the other.
by 47oft  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, here's one.

The situation:

My senior year was to be the 2nd year of coed at ND, and consequently another two dorms received the floral treatment. In those days, moving off campus didn't have the allure that it might today, even for seniors.

Well, the refugees from those two newly designated female dorms were guaranteed on campus housing, groups of around 20 being assigned to each non female dorm. What that meant for our dorm (and I assume others) was that a number of current residents were going to be forced off campus through a lottery system. Juniors-to-be took up about a third of the hit, and seniors-to-be took the other two thirds.

Now, being as it was our senior year, we were assembling a 14 member section (8 seniors and 6 sophomores) that would ensure getting every last ounce out of our academic pursuits and mentoring the youngsters to carry on in a like manner. The newly constructed section was a combination of the Happy Hour section and the Out-Of-Control section from junior year, but of course without the evil influences of those who achieved the aforementioned names.

Unfortunately, I and two others from our group were lotteried off; and, unless enough of the higher seeds were deciding to move off campus, that was going to put a crimp in our study group. Alas, an informal poll determined that not nearly enough higher seeds were going to move off campus. Thus we needed to bring our ND education to bear.

The warroom:

Hey, it was Thursday, and that meant Barnaby's - mug club with 1.00 pitchers and pizza game. By the time we had each downed a pitcher of dark beer, won or lost in the pizza game, and scavenged leftovers from other tables, we had the germ of a plan. We fleshed it out and executed it to perfection.

The plan:

We gathered three of our friends (from among the evil influences previously mentioned) who were planning to move off campus and asked their assistance. There were six rooms in the section, and we used the top lottery picks (including one of those helping us) to grab each room, picking roommates from the lower seeds and sophomores. It didn't matter because we were going to reshuffle the rooms anyway, needing a lounge - make that a study lounge.

On three occassions, we executed the plan. My junior roommate, who was moving off campus, picked a double in the section and brought my brother (sophomore) in as his roommate. They both put down 50.00 deposits. Then when all picks were completed, out of the kindness of their heart they forced me in, making the double a triple; and I plunked down my 50.00 deposit. The university loved this because they got three rents where they expected two.

However, when it was time to sign the contract later in the week, my brother and I did so; but the guy that picked the room declined, saying he decided to move off campus, and got his 50.00 back. My brother and I were inked, and the university could not force in a new third roommate because all forced situations had to be agreed to by all parties.

The follow-up:

People were pissed. Many of our dormmates thought we cheated and should use the traditional kiss ass method for getting ahead. (They spent their time hanging out with the rector, humoring him while indulging in the food and beverage he kept in supply. We just quoted Mick Jagger to them.

We also heard that Fr Riehle voided the entire deal, but nobody wanted to change the outcome. So we let the university save face while we just got faced (although we fully understood that the university could have screwed us had they so desired).

A couple for you all.
by NDBlue  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not at ND, but funny none the less.

Every year when the new freshman would come in, we would take the fire extinguishers and lie in wait. When one would get in the showers, they would get the bath of their lives. I never thought you could get someone to move that fast.

We were hanging out late night in a girls dorm drinking and smoking some of the sweetleaf when we were flushed out by their RA. The five of us who were present end up racing through the dorms to hide from the cops who were to arrive shortly. We took a turn and ended up in a supply room for some upcoming campus event. Spent the next hour or so fattening ourselves up on free M&M and Snickers bars, while we waited for an all clear.

Last and best. The Biology department had this aluminum fishing boat that they would take out on our campus lake and take readings in. One drunken night, we broke in to the lab areas and "borrowed" the boat. One of my floor mates had just gotten back from a road trip to Mardi Gras and he had stopped to pick of a fireworks "cake" and a long waterproof fuse. We lit the fuse and floated the boat as far out into the lake as we could before this massive string of explosions began. That thing woke up half the damn campus at about 3 in the morning. They never did find out who did it.

Not great, but fun as hell.
by Crizotch  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

11th floor Grace water games:

On Friday and Saturday nights the entrance to Grace was always a gauntlet of drunk smokers. In an attempt at crowd dispersal our 11th floor section would consistently dump huge garbage cans of water (or whatever fluid like substance was available - vomit was a popular choice some evenings) from the top study lounge directly onto the smoking crowd below. The most amusing part was the plant we'd throw down near the crowd to shout out "They're in the [insert whatever other floor] study lounge!" thus causing an unwitting floor to be rampaged by irate, and soaked, drunks.

Some buddies and I ran for class office and managed to talk the current class officers into letting us use their office. We sent out 9000 voicemail messages to the campus netting us 68 total votes. Of course, I never claimed to be popular.

Not sure if this tradition is still alive, but a St. Ed's resident stole a midget suit of armor from the Snite and it was passed from room to room in said dorm. Dubbed "Sir Osis of Liver".

Student Body President 96-97
by TUCIRISH  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lived with the student body president 96-97 his junior year. He used to come home late hands all filled with books, mail and his dry cleaning. The roomates and I used to sit on the couches, each with a can of right guard, lights off and as he walked in the door shot blue flames at him lighting his dry cleaning plastic on fire, look on his face was priceless. This one also works well when your buddy in on the crapper, a nice blue flame underneath will help that yo cream come right out.

#2 Litte something for all of you RA's. As a senior I was an RA so some kids used to screw with me a bit, one in particular but I couldn't get him back being an RA. So I took my one day while he was at class, went into his room, all the while documenting this on film, took his tooth brush and took pictures of it while I pissed on it and let it float in the toliet, returned it to his medicine cabinet and sent him the pictures after I had graduated. Fantastic.

A college kid with dry cleaning?
by Kayo  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He deserved worse than you did to him.

Yeah, that sounds like Hammonds. That pud! *
by Nappy  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely a tool.*

nfm

Miller
by TUCIRISH  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One more, as a Freshman I lived next door to a fantastic stoner who kept a Parrot in his room. He used to get it stoned and take it to the shower, never found out. Dillon Hall.

Anyone remember a guy by the name of Paul Peralez?

Senior year broke into a friend's room repeatedly throughout the semester and would unscrew his thermostat with peppers and summer sausage, also hide it under his bed in the pockets of the pants he never wore. Women would come in, complain about the smell, near the end of the semester the guy was burning so many candles to help the smell nearly lit the place on fire.

Also Sean Horner, remember that kid. We used to start fires in his rec. room while he was asleep. see him come running and screaming out of his bunk to try and put the fire out.

was that Hammonds or Schwartz? *
by Special_K  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One time during finals,
by dillonhall  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my roomate went to the next room and shit into on of those old fashioned percolating coffee pots while the guys were in the study lounge. We hung out in their room drinking beer awaiting their return. When they started pouring and drinking the coffee, we alsmost spit the beer we were drinking out our noses. We eventually went back to our room. About an hour later when they went to make more coffee, their scream was blood curdling.

Not mine
by HTownND  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But a buddy went out for penny pitchers at Bridget's and came back out of his mind and passed out in the common room couch. His roomates, one a football trainer, decided to put a cast on his arm, and tell him he fell on the ice and broke his arm. When he awoke, he bought the story hook line and sinker. He called his Mom, who called the insurance company, who didn't have it filed yet. They called St. Joe's, they called everyone. He also had a paper due the following day, so he began typing with one arm, and doing all the regular stuff a guy with a broken arm would do. Eventually, they told him it was fake and he could take it off. Lasted a good 24 hours.

Campus Carts
by Nappy  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also not nearly as great as many of these others, but humorous nontheless. I managed to find one of the ClubCar transport golf carts that they used to help injured students to class unchained outside the JACC. Seeing these poor kids with busted legs and blown out knees was awfully pathetic and the volunteer drivers were ususally quite careful and courteous. I had a universal key to these carts, so I took off with it to Flanner and quickly locked it up with my own chain behind the dumpster. For the next couple of days, me and the boys got ourselves bandaged up with gauze, knee braces, and fake casts and drove around campus like complete nuts, speeding and yelling obscenities to the pedestrians. On the second day, I drove with my head completely wrapped in fake blood soaked gauze with just enough of a slit to see and weaved all over the sidewalks. One of my cohorts had his groin taped up and the other had rigged up a phony leg amputation. When we came to a screeching halt in front of Flanner, everything stopped. The cart was gone when we returned from class.

New dogs, but same tricks...
by Pocket Hercules  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your friend got lucky. My freshman year, one of the seniors (juniors?) in our dorm got so shitfaced while golfing that he simply took one of the golf carts and drove it around campus like a maniac all day.

The guy was such a drunk and had such sunken, barely awake eyes that we used to call him "Quaalude". Honest to God - that was the guy's name. Nobody even knew his real name.

Anyway, they kicked him off campus in about two seconds after they caught up with him.

Go Dawgs!
Go IRISH!
Go IrishUnity.com!

Mike

another golf cart story
by ndgolf01  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yours reminded me of my friend Bubba who decided to steal a cart one late wednesday night at like 3am. Somebody gave him the key to the cart but not the key to the chains, thinking he would say "screw it" when he found out it was chained. No no no, not Bubba. As it turned out, he could get the cart to drive forward, backward, but only turn one direction. Good enough, right? So, after many strategic turns, he ends up across 31 at St. Mary's at 3 in the morning within minutes after he figures the cart out. He picked up a few random drunks on the way apparently too. Now you have to remember, Bubba is thinking that there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he is doing the entire time. Well, he arrives at a St. Mary's dorm and calls up to his friends to come down and "go for a ride! C'Mon it'll be great!" After much pleading, he finally gets it into his head that the girls aren't coming down so he heads off in the cart again. About halfway down St. Mary's Dr., he gets pulled over by a security guard. Again, he thinks he has done nothing wrong. The cop questions him a little and Bubba says, "OK, sorry, I'll just take it back to where I got it." That didn't fly over too well and he ends up in the back of the security car. He blew something like a .25. Gets in a lot of trouble with Student Affairs but never got kicked off campus. Lucky son of a bitch.

