Great season, tough ending
by wearendhockey (2017-04-07 12:38:47)

Very tough ending. In fact it was hard to watch.

I think my one overarching feeling is that Jackson made too big a deal of how his team was so caught up in the bright lights of the big stage of the Hockey Ease semi-finals. With all due respect to a conference tournament semi-final, that was nothing compared to the stage these guys found themselves on this week. When they took the ice last month in the Boston Garden there were perhaps a couple of thousand people in the building and the whole sport was not paying attention. Last night the place was full and the lead up to the game was much more involved than the couple of days of lead-up to Boston.

I think as much as Denver is a dynamite team with more speed than they know what to do with, we played like we were in awe of the moment. Someone posted last night that while they were better than us, we're better than this and I think that is completely true. We played about as bad a first period as I have seen in forever. Then after playing them more evenly in the second period we let one bad shift (and three bad plays, although in fairness to Luke Ripley, sometimes guys fall down, Dello and Petersen absolutely pooped the bed on their third goal) completely unhinge us. While we looked like boys among NHL men in the first period, I was only disappointed in the effort after the third goal. We gave up after that, but DU didn't and quickly scored 2 more goals. It reminded me of the early 90s and games against Michigan.

Next year holds a lot of uncertainty. Unless I have completely missed the mark we will be starting a goalie who has not played a significant NCAA minute (or zero NCAA minutes) and will be missing one of the best players who has laced up skates and put on an ND jersey in the 4 plus decades I have watched hockey at Notre Dame. These guys picked a bad stage to have played so poorly, but I think they had a terrific season and this was a fun edition of the team to watch. I will remember this season for things like the OT win over UML and great games against BC or UMD, or the exciting win at BU. We get too caught up in the post season sometimes to enjoy the 35 games that happen before the first or second weekend of March.

Now if for some goofy reason Bjork and Petersen decide they want an NCAA title as much as they want NHL success, Notre Dame might be a pre-season favorite to win the title next year. I can dream can't I?

I don't know if it's any consolation...
by Mr Wednesday  (2017-04-09 22:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where I sit, even with their best game, I don't think ND would have beaten Denver. The Pioneers played like a team on a mission, and against tUMD as well as against ND.

Wait, we lost to Denver? Denver?!?!?!?!!!
by DakotaDomer  (2017-04-11 08:31:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do they even have a football team?

Bloody Mary agrees with your last sentence.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-09 21:35:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND finally made it to an NCAA tournament they hosted
by Spin-A-Rama  (2017-04-09 12:59:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other two were regionals, at The Compton in 2015, and Fort Wayne in 2010.

It was a great second half season. Back in December after the Irish we shutout by Clarkson, and gave UMass one of their two HEA wins, I had little hope we would be seeing them in the post season. They turned it on when it counted and made for a thrilling and enjoyable spring.

Re Bjork...
by Mr Wednesday  (2017-04-07 16:36:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dueling info out there at the moment. The Boston Globe's Bruins beat writer had a speculative tweet about the prospect of playing for team USA in the Olympics enticing Bjork back to ND, while Kirk Luedeke had previously suggested that Bjork and the B's already had a handshake deal and now says, "Sounds like Bjork to Boston is becoming a reality. Stay tuned- something expected to shake out soon."

I'm seeing B's fans who are suggesting for Bjork to play with Krejci and Pastrnak, which might be a little overenthusiastic.

Speaking as a season ticket guy that's sports talk radio...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-04-07 17:16:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

idiots who know nothing fabricating fantasy lines. That's a line which would lack physical presence, especially with Bjork as a rookie. He should go to Providence, get his feet wet in the AHL postseason, and come to camp next September to compete. If he makes the team out of camp, he should break in as a third liner. If over time he shows more, have at it.

Jackson used to always schedule weird neutral site games
by Boston Domer  (2017-04-07 14:45:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember he moved home games from the JACC to Fort Wayne and even gave up home ice to play one of the Michigan teams in Auburn Hills. I believe the thinking was to play in regional and NHL-sized arenas so that when the tournament happened, the team was well-adjusted to situation. I never knew why we stopped doing that.

Part of the reason is the CFIA
by wearendhockey  (2017-04-07 15:16:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When games were at the Joyce it was easier to give up a date there with 2500 people paying an average of about $9.00 a ticket. The CFIA was envisioned as being packed with 5000+ every night and the average price of a ticket to a game has gone way up since 2011.

Jackson making a big deal of the bright lights issue
by mikeybates  (2017-04-07 13:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

didn't cause or exacerbate the problem, though, did it? He was identifying a problem, and he certainly seemed right to worry about it.

When it looked like we were going to get buried by Minnesota, I was ready to say how the program is stagnating, hasn't win a tournament game in several years, etc., etc. Obviously I won't say that now, nor can I complain about "big game performances" too much, because we've had good big games under Jackson, too. Even Jerry York has been blown out in the tournament a couple of times.

The key for the program now is consistency. It's about making the tournament every year. I have to think that if we do that, we'll eventually get it done.

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one
by wearendhockey  (2017-04-07 14:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bjork so much has said the Irish were in awe when he was quotes as saying "we got caught up in the moment there." I think that Jackson emphasized it to such an extent, both with the team following the loss to UML in Boston, and then literally at every press event after that game, in Boston, in Manchester, in South Bend and again in Chicago, that his team got a message delivered that Jackson did not intend.

To be sure, most of last night was a great team playing their best hockey of a long season. We could have been poised and lost the game by a couple of goals the way DU played. But even in falling down 2-0 to Minnesota, a pretty good team in their own right, we did not look like we were in awe of the moment. And that particular moment was not awe inspiring. A small crowd in a midsized arena with at least 3/4 of the college hockey world focused somewhere else.

He was right to worry about it, but I do think he exacerbated it instead of ameliorating it.

I agree totally about the consistency. We will turn consistent participation in the NCAA tourney into a title.

As for York, yeah he's had a couple of blowouts. The CC game in 2011 was a shocker, but he was coming off a title the year before where they won in one of the more overwhelming FF performances I have ever seen, and BC has 4 titles so far in the 2000s. I don't like comparing my program to BCs in any ways, good or bad.

The "bright lights" talk was far from a black. and white..
by BIGSKYND  (2017-04-07 17:09:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

call on his part. I thought he was correct reiterating it after we knocked off UML because it was a reminder not to let that happen again and that it was the reason for the bad showing the week before. If it affected the players in the other direction, that's on them IMHO.

Great recap. Crossing fingers that Bjork and Peterson
by cbo86  (2017-04-07 12:57:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will stay but understand if they don't.

Highly doubtful...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-04-07 13:14:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the B's think Bjork is ready to make the move and the NHL CBA makes him leaving now a priority.

And the Sabres GM is already on record about Petersen
by garbageplate  (2017-04-07 14:56:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although it might behoove Cal to stay another year and become a free agent. My guess, however, is that Petersen will be playing in glorious Rochester next year.

3 years for G is a reasonable time frame...
by BIGSKYND  (2017-04-07 17:05:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to move on to the pro level - especially because for G that pretty much has to start in the AHL.