Do we get our 23 wins back if the NCAA is handing out free
by domer86 (2024-04-24 18:47:16)

passes????

Retroactively adjusting the rules

The NCAA found out that USC self reported
by ACross  (2024-04-25 18:27:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That changed everything. It is a magic eraser, a get out of jail free card, a violations mulligan.

And before Michigan puts its 2 final four banners back up. *
by domer4  (2024-04-25 11:14:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What USC/Bush did would still be improper today, correct? *
by CliffClaven  (2024-04-25 10:46:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. *
by Flanner89  (2024-04-25 14:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes
by HTownND  (2024-04-25 13:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they would have had a mechanism, through NIL, to accomplish the same thing, but it would have been on the up and up.

What Bush did is still a violation, but they wouldn't have done what they did, they would have done it legally through NIL.

All that said, the Heisman Trust did this, not the NCAA

Is there paperwork that must be filled out?
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-25 14:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are there any requirements that funds come from a legal entity rather than an individual?

Does any work need to be performed in exchange for funds (even as minimal as recognizing the name of the contributor in some form)?

I don't know these answers. I also don't know if there's anything prohibiting the use of a home from being in-kind compensation. I'm guessing not, but I could imagine the possibility.

we never even acknowledged that they were taken away
by jt  (2024-04-25 01:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how are they supposed to give something back that we don't even recognize as gone?

Did you forget our patented shamrock-asterisk?!?! *
by IrishJosh24  (2024-04-25 14:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shamsterisk. *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-25 21:27:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA - Bush League! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-24 20:39:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Golf clap *
by drmurray  (2024-04-25 07:01:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hope the new Pres & AD remove them from Kelly’s ND win total *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-24 20:27:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not just Kelly
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 12:02:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about the dozens of football players that played during that time? You happy to take the wins away from them too? And if the new AD does that voluntarily, we would be the first to ask for his firing, and rightly so.

vacated wins
by NDFANOK57  (2024-04-30 13:54:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the whole concept is nuts, when the NCA A refunds money, I'll stop counting em, of course the games were played

you think this is like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless
by jt  (2024-04-25 16:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mick" or something? We're going to Men in Black these guys with some kind of nueralyzer until they forget they participated in the games?

What a foolish thing to say/write.

The foolish thing to say is what the OP said.
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 17:47:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hoping the new AD will fight to maintain the vacated games is just plain dumb for the sake of petty revenge. I'm pretty sure Bevacqua feels the same way. Some people just need to move on from their hatred of Kelly and Swarbick. If you really want your AD to fight to maintain vacated wins if such a fight ever comes to fruition, then you better look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you are a true ND fan.

It's not petty revenge
by HTownND  (2024-04-26 08:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's following through on what we said we'd do from the beginning.

And adhering to a set of values and principles *
by ACross  (2024-04-26 10:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want Bevacqua to accept the consequences
by ACross  (2024-04-25 22:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the punishment. One of the requirements was that ND not recognize the wins in any official way at all. We ignored that. We know why.

You need to accept that your blind support of Swarbrick and Kelly was wrong-headed and stupid.

What does “fight to maintain the vacated wins” mean?
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-25 20:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA vacated the 21 wins. And ND acknowledges that the NCAA vacated the 21 wins.

Yet ND credits Brian Kelly with 113 victories. Those 113 victories include the 21 vacated victories.

Do we agree on the facts?

I do not understand your description of ND honestly crediting Brian Kelly with his 92 victories rather than a dishonest total of 113 wins as “fighting to maintain the vacated wins”?

Yes, we agree on the facts.
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 21:08:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My phrasing wasn't the best. But imo, its rather silly to hope the new AD will remove them (the vacated games) That's what you said, isn't it? They are already vacated. Maybe you mean the * besides the win. Whether one agrees or disagrees with that sanction, hoping that the new AD will "remove them" is going to extremes to spite a coach you detest.

No AD in the world is dumb enough to contradict Notre Dame's official stance on this matter. It's Notre Dame's stance, not Kelly's as you keep repeating.

I am fine with the Irish * besides the games. Notre Dame disputes the NCAA ruling and I am fine with that too.