Steffes!!!!!! *
by GraceHall99  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yup *
by ndgolf01  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Special Shampoo

My roommate emptied out 2/3 of other roommate's shampoo and pissed in the bottle. Shampoo was used for 2 months by unsuspecting piss head.

H&D

Some Hi-Jinks...
by Hipster  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Found out a section dork had handed in the same paper for two classes, so we stole some University Letterhead and informed him that his parents had been notified and were en route for a Tuesday meeting with the provost. Forged the Provost's signature. After watching the tears we convinced him the only answer was to go see the Provost and beg for mercy, which he did.

Took some girls out behind St. Mary's for a Grain and Grape kool aid party. Got too drunk and drew the police with the noise. We lost the cops in the corn field, but they nabbed the girls. We assumed the girls would rat us out, so we couldn't go back to Morrissey. We jimmyed the lock at Moreau Seminary and crashed in some empty rooms. Next morning we played foosball in their lounge and got chased out by the cleaning lady.

We entered a friend in the Mr. Morrisey contest. We dressed him up in a bedsheet and got him all shined up. When he ran out onto the floor for his number, he hit a patch of spilled beer and sailed through the air, landind on his head. Knocked out cold. We piled him into a car and took him to St. Joe Emergency, but when we left the lobby to get food, he was gone. Wandering the streets of South Bend in a bedsheet. The cops found him on somebody's loading dock.

Mr. Morrissey
by Kayo  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't name him, other than to say he's a regular poster. His Mr. Morrissey entry should have won, but it was just too wierd for the SMC judges...

Evening wear competition featured him in a sheet fashioned into Jesus-wear, a crown of thorns, and carrying a cross. A friend ran up to him, wiped his face, and showed the image of his face that was left on her towel. The image looked a lot like magic marker.

Swimsuit competition featured a devilish strip tease through what seemed like 10 layers of gym shorts and underwear until he reached the finale, cute little bikini shorts with a cartoon bear over the jewels.

Nobody wins without talent, so our contestant held his head under water (90 seconds, two minutes, something impressive like that) while leading the crowd in rounds of Row, Row, Row Your Boat. I also believe that some flammable (Right Guard) was sprayed on his person and ignited as sort of a cherry on the top of that talent sundae.

The crowd loved it. The judges hated it. The rector called him in for consultation the next day. Our section still won the Morrissey Olympics.

that last one is classic!! *

Was on tour with the Glee Club down at Florida State.
by BigShu  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were doing Gilbert and Sullivan's "Trial by Jury", and at a strategic moment, everyone had been trained to look up at the balcony rail. I mooned 'em wearing white tie and tails (sans trou) from the otherwise empty balcony, knowing where they'd be looking. I'm told it was a scary sight. I did, however, leave my white gloves on.

Near the end of the 3rd or early in the 4th quarter
by ND71  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of home football games in the 60s, the band would strike up and play David Rose's tune, "The Stripper." To this accompaniment (sp), the same domer, week in and out, season after season, would perform the twirling disrobement act down to his boxer shorts. The entire stadium would turn to observe to see what new undergarment fashion he had chosen to grace us with.

He made the yearbook IIRC.

Vending machine abortions
by oggie  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not anyone's greatest prank, but it may prove useful for students reading this thread. If any of your dorms still feature the old machines without the safety shelf at the bottom, you can raid these puppies with a properly bent hanger. Comes in handy if your broke, lazy or if all food outlets are closed.

Worked great for months at Grace Hall until some drunk just shattered the glass case and cleaned out the whole machine.

In Zahm, we converted a soda vending machine into a beer vending
by ND71  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

machine. Sold Drewery's.

In Zahm, we converted a soda vending machine into a beer vending

machine. Sold Drewery's.

NO way I can live up to all of those, but...
by Irish 01  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are a few from my days under the Dome:

Initiation to the cross country team...We had to go on a morning run the first football weekend my freshman year. This was the Rededication Game against GT, Davie's first. As we run around SMC, the pace suddenly slows. I really don't get it & then I am surrounded by upperclassman who remove my shorts...leaving me in whitey-tighties and no shirt. We still had to still run through most of SMC, across 31 & onto campus...which is packed with people for the game. It also happens that the band is marching. I am run through South Quad, trying my best to shield myself with other runners, & right along the band route. We run along with the band...me in my whitey-tighties & every member of the XC team screaming..."OH MY GOD, THAT KID HAS NO PANTS ON!!!". As we rounded the JACC they finally gave my shorts back & threatened to kill me if Piane found out.

Witness- A kid passed out my freshman year in Dillon & a walk-on football player, who everyone who lived in Dillon from about '95 to '99 knows, stripped him naked & shaved his entire body. HTown, you probably know some great stories from said walk-on.

While the new SDH was being built we somehow figured out how to get in. So every night for a couple of weeks we would come home drunk, break into the dining hall & have some hot pockets, yo-cream, ice cream bars, etc. Our fun stopped when they finally built it up enough to keep us out.

Got a goat for my buddy's bday & brought it around to all the parties that night. Girls love goats...who would have known?

We had a wiffle ball game & cook out for Dillon on the same day as the Blue & Gold game. After passing out after the game & waking up to find the game going on outside our window, we decided it was a good idea to go outside & drink. Of course, half of the CSC is there watching. We get more & more drunk & begin to insist on cooking. Now we can't go back to the room, so we find a perspective & make him go on beer runs for us. My roommate then decides the hotdogs need some "beer flavor" & begins to pour beer on the dogs. Fr. Doyle quickly notices & we get busted.

Went to Mass at a girl's dorm & we were running a little late, so we sat outside the door waiting for someone to let us in. It was early in the year so all the chapel windows were open. As we waited, this Australian (i think) grad student comes up & waits with us. After a few minutes he screams, "JESUS CHRIST, ALL WE WANT TO DO IS GO TO FUCKING MASS". The door was opened immediately after.

After drinking for the Rutgers football game at our house, we proceed to the basketball game which was almost immediately after. I was completely shit faced & drinking as we went in the game. As usual, we were in the front row. For some reason a camera man & reporter decide they should interview me, (as my roommates tell me), about halfway through my slurred interview the national anthem begins. I put one arm around the camera man & the other around the reporter lady & start swaying to the national anthem. Not 10 seconds after tip-off, security removes me. Supposedly I blew a .232 & the cops drove me home. From there I was let in by a friend who passed out during the football game. I climbed up the stairs & instead of taking a right, take a left & pass out in my roommate's bed. Commence heaving...all over his bed. At least my bed was clean!

Irish 01

So it was you!
by Bacchus  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got a goat for my buddy's bday & brought it around to all the parties that night. Girls love goats...who would have known?

Forget Willy. Check out Billy...

2.32 BAL? Impressive. *
by Hipster  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Said walkon was no Willie, but his altercations with Wiesman
by HTownND  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will live in infamy. I still can't believe he was one of the first to get married.

those altercations.....
by Dillon1998  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will indeed live in Irish lore. Funny that the most memorable line that come out of that entire situation didn't come from the walk-on, but from a different guy in the section:

"You know, I haven't seen him around recently!"
"Actually, I heard you haven't been seeing much of ANYTHING lately..."

And the "broken arm" was outstanding.

Living around the corner from those two
by HTownND  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man, that was great, the daily entertainment was worth it's weight in gold. Thank God the dog was gone by that year.

When he came back in '00
by Irish 01  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We saw him at a tailgate & I started to talk about all the shit he did. He immediately pulled me aside & said...don't tell her, she knows nothing about any of it. Too funny.

Irish 01

One from Breen-Phillips and one from St Ed's
by MikeyDogs  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The prefect on the top floor of Breen-Phillips was a dispeptic, nerdy a$$hole named Brother Lorch. All disliked him. He was regular as clockwork in getting up very early in the morning to go to mass before anyone else was up. For some strange reason, Lorch's little suite had two doors out to the residence hallway. The main door opened inward but the secondary door opened outward for some reason. The guys on the floor saved pop cans for almost an entire semester. The got up very early one morning and painstakingly walled both doors in from floor to ceiling with wall to wall cans. When Lorch opened the main door to leave he was confronted with the wall. As they had hoped, he then went to the other door thinking he could get out that way. He opened it and sent cans rattling down the hall in every direction. When he raged to the rooms to make the residents pick them up, he found nobody home on the 4th floor.

The resident head of St Ed's when I lived there was another a$$hole. His name was Fr. Durbin and he was nicked named "Bourbon Durbin" for his drinking problem. Despite numerous and constant complaints from the residents about the cockroaches that infested the dorm, Durbin not only refused to take action, he refused to even acknowledge there were roaches in the dorm. Take my word there were. I opened the medicine cabinet one night and a two inch+ roach flew out and hit me square between the eyes. Residents went on a roach hunt for a couple of days and while Durbin was sleeping off another bender pinned dozens of huge dead roaches to his door.

DURBIN!!!
by ndgolf01  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh man, he was the head coach of the golf team when my Dad played. My Dad hates him to this day for some of the things he did. He basically sounds just like a typical asshole.

Father Miceli and Curfew
by mkovac  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is a Father Miceli story from the middle 60’s

Father Miceli, Cavanaugh Hall and Curfew:

Father Miceli was the rector at Cavanaugh and was a real hardass. He would write students up just for fun.

Curfew was something like 10 PM back in those days. With not much to do on campus, most students would make it back to their dorm in time to sign in with the security guard assigned to each hall without too much difficulty. But there were the times when students just could not get back in time.

