UMD's Coach Sandelin Vents About the Portal
by ndmd99 (2024-04-02 19:58:56)

“The perception is you can go and get anyone you want,” Sandelin said. “That’s not the reality. The reality is, is if you’re not a certain program or working with a certain agent, you’re not getting that person. I’ve got three guys (associate coach Adam Krause, along with assistants Cody Chupp and Brant Nicklin) in there that have been working their butts off trying to find out who might become available through agents. They’re doing their job and they’ve been working hard. It’s just ridiculous to me how this is going down. I’m not afraid to say it. I’m getting too old to sugar coat stuff. It’s changing our world. It’s like guerrilla warfare right now.”

You could probably substitute JJ for Sandelin and that quote would still be accurate. This is the problem we're facing. And it won't matter who is our coach -- they'll still need to solve this same problem.

1st rounder Matthew Wood is the prime example. Before the portal opened, the favorites were already named (Gophers, UND, UW). He entered the portal yesterday with a "Do not contact" status.

A massive problem is 4 of the privileged blue blood recruiting schools are in the B10 -- both UMs, MSU, and UW. The other schools that seem to have big advantages are UND, BU, and BC.

FYI the portal was open at any time for 5th year players (this is the last year player's are eligible for a 5th year). Biondi and Murphy are both 5th years.

Underclassmen could enter the portal starting 2 days ago. I think the portal stays open for 45 days.

The only Irish player I have seen in the portal so far is Fin Williams (who left mid-season).

Replies: