Skunkbears' Red Berenson is retiring.
by vitadulcedospes (2017-04-10 15:09:20)
Edited on 2017-04-10 15:11:05

Just announced. One would think that would be a pretty attractive job. Could they throw a bunch of money at one of the top coaches from a less wealthy program? Perhaps someone like UM-D's Scott Sandelin?

Mel Pearson *
by thejet403  (2017-04-20 16:08:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Norm Bazin is my guess *
by brnd  (2017-04-10 23:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why's that?
by SavageDragon  (2017-04-11 09:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's at his alma mater who he has turned into a contender, has no ties whatsoever to Michigan or even the midwest in general. I'm sure he's a hot commodity, and if you told me that York was retiring or that DU was open I'd buy it, but I don't see why he'd want to go to Michigan.

Agreed on Bazin
by wearendhockey  (2017-04-11 10:16:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess you can never say never about most things, but I see little upside to him choosing UM over UML.

Michigan fans are notorious about thinking their school is so attractive because "its MICHIGAN!" While this might be true for football, hockey coaches know the big name schools might not offer a whole lot more than the schools like UML, or Denver.

Bazin made $325,000 last year in base salary alone, which is nearly 100,000 MORE than Berenson made in 2014. The school gives him pretty much whatever he wants as far as facilities and free rein. He succeeds with older, non-drafted players who fit into his scheme perfectly. I believe some coaches prefer and are better suited to coaching these kinds of players, and Michigan expects a team stocked with blue chip talent, drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds by NHL teams.

Like I said, maybe it happens, but I highly doubt it.

Thirded - it makes little sense on his end...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-04-11 17:29:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's a NE guy and has built a top national program where he went to school. What's the upside in coming to Michigan and succeeding Berenson? As you state, you can never say never but if Bazin's going to move I think it's NHL.

It won't be Danton Cole
by wearendhockey  (2017-04-10 16:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MSU just announced the hiring of their alum Cole. He won a title as a player there (and as a player in the NHL and a coachin the UHL). Resume just a little bit better than Tom Anastos.

Brady Hoke? *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-04-10 20:01:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post