So the Cavanaugh residents worked out a system where they would tap at the windows of the first floor residents, who would open up and let them in. If no one was home in one room, they would go down the line until someone helped them.

Father Miceli got wind of this and decided to put an end to it.
One night, he dressed up in black street clothes and crouched outside a first floor room after curfew and tapped at the window, tossing a stone to reach to the window. The students opened the window and from below, in the dark, Father Miceli pretended to be a student. He asked if the students would let him in, and the student said sure. When they realized they were looking down at Father Miceli, they blanched and Father Miceli wrote their names down for “later.” He then went to the room next to the one he had just busted and proceeded to engage the students in a similar fashion. After this went on for about 3 rooms, the students who had been busted went and warned the next ones in line.

By the time Father Miceli went to about the 5th room, the following scene played out:

Father Miceli tosses a pebble up to the window. The students look outside. They crack the window open and whisper, “Who’s there?” Father says, “Hey, I need to get inside, let me in!” The student nearest the window says, “No way, I don’t want to get in trouble with Father Miceli!” Miceli says, “Don’t worry, I won’t tell him.” The student opens the window and says, ‘OK, come here.” As Miceli stands right in front of the window the other student tosses a trashcan full of cold water onto Miceli’s head.

Miceli was royally pissed but couldn’t do anything , as the students’ excuse was they were trying to enforce the curfew rules.

Father Miceli and Curfew
by mkovac  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

see above. deleted.

how about Micelli and the bowling ball?
by ayerish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heard this from ol black Matt himself, so it may not be totally true. Guys that lived right above him used to annoy him by rolling a bowling ball back and forth. He would always run up to catch them in the act, but never could. They played dumb, said it must have been someone in the hallway. One day, he is primed and ready, he surges up the stairs, and there it is-- the ball, just sitting there in the hallway. He leaps over to it, only to find it is about 400 degrees, as the students had baked the ball before leaving it for him to find. "Ahhh Fellas."

Yep. I was waiting for that one!

!

Father Micelli was the Rector of Cavanaugh at the time.
by LilBart  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He didn't go to Zahm until 1990 after he retired as Rector of Cavanaugh.

Thanks, I'll edit out Zahm.*

Football Plane Banner "Dillon, Will U Marry me?, Love Zahm"
by GLOVEND  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Done by Alumni guys in 96 or 97

That was great.....it was 97, my first year....good stuff *
by ndgolf01  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Waffles
by Nappy  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For a VERY short time in '95, NDH had "cook 'em yourself" waffle irons out near the ceral areas for breakfast. Why so short? A certain couple of clowns thought it funny to pour batter into the hot irons and sit back down at the table and watch the damn things burn up and smoke. Quite humorous to watch the elderly workers scurrying around to unplug the irons and dump the black waffles. Maybe not so funny (but it was anyway) was when one of the waffles caught fire and damn near set the table cloth on fire as well. That was the end of unmanned waffle stations at NDH.

As of 2000 they still had the waffle irons, but ...
by DeBo  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... the microwaves were gone because during the '97-'98 school year some student who called himself the Unistencher would put a bowl full of pasmesan cheese in 'em and turn them on high for about 10 minutes. You've never smelled anything so awfull. The guy sent a picture (dressed up like the Unibomber) and a manifesto to The Observer, but they wouldn't print it because it "wasn't real news". I fought to have 'em run it, but I was only a sophmore and was in charge of layout, not editorial content so I had no say.

Good stuff! Definitely newsworthy!
by Nappy  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Must have changed their minds on the waffle irons after the fires. The dining hall pranks were always instant classics.

Another Alumni/Dillon doozie...
by Pocket Hercules  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was my freshman year (1991), that the school REALLY started trying to crack down on the numerous ALumni/Dillon pranks. So, two of my friends REALLY made sure to continue the tradition.

One night, one slept on the couch in the Dillon lounge with a pocket alarm clock and the other slept IN THE DILLON BATHROOM with a pocket alarm clock. At about 4 AM, the one in the lounge calmly walked over to the Rector's door and spent about a half hour prying his nameplate, as well as the entire "message board" they have in front of each door, off the wall. The other had brought a frickin' toolbox into the bathroom and proceeded to unscrew and remove every single toilet paper dispenser from the facility ("permanent ones" had been installed in an attempt to stop the practice of taking the other dorm's dispenses, but this was obviously futile.), so that people using the bathroom would have nothing to use - usually after having started.

The guy who took the nameplate (David Certo) kept it hanging in his room the rest of his time at ND and nobody ever caught him (even though Dillon ordered a search of all the Alumni rooms. The guy who took the toilet paper dispensers (Joe Hayes) took the time to walk all the way across campus and threw them into another dorm's dumpster - they never even suspected Alumni.

God, the memories....

Go Dawgs!
Go IRISH!
Go IrishUnity.com!

Mike

I forwarded this thread onto Dave....
by IrishAlum93  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His reply: "I deny it all."

It doesn't really surprise me that...
by ewillND  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dave Certo would do something like that....

The most surprising thing to me...
by Pocket Hercules  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I heard the story from Joey, was that Dave would have even needed an alarm clock - he usually woke up from his nightly stupor around that time, then went and wrote some 40 page paper for an 8 o clock class.

Did you know he went to the seminary for a time?

I think he's now working under some congressman (so to speak).

Yep, I heard about his stint in the seminary...
by ewillND  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not surprised that didn't last...

Not at ND but..
by Harry Oliver  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A friend passed in the bar. We were going to carry him back to the car so he could sleep it off, and we could party. Decided to put him in first unlocked car we could find, stripped him and left him in a Chrysler K car.
The people drving the car did not realize he was in the backseat until they were five miles from the bar. Scared shitless they left his drunk naked ass on the side of the road.

My roommate was in the marching band and was always late. He always had to hustle to make band practice. We decorated his van "Just Married" with cans, T.P., signs, he had to drive to practice and was forced to do so with his decorated car.

He got his revenge. I was on a tennis scholarship and one fall friday skipped practice to go to happy hour. My friend somehow got Letter Head from the A.D.'s office and sent me a letter telling me that my scholarship was going to be terminated. I was on the phone with the A.D's admin when I heard all of the laughing.

We had an all out war with the room next to us. We hated those guys. We somehow "aquired" a key to the room on our floor that had the power box.
We waited for exam week and found out that three of the four had eight A.M. exams. We turned off the power to there room. They all missed the exams.

My best friend got married since the wedding was in Georgia, we all stayed at the same Hotel. He got drunk passed out so we put him on a mattress and put him in the courtyard of this hotel. That morning he came up to the room drenched as the sprinklers had gone off. We were told never to come back to that hotel ever again.

Another Dillon Prank
by IrishMace  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While this one doesn't exactly garner headlines, it's still funny.

As most recent grads know, the dining halls sometimes have theme lunches. Usually these are crap, but they at least come with better desserts. My junior year (spring of '98) a group of Dillonites "relieved" SDH of four boxes of ice cream sandwiches, conveniently slipping out the side door facing Dillon. Unfortunately, they were apprehended by Fr. Doyle before reaching the safety of their room (it's just not your day when you can slip past the dining hall gestapo but randomly run into your rector). Fr. Doyle was nice enough to "forget" the incident, but he confiscated the goods (and kept it in his freezer).

The Dillonites would have their revenge, though. The next day, they called Fr. Doyle in his room posing as the director of Food Services. The office had become aware, they said, that he was in possession of stolen goods from the dining hall and were going to take this up with the office of Residence Life. Fr. Doyle was falling all over himself trying to get out of the mess when the guys finally let him off the hook. If I remember correctly, Fr. Doyle returned half of the booty to the guys for their efforts.

I paid Fr. Doyle a social visit a week later... he related this tale to me over ice cream sandwiches.

Not mine... Waddy hiring Davie
by RJD  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The biggest prank our class ever did was electing a King for President. Or was it the cat ?

King Kersten; Uncandidate Cat was the Veep. *
by Ann Tostal  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't Kersten from Iowa? *
by Irish72  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember his "burning bush" speech from atop Badin?
by BigShu  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Fr. Hesburgh agreed to turn over all power to him if he'd agree to cast himself off the dorm, to be borne up by angels.

Behind eevery successful man was a .......... Oligarchy for all. *
by 47oft  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think there was an oligarchy that ran for office in '97
by Special_K  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that what you're referencing?

It may have been a replay.
by 47oft  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the spring of 72 and then again the following year Mike? Kersten ran for King, espousing an Oligarchy. He wore a robe with a Burger King crown and often had his running mate Mr Gray, a cat (pussy to finish the quote), on his shoulder. This is merely the surface of the story. It is worth a thread unto itself.

By the way, his successful campaign the next year was even more remarkable. It featured the Vote Blank strategy and slogan.

IIRC, we elected a guy as student body president, who

ran dressed in emperor's clothes and called homself a Pooh-bah. His VP running mate was a dog. Needless to say he won by a large margin. He resigned thus elevating the pooch to the presidency.

kersten had his miracles: one was walking on water at the
by dbcsmith  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lakes (they rigged up a set of pallets just below the water surface)he publisized the miracle ahead of time and had pictures taken walking on water and on ascension thursday in the open area across from Grace he ascended into heaven in a hot air balloon.

Also enjoyed his Mob-style bodyguards and purple robes at

home football game flag presentations. I don't think the old alums in the plaid golf pants were terribly impressed with the state of our student government.

Mob guards included Dennis Lozzi, Ed "Duke" Scales...
by RJD  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hawk Stevenson, Al Sondeij...who else ? All very big guys.

