OL as a unit
by Wass (2024-04-24 12:40:15)

In reply to: Some positives on the OL  posted by SEE

An OL has to work as a unit to he any good. IMO, this is why a team needs to develop players from the start, rather than get a transfer. Look at a team like CU, where Sanders seems to think you can take 5 new starters every year and make them into a world class unit (you know, because he is such a evaluator and moulder of talent). He isn't the only one completely revamping the OL, though, to be fair, some coaches don't have a choice! Even if the transfer is experienced, he will still have to learn the offense. Even then, he may not gel with the other players because they haven't practiced together. Right now (as of 4-24), there are no real big time OTs in the portal that would constitute an upgrade. So ND will need to go with what is on the roster. I think the OL and RB is more geared to a running game at the moment. The transfer QB is too injury prone to be running much and the WR room, while better than last year, isn't all that great and it's also injury prone (minor injuries at the moment). I'm not impressed with Mitchell (I've stated that too much already); his best play was burning a walk on. Collins isn't on campus yet, but I hold out hope that he is the best transfer WR. ND has a very deep running back stable, and the linemen are more cut out for a running game (at least right now), so I would like to think they would run more. I guess we'll see in a few months.

Replies: