Some positives on the OL
by SEE (2024-04-24 09:39:14)

Jagusah, Rocco, Craig and Shrauth can run block. So can Tosh.

Jagusah and Rocco, that's a lot of beef on the left side.

While I agree that these guys are good run blockers,
by 84david  (2024-04-25 08:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Denbrock doesnt believe in running power. Its a lot of RPO and zone read.

A painful truth we all now know…
by mkovac  (2024-04-24 18:59:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If a team can have a successful running game, it can win.

If it does not, it will lose.

Love Rocco as a road grader
by RJD  (2024-04-24 15:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the line needs to find a slot for AW...Rick

Keep an eye on Absher
by SEE  (2024-04-24 16:15:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which isn’t hard lol

OL as a unit
by Wass  (2024-04-24 12:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An OL has to work as a unit to he any good. IMO, this is why a team needs to develop players from the start, rather than get a transfer. Look at a team like CU, where Sanders seems to think you can take 5 new starters every year and make them into a world class unit (you know, because he is such a evaluator and moulder of talent). He isn't the only one completely revamping the OL, though, to be fair, some coaches don't have a choice! Even if the transfer is experienced, he will still have to learn the offense. Even then, he may not gel with the other players because they haven't practiced together. Right now (as of 4-24), there are no real big time OTs in the portal that would constitute an upgrade. So ND will need to go with what is on the roster. I think the OL and RB is more geared to a running game at the moment. The transfer QB is too injury prone to be running much and the WR room, while better than last year, isn't all that great and it's also injury prone (minor injuries at the moment). I'm not impressed with Mitchell (I've stated that too much already); his best play was burning a walk on. Collins isn't on campus yet, but I hold out hope that he is the best transfer WR. ND has a very deep running back stable, and the linemen are more cut out for a running game (at least right now), so I would like to think they would run more. I guess we'll see in a few months.

Nothing but shotgun snaps in the BG game
by Son of Galway  (2024-04-24 15:21:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leads me to believe that Denbrock does not agree with you.

Between that and the “prairie dog“ offense, where the entire team peaks over at the sideline before each snap, watching the game triggered a certain amount of PTSD in me on Saturday. My thousand yard stare came back for a few days.

I sure liked the way CJ Carr played, though. And I think we are absolutely loaded on the defense.

I'm sure Denbrock...
by Wass  (2024-04-24 17:03:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...doesn't agree with me. But from what I've seen, the RB stable is far better than the WR stable. ND certainly doesn't have the material that OSU had at WR. It is clear ND wants a high powered passing game, but they are probably a year away (or more) from that. I just feel their personal is better suited towards a running game right now.

they probably think that they can scheme guys open
by jt  (2024-04-25 01:02:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and if the qb makes the proper pre snap read and then post snap adjustments and reads, it will all be fine.

The RBs are certainly better than the WRs
by mocopdx  (2024-04-24 17:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The question I have is- what will the 2024 OL do better? Run block or pass block? I ask because I don't know. Given the system, I don't think it matters. They'll focus far more on teaching pass blocking even if it's obvious they'd be a better run blocking unit with proper practice time.

That is my point
by Wass  (2024-04-24 17:32:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The OL is better suited to run blocking (at least from what little I saw) and the running backs played very well, yet they are going to be pass blocking despite a pretty mediocre WR stable (which will improve when injuries heal, Collins gets to ND, and Faison is playing). Even with the additions, the RBs are better overall than the WRs. Roujd peg, meet square hole.

I'm curious how many of his runs ended out of bounds or
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-26 08:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in slides. The faster the player, the easier to escape contact into open space that gives you time to do both--especially on a scramble. I would guess Daniels did not have to absorb as much contact as the average scrambling qb, though I certainly didn't watch them closely. I would just note that when comparing his two years versus the expected experience someone like Leonard, who I understand to be athletic but without the top-end speed that Daniels has.

I'm sure that they all can indeed run block
by jt  (2024-04-24 11:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can they work together as a cohesive unit in run blocking? We struggled quite a few times in that area last year, with one guy planning to combo and the other guy looking to leave.

Are they going to get enough reps in practice at really playing as a run blocking unit in a zone scheme to be truly effective?

Run blocking? We don't need no stinking run blocking!
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-24 17:51:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not with the death-defying aerial show our new/old OC is getting set to roll out.

Jagusah & Rocco (and Craig) worked well
by SEE  (2024-04-24 15:13:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rocco made a move.

Also, will we use any sets under center? Will we show
by krudler  (2024-04-24 12:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more than one RB (I would hope so given the depth we seem to have)? Will there be traps, counters, misdirection in the running game? Are we ok winning games with an offense similar to what Michigan ran (sans cheating), or is that kind of commitment to running and physically wearing down the opponent just too boring for us? Will above-average defenses as usual be able to identify exactly what we're doing before we run the play, shut down the run, and make us one-dimensional? I'm hopeful but am not holding my breath.

If Mitchell Evans comes back healthy in September, will
by MrE  (2024-04-24 13:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Raridon and Evans be part of a 2-TE base offense, or will those snaps be given to the 6th-year portal WRs, Collins, Thomas, Faison, Colzie?

All shotgun, all one back
by ACross  (2024-04-24 11:53:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is going to be inconsistent and unreliable. It will be useless should a decent team helicopter in on our pathetic schedule.

The scheme is the thing. None of our beat writers ask any questions about the scheme, except about how it is going to be more friendly to WR and "more downfield" and "more explosive."

The best pro offenses run a mixture of formations, shotgun, under center, one back, two back. So did Michigan last year.

I really don't know why people are optimistic about this jazzercize offense.

Correct. Denbrock doesn't believe in 2 backs, 2 TE, or
by 84david  (2024-04-25 08:22:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

QBs under center.

He has one formation. Shotgun, 1 Back, 1 TE, 3 WRs. We might put one of them in motion, but its really all the same. QB read the defense, then "take what the defense gives you" or hope for a mismatch.

We're only playing one really good defense this year- A&M. Maybe our defense can pitch a shutout.

This is the part I don't get re Freeman. I had the distinct
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-25 11:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

impression that he was more comfortable relying on a strong running game, Tressel-ball if you will. But the Denbrock hire belies that.

I'm concerned that he's done what so many unsuccessful teams/ADs do -- hire/draft the "safe" guy, the guy that you won't get second-guessed for -- rather than the guy who best fits what you need.

At least a jazzercize offence beats a prancercize offence. *
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-24 12:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. *
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-25 05:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACP is optimistic because they confuse cause and effect
by Jvan  (2024-04-24 12:16:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LSU’s quarterback and two best receivers will be high first round draft picks tomorrow. Denbrock was fortunate to have this elite level of talent. The ACP incorrectly assumes Denbrock’s offense is responsible for this production rather than the players. He doesn’t have anywhere near that level at ND (yet). This year’s results will reflect this year’s talent level and be further limited by the issues he will face with the pass blocking.

The ACP will also be eager to point out that LSU...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-24 18:12:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rushed for over 200 yards/game in 2023. But will neglect to mention that Jayden Daniels accounted for 45% of those yards -- mostly on long scrambles after passing plays broke down. He also accounted for a third of the team's total rush attempts.

The offense was #7 in scoring last year with a newbie
by RJD  (2024-04-24 15:59:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at OC so I don't think you need to be f'n clown to expect an uptick unless the new tackles soil the bed.

Also, #13 in yards-per-rush (5.28). Even the passing offense did well (#9 Passing Rating 165.39). And yes, that includes cupcakes and good teams just like everyone else's average...Rick

If we normalized to adjust for defensive scores, I'd guess
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-24 17:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the effective scoring offense would be closer to the 29th ranking for Total Offense. Because it was 47th in red zone scoring percentage and 16th in red zone TD percentage. (Why there isn't a readily accessible stat for scoring offense that removes non-offensive scores is beyond me. Another stat that adjusts for field position advantages created by defense would also be nice.) ND's defense was definitely notably better than average at creating scores and likely also better than average at creating short-field opportunities conducive to scoring. So 29thish is probably a good benchmark for where our offense actually stood last year and, thus, how progress should be measured this year.