Where is Lozzi now?
by Dillon  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a good guy - a Dillon resident and Massachusetts native. He was also on the football team. He once stuffed a drunken friend of mine into a trash barrel ( at a hall stag party, if I recall correctly).

Stolen gumball machine
by Mr_Neutron  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were leaving a tavern one night, and one of my housemates wanted to buy a 25 cent gumball from one of those big, upright gumball machines they had in the foyer.

His coin got stuck, so he picked up the whole thing and ran out to the car with it.

When we got home, he put it right in the center of the living room and spent about 45 minutes prying the top off so he could get the gum. We never did get the coinbox open, but he did get his original coin back.

After about a week, the machine was dropped off in the parking lot outside the establishment. Devoid of gumballs.

Another stolen item - from Purdue frat house . . .
by Khaddafi  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Witnessed the during & aftermath of: post-game (Irish loss) festivities in West Lafayette circa 1979 when a certain, future captain in the Marine Corps and his drunken comrades made their way to the second floor of a frat house. At the same time, some of us provided cover/diversion by mingling with the party-throwing Boilers below, who had stupidly invited us in.

The object of the captain's desire was the front end (grill, headlights and whatever else adorns the front-end of late model T-Birds) of a car which had, I believe, working/blinking headlights and was hung on the wall of someone's room. With precision and quickness, the front end was removed through the front window of the house onto a roof, where it was passed down under cover of darkness to aiders/abettors below and into the waiting get-away car.

That front end made it back to South Bend, where it remained for the better part of three years. We laughed, we cried, we drank some more.

response to flannervision post below
by stams  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Johnny Wadd was the name of the video.

also, a good murrs story: at turtle creek one night, rob decided he wanted to go to bridget's, but he made us take him back to flanner first. five minutes after dropping him off (and waiting for him), he came back out in his flanner football uniform, pads, helmet and all. he then spent the rest of the night hanging (literally) from the rafters in bridget's. one of the funniest things i ever saw.

TM

That was a great night!

So was the time he walked into the Blimpie sub shop (sauced up, of course) and walked out with the huge potted tree right in front of all the employees and customers. Tree lived in his apartment for the year and was returned with aplogizes after graduation. The Blimpie people were humored by his absurd activity.

murrs and drags -- cool; eggs -- not cool *
by stams  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Hammonds to the "not cool" list. *

who's hammonds? was that Big Joe? *

I believe one of Big Joe's roomates posts here

Under the name Fenian Man. He was also my neighbor growing up. Good guy. Got to meet and stay with Joe during my senior year of HS, that guy and Dave were nuts.

is that you, eskimo? *

No! Big Joe=cool, Bill Hammonds=Class politician, assclown. *

What is Big Joe doing these days?
by Special_K  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll never forget playing on his bookstore hoops team - Fat Chance.

Went to medschool. Haven't seen him since graduation. *

he is a lawyer in Chicago, never went to med school *
by NDinChicago  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bill Hammonds - class officer *

Not a participant, but a witness
by sprack  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Freshman year in Dillon, there was a 40-man mount of one particularly obnoxious guy on his birthday. He cracked a vertabra, but ended up OK. There are pictures to prove it. I'm surprised he even lived, especially considering that some of the particpants were the biggest guys in the hall, like Ernie Hughes, Dave Huffman, Bruce Flowers and Bill Laimbeer.

I was a participant and have the picture. You can also add
by dillonhall  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dickie Hughes to the list of humanity in the pile. The person who was being mounted was nicknamed Goonie Fucker. He flunked out at the end of freshman year.

Who are you?! Give me a hint if you want to keep anonymous
by sprack  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We MUST know each other, and you are correct, Dick was in there as well. It absolutely was Goonyfucker aka Tom Goonen, the Hughes's roommate. The Hughes brothers also tore Goonyfucker's couch apart and threw it piece by piece through the transom, and if I remember right once threw his mattress out the window.

Are you class of '79?

Response to Sprack
by dillonhall  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely class of '79. Got kicked out of St. Ed's at the end of first semester of my freshmen year. Could not believe my good fortune when they put me in Dillon. Lived with Laimbeer, Flowers and Noodles the remainder of freshmen year.
Remember when Ernie and Dickie tied up Goonie fucker and started pulling his chest hairs? They made him guess odd or even number of hairs. When he got it wrong, they pulled more hair. When he finally got it right (after all he had a 50/50 chance) they had him guess the total number of hairs.
I am sure we know each other. give me your email address so we can confirm. Whoever you are, hope all is well and GO BIG RED!

We do indeed know each other - from our first day on campus

Raz, how the hell are ya? I lived next door to you in St. Ed's, came to Dillon same time you did, so you now know exactly who I am. My email is sprack@earthlink.net.

For some odd reason, I have no idea why, I thought it was you all along.

The chest hair story! I forgot about that, a classic.

Another Gooniefucker story - Dick and Ernie told him that if he slapped his hand on top of a full bottle of Coke that the bottom of the Coke bottle would come off. They told him to try it over the sink, so the Coke wouldn't get all over the floor. Legendary dumbshit that he was, he tried it, the bottle went through his hand and it crashed through the sink, leaving a huge hole.

Dick told me once that the entire time he lived with him, he never once saw Gooniefucker brush his teeth.

And I think I could name everyone in that pile from memory today *

Didn't Laimbeer become a Zahmbie and live near drmurray? *
by Ann Tostal  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, and he was as socialable as sandpaper *
by drmurray  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good to know that Zahm didn't mellow him

Ah, the inimitable Lame Brain. Went from being the most disliked guy at ND to being the most disliked guy in the NBA, but had one hell of an outside shot for a big man.

I lived in Keenan at the time...
by Scoop80  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I think that you're maligning sandpaper by making that comparison. I remember seeing Laimbeer at a craps table at Mardi Gras making table limit bets (they had a $5 limit) and appearing to have the time of his life. It's about the only time I ever saw the guy smiling.

Somebody kidnapped Rockne (the bust normally in the foyer of the bldg)
by oggie  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Took it to Florida for Spring Break. Sent photos and a ransom note that were published in the Observer. Continuing saga in the early 80s that was damn funny.

That was Tim Kempton
by Hipster  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember seeing the Rockne bust at a formal at the downtown Holiday Inn right after the Florida Photos appeared.

visit to the top of the JACC *
by David Addison  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Irish Gold had a good one-he was the infamous Blue Jogger *
by sempernd  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any Rugby Players out there...
by bobnd80  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that participated in the Elephant Walks on top of the bar at Corbys.
An Elephant Walk made popular by the ND Rugby Club entailed being naked bending
over and holding the "trunk" of the guy in front of you. Made an especially
big impression with the SMC girls.

We did the elephant walk...
by NDnorthof49  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during our caribbean tour in 1986. We were in a jacket and tie place in Barbados and the call came. We gathered by the doors to the dining room, assembled, dropped trou, and performed the spectacle through the dining room and into the decorative wading pool and fountain and then into the casino. Most of us got arrested.
Pitt River Rugby Club, British Columbia, 1986 Ruck and Reggae tour.

Quarter Races involved

two teams (one team for ND and the visiting club) of 5 players (1 loader and 4 scorers). Two small cups placed about 20 feet away from starting line. Scorers' trousers dropped to ankle level. Quarters loaded between posterior cheeks of scorers, who then waddled down to the cup to attempt a deposit. Thank God, there is no photographic evidence IRC through the fog of more than 3 decades.

Did Zahm guys volunteer to be the loader? *
by 105Marquette  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes, a female attendee provided that service. *

No wonder that sport never caught on.
by zulu  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, maybe "caught on" isn't the best expression to use.

Wasn't the Rugby team disbanded as a result?***
by Badtrade  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe so; after an elephant walk at a bar in Houston. *
by lutt  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep--it was at Griff's...

The local rugby bar, which, coincidentally, is where we have our Alumni Club game watches every week. Griff told me that story himself--fun guy and a great ND fan--will occasionally buy a round for all of the ND fans after an ND win...

Dillon Prank
by swammy  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Night before our first game freshman year (1990) a small group of Dawgs slipped into Dillon late night and proceeded to toss 75% of the shower curtains out the bathroom windows....made for a rude awakening Saturday morn

That joke was repeated....

numerous times by both dorms in my 4 years there (1991-1995). By my senior year, the taking of shower curtains had gotten so bad, that it was announced anyone caught would be handed down ridiculously obnoxious penalties. Nobody listened, though, and the tradition lived on!

Go Dawgs!
Go IRISH!
Go IrishUnity.com!

Mike

Porn broadcast on Flannervision

Just one more reason why the great towers were shut down by Monk, Kirk, and the other chuckleheads. In spring '96, a select mis-labeled video was given to the hall activities coordinator to broadcast to the entire dorm over its own closed circuit cable system on a lazy Thursday evening. With a few phone calls, and some clever stalling, most of the residents home that night were treated to some XXX entertainment.

The funniest part was that Scott didn't even know it was a porn. *
by Mark in Seattle  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scott ______? Brown hair and freckles? I was at TC that year and
by gmurphy  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

missed all the fun. But if it's the kid I'm thinking, he sounds like the Activities Coordinator type - and just the guy that Drags and Murray could convince to play the video...

Scott Smith '97, business major

Nice guy, but an easy pushover. Should always preview something handed to you by Drags before showing it to the dorm!! All Drags said as he handed it over to Scott was "it's all cued up and ready".

Nappy - e-mail me - I must know you - 3A Murrs' first year *
by gmurphy (click here to email the poster)  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We taped that night's activities expecting to get Usual Suspects...
by Final_Flanner  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of us still has that tape somewhere...

I lived on the 6th floor where the tape originated. Good stuff! *
by ads725  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh! is that where Drags got it? *

Drags? How is the old man? And Murray too?
by gmurphy  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Damn Delbarton posse...

