How many of these super teams
by basicbasket (2024-04-13 20:31:33)
Edited on 2024-04-13 21:40:38

with a bunch of 1st round picks have won a national championship? It seems like none? At least in the past couple of years (BU, Michigan, Minnesota, now BC).

Now, even if that is true, I'm not sure that it tells us much about the state of our program, even though it seems like we are built more like the teams that have won.

It has been posted here previously that it has been a long,
by wearendhockey  (2024-04-14 10:42:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

long time since a team with a first round pick has won an NCAA title. DU had none, so that streak appears to be intact. They do have a dozen NHL picks though, including four 2nd round selections, so it isn't like their roster looks like it belongs in Atlantic Hockey.

The BC team that beat Notre Dame in 2008 had one 1st round pick, Nick Petracki. His NHL career lasted all of 1 game.

There is a possible asterisk for Denver.
by Mr Wednesday  (2024-04-15 09:07:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Defenseman Zeev Buium (who made the all-tournament team) has not been through the draft yet, so it's possible for DU to have a first round pick after the fact.

I'm not sure where he's projected to be selected.

He is actually projected to be a top pick. Central Scouting
by wearendhockey  (2024-04-15 10:11:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has him as a top-4 North American skater and he'll probably be selected in the first half of the first round.

There's a little bit of Stanley Cup playoffs in this FF.
by Mr Wednesday  (2024-04-13 23:52:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Denver absolutely benefited from loosely-called games. It kept BU's #3 power play off the ice, and gave them a more free reign to play a slow and tight-checking game against BC. There was a lot let go in the first game; I didn't see a ton that was left in the second, but there was a clear hold in front of me which wasn't called.

All mist bow before the ultimate power in NCAA hockey
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-13 21:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A hot goalie