by ndmd99 (2024-03-12 11:02:33)

Option A:
2 yrs Head Coach elite Bantam level
4 yrs D-1 team video/hockey ops coach
3 yrs NHL team video coach
1 year asst coach NHL team
2 yrs NTDP head coach

Option B:
8 yrs USAH director player development (last 3 years also player development consultant for NHL team)
1 year asst coach D-1 team

Option C:
1 yr Volunteer Asst D-1 team
4 yrs asst coach/associate head coach D-1 team
3 yrs head coach USHL team (1 Clark Championship, 28 NHL draftees, 4 1st rounders)
1 year AHL head coach
1 year associate head coach @ alma mater

Option D:
2 yrs NHL development coach
5 yrs NHL asst coach
1 yr asst coach D-1 team

Option E:
14 yrs asst coach/associate head coach @ D-1 alma mater
3 yrs NHL asst coach

Option F:
Who is the next Mike Hastings? Think David Carle wants the job? Pretty sure Urban Meyer will be named the football coach any day now.

David Carle's bio before taking the DU job:
Asst coach @ DU while a student
2 yrs USHL asst coach
4 yrs asst coach @ DU

Option A is Brendan Naurato @ Mich
Option B is Adam Nightingale @ MSU
Option C is our own Brock Sheahan
Option D is Pandolfo @ BU
Option E is Brown @ BC

I get the frustration. But calls for firing the whole staff need to come with realistic "Who do we hire?" solutions. IMO any AD (Swarbrick or Bevacqua) would be a moron not to give the job to Sheahan if he wants it based off his pedigree.

Last summer, NCAA allowed the 3rd paid asst coach. Many teams didn't use it due to budget restrictions. A number of teams just added their volunteer goalie coach to the staff (think that's what Gophers did). Some just hired a former player with no coaching experience (PSU). ND hired Sheahan -- who has a great resume and likely took a step backwards on paper to take the job with ND. While not announcing it publicly, all signs point to Sheahan taking over the program at some point.

Sheahan started 7/1/23. He hasn't been around for a full year. This is the first time he has the opportunity to help build the roster (recruiting and portal). Should the entire current staff be focused on recruiting/portal? Or should we can everyone? Or can everyone except Sheahan (so he'll have to hire his coaching staff along with recruiting/portal)?

Personally -- I want to see what effect/influence Sheahan brings to building the roster. Portal effects (if any) we'll see next year. The problem with hockey recruiting. is the effects take 2-4 years before they're on campus.

Based on Sheahan's experiences and the fact he is here,
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-12 22:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he'd be a logical choice as a successor to Jackson, and a good one I believe. If indeed the plan is to have him replace Jackson, I could see the logic in working with most of the current staff for another season to give him another year of recruiting and to begin molding the program. It also gives him ample time to consider what he would want to do regarding the full staff, put out feelers, whatever he needed to do to build that staff.

Sheahan got hosed during the last coaching cycle
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-12 15:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As his well-earned head coaching job disappeared into the ether during the NHL/AHL game of affiliate musical chairs. I think it was a great hire, but I don't know if ND was the fortunate recipient of happenstance, or if the athletic department opened up its wallet and made an aggressive move to get Sheahan as Jackson's heir-apparent.

We should find out soon
by ndmd99  (2024-03-12 20:12:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The timing was right. If it was happenstance, I imagine he won’t have a tough time finding his next head coaching gig this off-season. If there’s a plan for him to eventually be the successor to the throne, then he’ll probably stay put and help with turning things around.

His resume does check virtually every box for an eventual successor. Even now he compliments the deficiencies/criticisms of the current staff well (coached high scoring offenses, developed elite top-5 NHL draft picks, etc).

One more thing: Sheahan's blind resume
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-12 15:36:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looks a lot like Jim Montgomery's before he was hired at Denver.

Nate Leaman?
by basicbasket  (2024-03-12 15:01:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is from the Dayton area and has been a successful coach at what I would consider a similar program. I don't know if he would come or not but it would be worth a call. He is 51.

7th, 5th, 7th, 6th in HEA the last four seasons *
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-12 15:26:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaman was my 1st thought in the past
by ndmd99  (2024-03-12 20:02:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But as you point out, he has the same struggles lately (if not worse) that we’re fighting at ND. Think 18-19 was their last tourney bid. Scoring and PP aren’t anything to brag about. And in HEA it’s really BU/BC that are separating themselves from the pack in recruiting, where B10 it’s Minn/Mich/MSU/UW.