Johnny Wadd...

that was the name of the video. also, a good murrs story: at turtle creek one night, rob decided he wanted to go to bridget's, but he made us take him back to flanner first. five minutes after dropping him off (and waiting for him), he came back out in his flanner football uniform, pads, helmet and all. he then spent the rest of the night hanging (literally) from the rafters in bridget's. one of the funniest things i ever saw.

TM

Murrs was hilarious, what's he up to now? *

He's Robert Murray IV DDS and in Orthodontics school at Temple *

Fantastic. How about his frosh roommate (forget the name) from Chicago *

I assume you're speaking of Dr. Michael Hartmann? *

Doctor? God help us all... *

Ah yes, the Murrsman

An ND legacy and a legend in his own right. I remeber the hanging from the rafters affair. He also enjoyed getting sauced up and going to the different bars and picking up (physically lifting) the fattest girls and twirling them around. There was this one hag SMiC that was so big that she caused the 6'2" 230 lb Murrsman to lose his balance in the lifting stage and fall all over everyone nearby. Fat chick hit the deck with a thud. Murrs searched out his next target.

True Domers and Pranksters All! Doing well. *

Weekly Viking Nights at North Dining Hall

no utensils were allowed in consuming food. Some of us would not use glasses to drink milk, thus requiring cupped hands to quickly move back and forth from the steel cows milk dispensers. And the parade of that week's Viking King seated on a chair placed atop from a bedspring platfrom. Sometimes the King was used for food throwing target practice.

Zahm & Cavanaugh as well in C. *

The above post belongs below RJM's. *

Viking Nite
by RJM76  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I worked in the North Dining Hall when I was a student. I dreaded the thought of working that night. Food was everywhere.

As I remember it, Viking Night was a Keenan and/or Stanford ritual. They usually had it on "A" line.

Pranks I remember involved tying guys up in the shorts or less in the Grace elevator on a Saturday night, pushing all the buttons, and letting him ride. Cruel, childish, but fun.

Any truth to the rumor that . . .
by Khaddafi  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Viking participants were, on occasion, not permitted to bend their elbows whilst consuming sans utensils?

Yes. On Feed Your Neighbor Nights! *

bring this back *
by FightOnForMorrissey  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, whow about current student board members? *

a few

North Dining Hall food poisoning the night before 1st semester exams. Cause: bad Nicarguan beef. Not enough crappers. Room sinks and dorm shower stalls in use. A mess. Some profs allow afflicted to take exams while seated on the john. Expecting trouble the next night, many more rent-a-cops stationed in the Hall. Zahm-ites parade huge sign through dining hall painted in dripping brown paint "Bigger Johns or Better Food." A 30 minute long food fight commenced in each section. Chased most of the security guys out. Food poisoining and food fight make national TV news next night.

Filled a guys room up to 2 feet in depth with newspapers and toilet paper.

After sealing the door bottom and jams, created a 1+ foot deep lake in a guys room using the fire hose through the transom.

Blowtorching "hangover dudes" and dweeby freshmen though razor slots in the medicine cabinets between adjoining rooms.

Before phones in rooms, black shoe polishing a dorm floor's phone receriver and calling out drunks for a phone call & a colorful facial at 4AM; shoe polishing the john seats on these evenings; covering up the crappers with Saran wrap.

Relocating an entire room's furniture including lamps & record player (supplying both with power for effect) to the middle of north quad.

Serenading the north quad for many weeks during fall semester in 1967 by playing 24/7 the "Good, Bad & the Ugly" on a 45 rpm record player through an open dorm room window. Damn, it got cold some nights. Area around this window became caked with dirt clods from folks foolishly trying to stop the madness.

Gorilla in a blackout

Mild pranks: I borrowed my roommate's halloween costume during a blackout and ran around campus wearing out the hairy feet.

Back in the dorm, the suit scared the hell out of one the best backcourts in the country...who were up to nefarious pursuits themselves when the gorilla came through the door.

--Our second party as freshmen, we filled up a room with mattresses and invited quite a few townies - most of whom pranked us by quickly leaving.

--The late Al Sondeij [sp] (20" biceps, collected money for India hunger drive outside dining hall) would deal cards under your door if you hesitated to play gin during exams week.

KKK?
by Grace75  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We told one of our roomies that on his b-day we were going to take him to a cemetery, tie him to a tree and leave him. So, on the day, about 12 of us took bed sheets and pillow cases and draped them over each of us. We tied him up around the neck and paraded him through campus, marching 2 x 2, all the while chanting gibberish. We took him through the 2nd floor on the library and stopped in the middle and one of the guys yelled out, "If you don't watch it, this can happen to you!!!!" The next day, or day after, the Observer was full of KKK articles, thinking a branch had infiltrated the campus.

Panty Raid
by ND80  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I vividly remember the panty raid to St. Mary's freshman year before first home game. We also went to ND women dorms. Got some real big ones there. We yelled 'here comes the Irish' to be couldn't talk anymore. Any one know when they stopped the panty raids?

Love panty raids
by IRISH ARMY  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being from Boston with a host of women-colleges, it was always
a great time to Panty raid on a Thursday night before going to
Copperfield's

Oh the good times!

probably right around the time the coeds became bigger than the men *
by jt  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by veets  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We beat Purdue 52-6. My roommate was a walkon safety who gave up the TD. (redeemed himself by blocking the EP)
However, not enough redemption to keep the rest of us from moving his all of his belongings, including bed and wardrobe, out of the suite, setting it up in the halls.

Elevators in Grace
by Grace75  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing destructive, but 4 of us grabbed a table & 4 chairs from one of the study lounges, put it and us in an elevator and played cards while the elevator went up and down. The faces on some of those waiting were priceless when the doors opened. The best part was the security guard chasing us up and down the dorm as we played on.

Great minds . . .
by IronBoot  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

must think alike. I guess the opposite is true too. I did the same thing with three friends in Flanner in '82.

I remember that, was in Flanner also--10th floor--'82-'83.
by bogey85  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What year was the dorm stag party? I remember losing about $40.00 to Jim Jacoby, but forget if I was a sophmore, jr., etc..

I was 10th floor too . . .
by IronBoot  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was a frosh in '82. Godly Suite inhabitant '83-'85. OC '85-'86.

Iron, I was in Flanner in '82, 11, west side *
by David Addison  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

here are a couple
by NDrew  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Hung effigy of Faust out window of Zahm after Air Force loss. Sports Editor, Mike Sullivan ripped me in the Observer. Hung Mike in effigy the next day.

2) Stole giant construction vehicle tire from Eck construction site. The sucker was 7' tall. Placed it in our RA's room.

3) Tied a cow to our rector's door.

4) Buddy of mine stole the "P", one "z" and the "H" from the Pizza Hut in S.B.

5) made a dummy of our rector, placed it on a wooden raft, launched it from the beach as it was burning. Made sure our rector was walking by the lake when it happened. Doesn't sound that funny, but it was.

6) Lured Darby into our dorm. made Griffin sing fight song out on the quad before we would release him/her. made him sing it twice because he wasn't loud enough the first time. We decided against sending him her ear.

I am sure Cash will bitch at me for relating this, but my cousin went to a small Catholic school in PA. His rector had a dog trained to jump through hoops. After getting fined excessively by the rector and while very drunk, they put the dog's hoop in front of a 5 story window.

Just a couple
by Badtrade  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After a night at the bars, we stuck bottle rockets under the doors of several of our section mates in Flanner. I sprinted down the hall with a lighter in my hand igniting each bottle rocket in succession. The rockets shot into the rooms of our sleeping section mates and exploded. I was chased down the hall by one particularly angry guy when I suddenly realized I still had some ammo in my hand. I stopped, turned and pointed a lit bottle rocket at my pursuer. I chased him back to his room and the rocket took-off just as he was closing the door. I was later told the bottle rocket bounced of his wardrobe and hit him in the leg just as it exploded. Three of us were asked to leave Flanner as a result of this incident.

The following year, while living off-campus, a room-mate passed out on the sofa. We piled living room furniture on top of him and shot empty beer cans off the top of his head with a BB gun.

Don't forget placing the hand of a certain...
by bogey85  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

passed out individual in warm water. It was the same person, but adifferent occasion. Didn't you revisit your bottle rocket highjinks at the 10 year?

I only watched. We blew-up the Sr Class Pres (Dean Christy) at 5:00am

We broke into the beer truck and stayed-up most of the night. Had an 8:00 am tee-time at Black Thorn the next day (drank straight threw).

Bottle Rockets
by bobnd80  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My roommate (this is in 1978) in Morrissey used to put shaving cream on
bottle rockets and light them sending them out open windows in our room.
He once put on a performance for Br. Ed (our rector) and while he was watching
started a small fire by hitting one of the curtains in our room. He also did
the under the door trick with bottle rockets into rooms of our sleeping friends,
RAs, etc. This roommate is now a priest in Peru.

On the subject of rockets
by MikeyDogs  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the more ingeniuus residents of the top floor of St Ed's figured out a bazooka-like method of launching lit sky rockets from his open window into open windows of the doom across the quad. After just a couple hit, the heat was on from campus security and he ceased activity. It was delightful though to watch the literal fireweeks when he hit the target.

Taking the hinges off the gate...

at the entrance to ND from St Mary's where the shuttle bus came on campus.
We used to go to Motel 6 and fill my roommate's Fiat X19 trunk with ice and cases
of quarts of Od Milwaukee then drive onto campus by removing the gate from
its hinges. Then we would park the car in the middle of the south quad and
play softball or football while drinking heavily with our built in car/refrigerator.
On several occasions, Joe Montana, Orlando Woolridge, Kelly Tripucka and other
would join in on our games. Those were the days.

greatest south dining hall prank ever....