I know you're always wearing your rose-tinted glasses, but it's hard to evaluate where we'll be this year. I would guess that if the talent were the same, we would have a more effective offense than last year, as I'll credit the idea that Denbrock has matured since he was generally not very good as the OC at ND. However, while RB should still be strong, our OL losses will probably be noticed. And our current strengths don't necessarily suit how Denbrock achieved success the past two years.

Nevertheless, assuming a strong OL performance, it'd be reasonable to have concerns that the in-over-his-head OC from last year could conceivably take what is still a strong stable of running backs and OL and actually produce a better scoring offense (defense-adjusted of course) in 2024 than would our current OC who will not have an elite athlete at QB and mature early round picks catching balls from him. If one took that position, he'd probably note that Denbrock was responsible for the 40th best scoring offense in 2014 (and 47th best TD percentage red zone offense) and (if all the homers are to be believed) 34th best scoring offense in 2015 (and whopping 79th best TD percentage red zone offense in 2015 despite a pretty balanced and talented attack). To say nothing of the 53rd best scoring offense in 2016 (and 55th best red zone TD percentage) when homers claim he was hamstrung.

% of available yards
by KeoughCharles05  (2024-04-25 22:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adjusts for field position.

If it's taken in the aggregate by total yards, yes.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-26 08:16:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But using it to call a 12-yard TD drive an unqualified success with predictive value for future scoring success simply because 100 percent of available yards on the drive were gained is not helpful. If that 12/12 is aggregated with a 35/70 drive and taken to show a 47/82 yards gained percentage, that has some value in isolating independent offensive value in a total yards context. But because total yards ignores the ability to score in the red zone, I find it less valuable as a go-to stat than scoring offense--so long as proper adjustments can be made to scoring offense to isolate offensive productivity into a predictive measure. The Kelly offensive tenure (including under Denbrock) consistently underperformed in scoring offense compared to total yards gained because red zone productivity of its candy-assed scheme ranged from mediocre to poor.

I like the concept of the SP+ comparing actual points scored v. expected points scored for an average team that takes into account the strength of defenses played. But I'm not totally clear on the full methodology. I would just make sure that the stat considers both the strengths of defenses played PLUS the expected point value of an average team based on each season's starting field position and compare to actual points scored from the starting position. I would find that more useful than a standalone % of available yards because it bakes in red zone efficiency translating to actual scoring.

Rubbish
by RJD  (2024-04-24 18:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You no like my numbers?

Good RBs won't exactly flourish in this rinky dink pass
by ACross  (2024-04-24 17:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

based spread.

Rose Tint my white ass *
by RJD  (2024-04-24 17:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adjusting for opponent strength, ND was 6th in 2015 in off
by mocopdx  (2024-04-24 17:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And 23rd in 2014. I didn't include that in my other post because I know the people I'm talking to find opponent-adjusted stats to be bullshit.

Thanks for the that. I'm not familiar enough with S&P+
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-25 08:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to know how useful either the Success Rate is, or how the points per play component is setup. I assume the latter is based only on offensive scores. But I don't know if that component accounts for field position. (My understanding is that there's some attempt to account for field position in the overall rankings.)

How did we do against Duke, Louisville, Clemson and Ohio St?
by Jvan  (2024-04-24 17:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not so great.

Yes, because we weren't # 6
by RJD  (2024-04-24 17:30:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What happens if ND plays on offense this year like LSU last season. Number One. Still pissed?

The Duke score is the most bothersome
by Wass  (2024-04-24 17:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Extremely mediocre team in a lousy conference. This game was the most disappointing one of the year, even if it was a win.

