Thats one way to put it
by mocopdx (2024-04-25 22:24:00)

In reply to: Pretty good situation  posted by RJD

Another is that you used the #8 pick on a player who you don’t want to play for five years. This isn’t like a Favre>Rodgers or Smith>Mahomes situation. Those players were on their way out. The Falcons *just* signed Cousins to a huge four year deal. They could’ve done this in 2-3 years and drafted to make the team better in the meantime.

my understanding regarding Cousins is...
by DavidAddison  (2024-04-26 13:52:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(first, I'm a Vikes fan and I was happy to be rid of him. Good QB but not gonna lead anybody to a Super Bowl win).

Anyway, ESPN this morning seemed to indicate Cousins' contract for $180MM is "only" (cough cough) $100MM guaranteed, over two years.

To me this does all of the following:

* ticks off Cousins and tells him his 4 yr $180MM contract is really 2 yrs and $100MM. Welcome to the franchise

* makes Penix unhappy, he is 24 and doesn't need to sit for TWO years (maybe one)

* wastes the value they could've had elsewhere with the #8 pick to help Cousins win now

Really the Cousins signing was the bigger of the two mistakes, but they knew of the Cousins commitment on draft night, not vice versa.

No way Cousin
by RJD  (2024-04-25 22:36:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Five Years?

Fontenot quote
by Freight Train  (2024-04-26 09:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“If you believe in a quarterback, you have to take him,” Fontenot said. “If he sits for four or five years, that’s a great problem to have because we’re doing so well at that position.”

He's saying he's ok with the notion that Penix will sit for 4 or 5 years after picking him 8th (and all the payroll that will tie up for those years) after just committing $90 MM guaranteed to Kirk Cousins. He's an idiot. The Falcons have holes everywhere. He reminds me of every Lions GM in history prior to Brad Holmes.