As any of you recent grads know....and I'm sure it was like this years ago as well.....the south dining hall has little labels above each food on the glass identifying what type of food you're about to eat. This was a good thing considering half the food there was complete crap. Well, my junior year (which was in 99-00), a group of us Juniors got together a group of freshmen and headed off to the dining hall to gather up some of these food labels. As any of you know, the security in the south dining hall is strangely tight and you cannot get away with much without being called in on the manager's walkie-talkies. In any case, somehow we were successful in grabbing numerous labels and so we brought them back to the dorm for some "tweaking." Within 10 minutes we had the font and size of the labels figured out and we began creating our own names for some of the foods there. Now, I'm sorry if any of these names offend you, but the looks on people's faces when they saw them were hilarious. We made a bunch of names and headed off back ot the dining hall the next night. As we all went through line, we were assigned a few labels and slipped them over the real ones. Somehow we pulled it off without getting noticed. Here are some of the names of the "new" dining hall food.....

"Diced Baby" = the every day chinese dish
"Menstrual Soup" = tomato soup
"Breast Milk" = actual milk
"Cream Cum Fettucini" = fettucini
"poop" = A1 sauce
and my favorite.....
"Badin Fat Girl Special" = Yo-cream yogurt

We had many more labels but you ge the idea. After we had strategically located all the labels, we had to see if we could get a glimpse of people's reactions as they wandered through the lines. It was either one of utter shock and disgust or one of pure laughter. The girls didn't really appreciate the "Badin Fat Girl Special" but it was funny to all the guys. Well, some of the labels ended up lasting all of about 3 minutes before they were taken down and some were left on for a good half hour. You should have seen the dining hall managers freak out. Great stuff. The best part was getting to see everyone do double takes on the labels.

You guy's were too crazy *
by IRISH ARMY  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

weren't going for that....

We were going for the comedic presence and reactions.....crazy isn't the way I would describe that. I would say that it was more of a brain child of one of my friends. If you know anything about the dining hall and the people who work there you would get it.

A1 as "poop" -- lol *
by FightOnForMorrissey  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Irish '96 - check this one out - there are still some good kids at ND. *

Neal Kemp's Home Movies *
by Col. Stephens  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Roommate #1 and I put Roomate #2's car up on cinder blocks...
by 105Marquette  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...unfortunately, we picked the wrong night to do it--the night his girlfriend dumped him.

Never before had I seen such rage from a human being. For a moment, I thought we would need to have campus ministry send a qualified exorcist over.

Put the Observer to Good Use
by AtlaNDa  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the way back to Holy Cross Hall from a Football or Hoops game, my buddies and I noticed about 8 untied stcks of the Observer in the entry hallway of O'Shag. We went and got my car (a Pumpkin Orange Plymouth Horizon) and drove it right in front of O'Shag and loaded the stacks in the hatch. We then proceeded to drive on the sidewalks on the South Quad in front of the old Business Building to the Main Quad ultimately cutting between Sorin and Sacred Heart on our way back to Holy Cross. When another friend, who lived in a single, was out at class the next day, we got into his room. We proceeded to crumple up every page of newsprint from the stacks of Observers and threw each crumpled piece into his room. When we were done, the entire room was buried in crumpled newspapers up shoulder leverl. The look on the guy's face when he open the door was priceless. we then proceeded to spend the next hour taking turns diving off his bed into the mosh pit of newsprint.

Did that to our RA
by Joe(1ofM)  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We filled his room in St Eds (high ceilings) with crumpled newspapers through the skylight over the door when he was out for the weekend.

greatest prank ever!!!.....
by DTM  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i dont go to ND, but last quarter i took a loading palet from work(Lowes) and brought it to my schools parking lot. We put 6 2x4's of wood on top and jacked the thing up under a brand new Echo. Since the palet had wheels, we pushed the mother f'er all the way to the other side of campus. By the way, this was all done at 2 in the afternoon. Now that took balls!!!!

Didn't go to Notre Dame either, but
by ODDBALL  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our fraternity house and the house across the street sahred a great hatred for each other. Every year there was some type of prank war resulting in some type of reprimand by the university. Here are a couple:

1.) Launched a full beer at the opposing house with a 3-man sling shot and busted the president's window. Best part was when one of our guys went over and asked for the beer back.

2.) They had a huge flag pole in front of their house so for parent's weekend we stole their flag and ran a bedsheet up it with the words "We Are Gay" printed on it. No one of there noticed until about half of the parents arrived.

Here are a few...
by Naughman  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, this got long...

1. Our freshman year, the head RA in our dorm was a real jackass, and announced his presence with authority, so to speak, early in the year. So we took a carton of milk from the dining hall one day and left it in our room until the very end of the year. Then we took the milk -- the carton was bloated and on the verge of explosion by this point -- and wedged a dining hall tray underneath the edge of his door, then poured the milk out using the tray to funnel it onto the carpet just inside his room. It stunk up the entire floor like nobody's business. They had to keep all windows in that wing open for the entire week.

2. Water balloons were also a preferred medium of pranking, and one of my friends had a powerful balloon launcher made with surgical tubing. We used to set up in perch in the corner of the dorm and target unsuspecting students walking about campus late at night (usually B-P residents). It was all pretty stealth because the hits were long-range and none of the victims rarely suspected that the balloons could be coming all the way from a dorm room. Fisher Regatta was always a good time for water balloons, too, especially when you filled them with a water/maple syrup mix. Good luck cleaning that mess off.

3. One of my roommates (who shall remain nameless for legal purposes) was a bit of a klepto...actually, he was the biggest malcontent ever. He didn't really want the booty, he simply craved the excitement in wreaking havoc. He used to steal things from teacher lounges, including one of those large insulated coffee dispensers with a spout. It said "Hayes-Healy Lounge" or something on the side in permanent marker, and we would serve batches of mixed drinks out of it during parties. Once after some interdorm altercations, he also soaked a large cardboard box in lighter fluid and burned right in front of Zahm, resulting in a fire truck barreling onto North Quad in the middle of the night to put it out.

His most memorable heist related to the vending machine in our dorm, which was just down the hall from our room one year. This was far too inviting a target. He removed a bolt in the top of the machine and then rigged up a wire hanger so that he could slip it inside the hole and knock candy bars and the like out the bottom. He got pretty handy with the hanger and did this on a weekly basis, and vending machine sales hit the crapper because some of the slots had an empty hole in front where he'd knocked the item out...who's going to pay $0.50 for nothing? The vending guy would show up every week and curse to himself, but he couldn't figure out how my buddy was getting into the machine.

After about 6 weeks, he finally found the hole and patched it with something that my friend couldn't remove. So one night the following week, he and another friend decided to simply muscle the machine for the last big score. They all but tipped the machine over while I stood watch down outside the room, and made a hell of a ruckus as practically every item fell to the bottom of the machine. I've seen some funny things in my life, but I'm not sure anything compares to watching these two guys running up the hallway at 3:00 am, each attempting to carry their weight in vending product. Then the idiots divvied up the score in the room and ate about half of it immediately after. And, yes, left the discarded wrappers right there in our garbage. How that whole incident passed on without a bust, I'm still not sure.

4. Similar to the bed prank that Jvan mentioned, the best one that I ever heard of took place a year or two before I got to campus. Some guys I knew lived in a room together and one of the guys was terribly anal about his belongings. Everything had to be in its right place, and the other roommates were getting annoyed. So one night while the kid was asleep, the roommates quietly snuck out everything in his room -- desk, wardrobe and all else -- and set it up in the community bathroom exactly as he had it arranged in his room. He was a notoriously bad morning person and would walk around in an unconscious haze for the first 15 minutes, so when he awoke, he didn't realize what had been done. Of course, he stumbled directly to the bathroom and saw all his items before him. Good stuff.

at the outbreak of the Gulf War

peaceniks had a candlelight vigil at stonehenge that was well-attended; I'd guess 2-3 thousand people showed up.

After a parade of speeches, the vigil organizers proclaimed a "moment of silence", at which point some ROTC jarheads in the top floor of Cavanaugh cranked up Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" -- started softly, but then built and built until the moment of silence was anything but. A yelling match between the podium and Naugh ensued and the whole thing broke down. Pretty hilarious.

that's really good *

Took a pig from a nearby farm and kept it as our off campus pet
by SouthSideIrish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We stole a pig from a nearby farm in Dubuque , Iowa (obviously I didn't go to ND) and threw it in the trunk and drove to our off-campus house . We originally intended it as a drunken joke but ended up keeping it almost 6 months in our house as a pet . We named it after the girl across the street . Our relationship was fairly strained from that point on .

I lived in a humongous house in Dubuque,Iowa but it was an absolute shit hole . In fact , it was condemned by the city a year after we all graduated . The city later sold it as low-income housing for $1 . No , I'm not kidding . This house had a room off to the side of the kitchen that we weren't using . We kept the pig in there and took food from the cafateria every night and fed it . It was a great pet and weapon because we snuck her into several house parties of people we didn't like because we knew as soon as she got around a group of people she would shit all over the place. So we'd walk in , let the pig loose , and let the owners worry about the clean up .

About 7 years after I graduated a group of us was back in Dubuque for homecoming . The house had been completely renovated by the family that bought it for $1 . We decided to knock on the door and see if they would let us see what the house looked like all fixed up . The man answered the door and we told him we had lived there years ago and asked if we could look inside . He said "You aren't the guys who had the God damn pig are ya" ? Needless to say our story had become fairly legendary in good old Dubuque , Iowa .

funny, I would think having a farm animal for a pet/lover would be
by jt  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

common in Iowa.