People need
by HTownND  (2024-04-26 08:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To call out Notre Dame's bullshit on this (not Kelly or Swarbrick).

Our dispute is based on some faulty and nonsensical logic.

The idea that if we hadn't applied our honor code, they wouldn't have been ineligible, is quite honestly a lie at worst, dishonest at best. There were ineligible players that weren't impacted or part of the honor code process. They were ineligible because they received improper benefits. There is nothing to dispute.

We need to be adults and accept the consequences for what we did, instead of being cute about it. I'd prefer our new AD and President act like adults and accept the consequences for our actions.

Who is the "we" doing the asking here?
by El Kabong  (2024-04-25 15:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly wouldn't be one of them.

We played with ineligible players. We violated the rules.

The ND I attended taught me if you violate the rules, you deal with the consequences.

Yes but do you hope Bevacqua does what he can to
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 17:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

maintain the ban? That is what the OP said.

there is no ban
by jt  (2024-04-26 00:54:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we're just not acknowledging the ruling.

Do you think Notre Dame broke the rules?

and the "consequences" here consist of a mild slap
by jt  (2024-04-25 16:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the wrist, and we can't even take that.

Did you want more? *
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 17:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would I want more? *
by jt  (2024-04-25 22:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen *
by Moff  (2024-04-25 15:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We played with ineligible players
by HTownND  (2024-04-25 13:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So yes, the many players suffer for the conduct of their teammates, as has been the case time in memoriam.

Something I disagree with because it penalizes not only
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 17:52:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the guilty but the innocent.

I don't care
by HTownND  (2024-04-26 08:50:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neither you or I make the rules. It's pretty standard procedure as far as punishments go when you use ineligible players.

Entire teams have suffered the consequences (including the innocent) for the actions of a few as long as there have been sports teams.

You may or may not like it, that doesn't change the rules and punishments. It wasn't arbitrary. It's even what Fr. Jenkins said we'd do if it was found we used ineligible players.

that's part of being a member of a team
by jt  (2024-04-26 00:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perhaps there should have been some accountability.

Why should we count victories where we agree . . .
by IrishJosh24  (2024-04-25 13:13:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of the players were ineligible? Yes, we should "take" those wins away from Brian Kelly, and we should "take" them from the student-athletes who participated in the games. It's unfortunate for student-athletes who did nothing wrong. But we can't claim wins for games where players were ineligible.

And, for the record, we always knew that to be true. We volunteered to vacate those wins if players were ineligible. Then we agreed they were ineligible. And we appealed the NCAA's order to vacate the wins anyway. Predictably, we lost.

In any event, the new AD would not be acknowledging the NCAA's order "voluntarily." The order says the games shouldn't be counted in any win totals, which is why ND invented the shamrock-asterisk to note that it was, in fact, counting vacated victories in win totals. The new AD should just stop that silly practice.

We don't need a shamrock-asterisk. We shouldn't count the wins.

And, as the OP said, would you also like Bevacqua to
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-25 18:01:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fight to keep the wins vacated? The point of my post is that it is a silly thing to say. And I like the * thingy and hope that Bevacqua keeps it, which I am sure he will. Some act like they are holier than thou.

The irony
by HTownND  (2024-04-26 09:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of discussing people acting holier than thou, but then pointing to the * is hilarious.

The * is textbook holier than thou, I know better behavior.

You are a moron *
by ACross  (2024-04-26 08:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So are you, and an obnoxious one at that. *
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-26 20:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are student-athletes allowed to have others do their work?
by IrishJosh24  (2024-04-24 20:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What would be the basis for reinstating those wins? The players were ineligible because they cheated academically. Nothing has changed. Nothing should change.

We all know the answer to that *
by gordonbombay  (2024-04-24 20:03:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What are you talking about? *
by ACross  (2024-04-24 18:56:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heisman Foundation gave Bush his trophy back.
by Jurassic  (2024-04-24 20:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After admitting to taking illegal cash back in the day.

That's the thing
by HTownND  (2024-04-25 13:57:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was a Heisman Trust decision, not the NCAA.