Our schedule was horrific last year *
by ACross  (2024-04-24 16:45:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And yet somehow it’s worse this year. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-25 00:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As was most team's *
by RJD  (2024-04-24 17:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume I fall into ACP
by mocopdx  (2024-04-24 14:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because I've expressed that while I don't expect a great offense, I also take issue with the ideas that Denbrock is a Kelly-clone as an OC and that his offenses will definitely suck against top competition.

It's not like we don't have data on this. Denbrock was the OC at ND in 2014 and 2015. In those two years we faced four teams who finished top 5 in the final AP poll. Here is what we scored in those games:

2014 vs FSU - 27 points
2015 vs Clemson - 22 points
2015 vs Stanford - 36 points
2015 vs Ohio State - 28 points

I don't think it's fair to pin 2016 on him as that was a perfect shit storm of variables that led to how bad that team was, and by all accounts the OC role was being "shared" between Sanford in some messed up way.

So while Denbrock had the OC reigns at ND in his last stint, we averaged 28.25 ppg against teams who finished in the top 5. I don't think that's laying turds.

I think he is a firm step up from Parker. I would have preferred someone who runs an offense like Michigan's, or the Packers, or the 49ers, too. Those offenses would play far better to our natural recruiting strengths, as I've said many times on here. I'm not a spread-lover, I don't think it's most suitable for a program like ND, but my point is that there's a wide range between "sucks and rules" for OCs, and I don't think Denbrock falls under "sucks". I think Mike Elko is a fine coach, and it bears noting that Denbrock was his first choice to join him at A&M.

I also think it's unfair to just say "well he had Jayden Daniels fall into his lap". Daniels was seen as a semi-bust at ASU and when he announced his transfer, teams were barely looking at him. When LSU took him, it was a nothingburger. He wasn't even a guarantee to start. Denbrock was the OC that coached him into a Heisman winner.

the OC when Brian Kelly was the coach at ND
by jt  (2024-04-24 16:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was Brian Kelly.

Someone else might have had the title, but it was his scheme, he held veto power, and he would shove his nose in and offer input whenever the fuck he wanted. Now, I'm sure that Denbrock was very involved and perhaps even running much of it, but there were no tweaks or adjustments that SRFSIM didn't approve of first before they were implemented. Oh, and I'm sure that Kelly was the driving force behind the 2016 fuck up, no question.

I didn't like the Denbrock hire at Notre Dame because he reminds me of the Kelly and Willingham regimes. Hard stop. I don't want to be reminded of those two regimes. I would have preferred a fresh face; unlike other guys, I think that you can run good running schemes from gun and/or pistol. I'm not married to under center/21 or 12 personnel groupings or whatever. There are a variety of ways to skin a cat.

There is no reason to run an offense exclusively from the
by ACross  (2024-04-24 16:48:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shotgun. If an OC is so committed to the formation, it means he is dumb.

it means he is limited
by jt  (2024-04-25 01:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he might also be dumb.

Be that as it may
by mocopdx  (2024-04-24 16:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Denbrock was "the OC" in two of the three best Kelly offenses, and his years were the only ones where we didn't look completely inept on offense against top teams.

other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
by jt  (2024-04-25 01:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I fucking hate the Willingham and Kelly regimes, for different reasons.

Everyone on that staff can go jump in a lake, as far as I'm concerned. I don't care which one is the tallest midget, they're all short little fuckers.

I don't get why Elko's interest in Denbrock
by dwjm3  (2024-04-24 14:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

continues to be cited when trying to justify the hiring. Elko isn't a proven elite head coach. He is the process of trying to prove himself at A&M. We don't know yet what will become of his career. It simply doesn't make any sense to mention him. If we were dueling Saban for his services, it might be noteworthy.

We dueled Saban for Tommy Rees’ services. *
by Marine Domer  (2024-04-24 21:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fair enough
by mocopdx  (2024-04-24 15:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Elko is widely respected and seen as an up-and-comer, but I get your point.