Excluding Notre Dame , Dubuque is downtown Chicago
by SouthSideIrish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

compared to South Bend .

yes, this is of course true *

Lamb in the Dorm
by Jameson  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't me, but when I was in Zahm, a certain graduating offensive tackle and a few others smuggled a sheep into the dorm. Of course, they couldn't keep word of the prank quiet, but it was so funny that the Rector didn't even impose any discipline.

Sheep in Zahm?
by OGerry  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You must have gotten tired of the squirrels.

Redundancy *

Not a "prank", but it pissed off Monk
by GraceHall99  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McGlinn Hall was having their dorm dedication weekend. They were having the blessing of the dorm and all-dorm picture in front of the building, complete with all of the University bigwigs. Living in O'Neill, we figured it would be appropriate to give them a proper welcome and let them know what they were in for. So a few friends of mine were kind of enough to place their stereo on the roof of O'Neill's chapel and serenade our new neighbors with "Welcome to the Jungle". For some reason, Fr. Malloy didn't find that to be humorous and send over one of his minions to have the stereo silenced immediately.

I heard that one....

I lived in O'Neill in 98-00....I heard about that....funny shit

not really a prank
by clashmoremike  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

saw a girl literally throw up when my roommate did a "bulldog"(opposite of a pressed ham) on the window of the north dining hall

Stealing the sailboats on the lake for a

race. The winner (the first boat to shore near Lewis) was required to pull the fire alarm at Lewis. This was guaranteed to force those still on the lake to abandon ship or risk being caught by security. Since most everyone was liberally lubricated with alcohol, it was a wonder that noone ever drowned. This was a weekly (read Friday or Saturday night) for five weeks. We finally got caught when they posted a guard at the boathouse.

Another one was putting the fire hose in Burtchaell's

(I deliberately left you hanging to see what images your mind conjured up) door mailbox.- He was a resident of Dillon. With the hose turned on full blast, it was not discovered for an hour. The results-from Burtchaell's standpoint was a disaster. We could not have laughed harder. Despite the best efforts and some true Gestapo tactics, noone was ever officially nabbed.

Not a prank, but ...
by DeBo  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... I'm interested to see how many others made it into the tunnels under campus.

It's hot as hell down, especially when you get near the power plant, because all the hot water pipes run through them.

You get to see 60 years worth of different Budweiser labels and there are signs warning of expulsion from some long retired VP of Student affairs. It's also important to wear long pants because you'll burn the shit out of your legs climbing over hot water pipes in shorts.

It can become a prank depending on . . .
by kage  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what you do once you are in the tunnels. I lived in a building senior year that offered unfettered access to the tunnel system. We mapped much of the tunnel grid and found plenty of open doors to exit from. That's where the pranks can begin.

Anyway, we almost got caught in the tunnel once. I didn't stop to see who was chasing us, but I was lucky I knew how to get out quickly. Actually for the last 200 yards or so (which included a couple of turns), I turned off the lights so whoever it was couldn't see where I exited. The exit would have certainly given away my identity.

By the time we got down there every door we came across was locked.

We were able to get in because we found one of the manhole entrances that someone forgot to padlock shut.

Food fights in North dining hall
by ND80  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyone else remember the big food fights in North dining hall after away games? Loved the ones with the lasagna and sphagetti.

They've cracked down on foodfights in NDH...

When my roommate and I were eating lunch in NDH, he threw a balled-up napkin at some chick he knew that was walking past. His arm didn't even finish the throwing motion before a member of the NDH gestapo was on him, demanding his ID. He was fined $20. For a napkin.

I can imagine that lasagna would be at LEAST an $80 fine.

At least with the napkin
by CJC  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you have a chance of destroying the evidence by swallowing it.

In 93 (or 94)
by Turtle Crack  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know they still had those midnight pancake meals. There was huge foodfight that year that included whole trays being thrown.

I dont think they open the dining hall like that anymore.

Yep--it was '94...

Posted a story about it below...

We grabbed a duck down by the lake one evening, put it in a box . . .

. . . wheeled it back to Grace Hall in a shopping cart and let it have a go in the RA's room.

Extreme measures were taken because random acts of verbally shatting upon this RA, penny-ing him in his room, stomping on plastic bags to explode shaving cream under his door, and using a blow dryer to spread talcum powder under his door never quite satisfied the urge to show him that the we would not tolerate oppression in any form.

The duck was released unharmed and the sanctions were light: we assisted in the cleanup.

We ultimately passed on the idea of kidnapping a llama from the South Bend Zoo as an alternative to the duck.

Sorin Hall Porch Christmas Tree...
by FourLeafDomer  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During late in the fall semester of '79, a huge Christmas tree magically appeared on the roof of the Sorin Hall porch. I know not how it got there... only that the Moreau seminarians were none to pleased with the simultaneous disappearance of a fine, aged spruce from the seminary grounds.

A mere coincidence I'm sure...

Toilet stealing.
by NDEE01  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The year before my freshmen year was O'Neill halls first year and for the new tradition of ONeill Mardi gras the dorm made floats. The big float was for the king of mardi gras, but he needed a thrown. Since the guys from O'Neill lived in Grace the year before, they thought it would be appropriate that the thrown come from grace.

our rector left the passage to the tunnels open one night and using the tunnel system they got into grace hall and proceeded to remove a toilet from their old section, i believe, and bring it back for the thrown.

Spraypainting Willie
by ACross  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Giving a championship-calibre performance, my roommate passed out at 11:30 am on a Sunday prior to a big hoops game, having started drinking grain at 8:00 am. We went to the nearby hardware store to get some spray paint. They stocked green, gold and blue Rustoleum. We covered him head to toe, including his Timberland boots and watch. It was below zero out but we threw him, still half passed out, in the back of a buddy's VW bus, shirtless.

He came to, rallied, and got kicked out of the game. He went to the emergency room that Monday with breathing problems. The first entry in the doctor's H/P read:' "Was spray painted."

This all star can be seen piling onto the Rocket after his kickoff return TD v. Miami ca. 1990. Wearing a "Fuck Miami" t-shirt for all to see, including Bernie Lincicome, who wrote about it.

He also slept in the bushes outside Dillon one Tuesday am, and awoke when an ugly coed on her way to class poked him with a stick to see if he was alive.

He also had a bright idea to prevail in a century club contest, where the object is to drink 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes, without leaving the room to drain lizard. His idea: Willie taped his willy inside a Skippy jar with duct tape. He lost, with elan. He overflowed and walked around the rest of the day having pissed his pants.

My favorite: at a party on Corby Street on St. Partick's day, as a party was being broken up by South Bend's finest, he chided from the front porch: "You can't arrest me; this is a party school." As the cops made a move toward him, he leapt off the front porch and lit out for the back yard, looking over his shoulder for his pursuers. He was form-tackled by a lady copim by running around the oother side of the house and bushwhacked him. His revenge: en route to the pokey, he let a St. Patrick's day, 12-hours of drinking green tap beerfart in the patrol car. As the stench wafted into the front seat, Willie queried: "How do you like that one?", causing the cops to pull over to aerate the vehicle.

There are many more.

Confess. You are "Willie." *
by OGerry  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just a guess...is your roommate an attorney now? *
by thc  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's fantastic...
by Irish96  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best stories I've heard in a while.

Cross wins - and I have a feeling it's the tip of the iceberg... *

Definitely...
by Irish96  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can guarantee this shit doesn't happen at ND any more either. Too mnany pussies and dorks... Monks's trying to make us the Stanford of the midwest.

one more
by ACross  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Willie arrived at the Lyons Halloween SYR -- blacked out drunk, as usual. His girlfriend told him to go sleep it off in the bedroom of the triple. Her bunk was on top.

A half hour later, there was a horrific thud. Willie had fallen out of the bunk, hitting his head on the way down. Groggy from booze and blunt trauma, he heaved violently in the sink, where his girlfriend had lit candles to freshen the room form Willie's rankness. Whilst heaving, he lit his greasy hair on fire, and ran screaming into the party room, where the horrified guests doused his head with cups of punch.

this is just fantastic stuff... *

Any way to print this stuff in total?! *

I have thought about writing a screenplay -- "Willie"

sort of Animal House part deux cum Ferris Bueller cum Elephant Man.

If you do, let me know

I can get it to the right people.

Austin316 should really tell this one ...

... but it doesn't look like he's on the board anymore and I know he'd be disappointed if this story wasn't told. I was a witness to the results, not the acts. In fact the 3 guys who did this never told us how it was done until after we all graduated.

One of Austin316 and my good friends built a contraption that allowed them to break into any dormroom in Keenan. One night Austin316 and these 2 other guys broke into our other friends' party room and turned every piece of furniture in the room upside down. The next night they put every piece of furniture in the hallway. I think eventually furniture found its way to the showers. Finally the victims started having someone in their party room at all times to keep anything from happening to their stuff.

I probably leaving out some important details. Hopefully Austin316 can fill 'em in later.

Austin316...
by Jvan  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is probably doing time for breaking and entering.

Ah, Jvan if you only knew the irony of that statement. *
by Austin316  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, he's at law school. Go figure. *
by Quincy03  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spraying Herman the Guard at Cavanaugh with a fire hose..
by SRP  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

around March 1965

and the heated bowling ball herman picked up and john hall
by dbcsmith  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from cavanaugh bringing lola to campus and the great firehose fight and raid on farley through the tunnels - all in the same 64-65 school year

Here's a few
by JGreer'83  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Each of my 4 years under the Dome I had a large Santa Claus hat made and put it on the statue of Moses outside the library.

I lived in Stanford. First week Freshman year several of us grabbed the hall president (a fairly obnoxious senior)out and threw him into St. Joseph's Lake. Turns out he couldn't swim (he was in ROTC so he got to skip the swimming test) and one of our group had to jump in to save him.

Bob Burger (starting OG) lived in Stanford as well. One night a small group (3 or 4) of us pennied him into his room. When he figured out what was going on he started pounding on the door to knock the pennies out. We all ran like hell. Got around the corner just before he opened the door.

in fall of '88 they were re-gilding the Dome and

Somehow some guys in Morrissey got up on the scaffolding surrounding the dome and took pictures with their arms around the shoulder of Our Lady. Just a group of buddies hanging out with the mother of our lord.

Not really a prank; but that's an impressive keepsake.

Moses
by Jvan  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I scaled the statue and placed an empty Budweiser can on Moses' raised finger. Bud was the king of beers on campus for almost a week before they noticed and took it down.

The Moses makeover
by Tim Neely  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my crazy friends actually gave Moses a pedicure, complete with red toenail polish. The stuff wouldn't come off; the paint was visible on Moses' toenails for YEARS -- and for all I know, it still is.

Somebody did the same thing with a....
by Mr_Neutron  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pumpkin in the late 80's.

Same in the early '80s...
by JGreer'83  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the pumpkin on the finger lacked something compared to the Santa hats. However, I give the person kudos for climbing up to Moses' outstretched finger.

Streaking the football ticket line****
by Domer99  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nfm

And your slow ass got caught (no pun intended)
by GraceHall99  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BTW, no hangover his morning. I call that a success.

Wish Wallace were on so he could share the halftime octopus story**
by Domer99  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nfm

I got to throw that Octopus twice

A priest came and took my Student ID. Then felt sorry for me, and told me I had to go to mass each day that week, and wasn't allowed to eat fish for a week, in order to get it back. I got the ID back. The fish, Octopus, and everything was great. Everyone tried to one up the next person each week.

It was usually (if not always) the same people *

Duck hunting on St. Mary's Lake *
by 94Domer  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The mad shitter . . .
by peeps  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had a guy in our section in Flanner who, whenever he had to take a dump, would go over to Grace, pick a floor and section, and then "duke it out" on top of the drain, causing crap-laden, foul-smelling standing water in those showers.

In a related story...

...there were the notorious "phantom shitters" in Flanner from '93-'95 who would literally shit everywhere imaginable. Loafs in the showers, sinks, clothes washers, in take-out boxes in the elevators, on the study lounge desks, stairwells... These guys were technicians. Way too much crap for it to be only one perpetrator.

They came from 10B . . . he is one and the same . . .
by peeps  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only knew first-hand of the one "Phantom Shitter," although there were a few others I knew engaged in the mad-crapping with him.

What years were you in Flanner? I was booted in '84***

I was on 11, '81-'84. Booted, huh? *
by David Addison (click here to email the poster)  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was on 9 for 81/82 & 7 for 82 - Boot.***

'92-'96 *

Who was that?
by Special_K (click here to email the poster)  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do I know him?

And sorry about not getting you Peets' e-mail yet...keep the faith.

He was an RA during your sophomore year (no names, if you don't mind)

And I eagerly await the e-mail of the donkey that is Peet. Grazie.

Ever hear about "Logan's Logjam"? *

about 10-12 guys with group moon --" pressed ham"--on the
by bergen  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

windows of the ND/SMC shuttle as it pulled up to SMC circle--old route was bookstore(ND) to SMC circle--fwiw many SMC students still got on the bus--the participants had ski masks on --it was Feb--wonder how many "pranks" happened during those gray days

the night before the ND/Miami game in '88

A group of us dressed in togas and masks ritualistically burned an effigy of Jimmy Johnson at Stonehenge at about 1 in the morning. We beat drums and marched from south quad over to stonehenge, gathering followers along the way -- there were probably 200 people gathered around. An unnamed senior, probably one of the greatest actors to ever go through ND, orated and presided over the burning of Jimmah. Security chased us off eventually.

Throwing cups...
by Slainte Joe  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and shooting the bird at Bill Kirk's press box window, all the time yelling, "Can you see me, asshole? Get your f*&%ing binoculars out!"

Of course, I almost got expelled for that.

My favorite though was when my roommate stole Big Boy and brought him up to Holy Cross Hill where we venerated him with sweet-smelling "incense."

I guess in retrospect, bricks would have been better. *
by Turtle Crack  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No doubt. His nefarious schemes live on. *
by Slainte Joe  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guess you shouldn't have let him see you. *
by michirish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too numerous to name them all

The night before graduation, nine of us skinny-dipped in the reflecting pool in front of the Library. Security came and we scrambled out to grab our clothes hanging on the bushes and ran like hell. Four guys were caught and forced to rat out the rest of us. Realizing they had no real hold over us, they made us call in from our apartment and apologize to the head of security at 4:30 AM before they would release our brothers.

I was a charter member of the Keenan Five, organizers of the greatest food fight in North Dining Hall history. As punishment, we had to paint the dorm basement and do a few other chores. Fr. Griffin could have been nastier about it.

We also "borrowed" about 60 pumpkins from a nearby farm and candles from an unmentionable place one October and put a jack-o-lantern in every window in Keenan.

We also put a drunk kid's bed in a tree outside the dorm - with him still in it. He was not amused when he woke up.

I'm just warming up.

What was the name of that longtime head of campus security?...
by DC74  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure he was there when you were there. Can't remember his name, but he was an instituion - I think he had been there since Fr. Sorin first got lost in the woods of Northern Indiana.

Had to go meet with him for a "discussion" one Monday morning when, after returning from a late Saturday night beer run, I got busted driving a car onto campus via the library sidewalk. (Used to be that you could drive over the curb at the library circle and drive on the sidewalk to what used to be a small parking lot behind Farley. Unfortunately a campus police car was sitting in the lot with its lights off waiting for someone just like me to try.) It got worse when he learned that the car belonged to the brother of a Farley resident whose room had been visited by security several times that night as the result of a party that got, in his view, out of hand. Maybe the mountain of furniture and empties that had been tossed from windows and lay in a heap of wreckage in the Farley courtyard the next morning had something to do with his perception. For some reason he thought that the names were more than a coincidence and that I might have had some responsibility for the fracas.

I guess talking my way out of that one was the first sign that I was destined to be a lawyer.

The most amazing thing was, they never opened the trunk, so they didn't confiscate the beer. The delivery was somewhat delayed, but succesful nonethless.

Old Griff was a great guy and Darby was cool too *
by lgoirish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To quote a less than famous song about Keenan Hall

"Who's the dorm that threww the doggy down the laundry chute?"

the stanford fight song *
by lgoirish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can now be revealed--Tim Rudnick did it! *
by Rosecrea  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What year did you graduate?

I was a member of the last class, I believe, to enjoy the late-night food fight. You'd think they'd figure something was up when I asked the little server for 24 sausage links and 15 pancakes.

North Dining Hall? I was there for that...

It was still going on when I left. Funny thing was, I was walking out with three donuts and, in the middle of the biggest food fight I've ever seen, the ID checker tried to stop me from walking out with "more than one food item." Lucky for me, someone nailed her in the back of the head with a pancake and I was able to make my escape.

It was, in fact, NDH *

1975 - and our weapon of choice was riot-sized jello cubes *

Great food riot...remember the trick was to

make the jello cubes stick to the ceiling with the embedded pencils on quieter days.

A similiar classic to the bed trick was setting up a guy's whole dorm room on the North quad, complete with a working desk light (long extension cord).

Jvan Missed this one
by Rosecrea  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Shave-bombing" every room on the first floor of Keenan (frosh mostly)at about 3:00A.M. one weekend senior year.

FREE THE KEENAN FIVE!!! *

Posts like these show me how much I wasted my time at ND.

Should have never gone to class...

Excellent. Keep 'em coming. *

Two more

Sophomore year, one guy who was in the dope selling business decided to get a pet monkey. He kept the damn thing in our section all semester without being detected, but by December the smell got to be so bad we made him give it up. The next year he found Jesus, gave up dope, and started going to class. He turned in four consecutive 4.0 semesters and graduated.

My friend Charlie got drunk one night and decided he could get his car airborne if he drove fast enough. He actually got on the runway at the SB airport but couldn't achieve lift-off. He blamed it on having too many passengers.

It wasn't the passengers....
by Slotts  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was the 20 stolen cases of Tequila in the trunk.

Not my prank exactly, but...
by Verde  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...when I was going to high school in South Bend I worked at the Wendy's just north of campus. I was working the drive thru and took an order. I saw some ND guys bring the top half of a bunk bed --- sheets and everything --- up to the window to get their food.

They explained that their roommate was very anal about people touching his bed, but he was out of town for the weekend. So they were going to take his bed out on the town, take some pictures of their adventures, and show him pictures when he got back.

One guy took some pictures while I handed food to the others. Then I got everyone else who was working there to head out to the parking lot and sit on his bed while they took some pictures.

They said they were heading up to Lake Michigan to take some pictures of his bed on the beach and left.....

Did anyone here witness the Purdue game in the early 60s
by Irish88  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when a student ran out on the field at halftime and grabbed the Purdue drum major's massive hat and then ran out the tunnel with the PU band giving chase? I wonder if there is any tape of the prank..

Before the ND - Purdue game in 1970...
by Miami Irish  (2005-11-09 01:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Purdue band practiced in the Stepan Center parking lot, rudely awakening the residents of Grace and Flanner. As they marched to the stadium, they went through the canyon between Grace and Flanner and were doused with water from the fire hoses, located in every section of the two towers. It was a great football Saturday. We won 48 - 0.

Did the Drum get wet? *

Shrunk 3 inches--the PU band lost their spot in Guiness that year *