When is the last time we won a true road game against a team
by VaDblDmr (2024-04-23 16:06:52)

that is worth a shit? Freeman is going to have his hands full at A&M with this being Elko's first game and the usual all-in atmosphere at Kyle Field. It would be a strong win, the likes of which Freeman needs if he's going to be successful at ND.

College FB is about perception...2013 NW vs OSU game is a
by ndgenius  (2024-04-24 15:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perfect example of how the hype surrounding the game makes something bigger than it is.

Northwestern was 4-0, ranked #16 and was hosting College Gameday for the first time. They gave #4 Ohio State everything they could handle at home, including leading midway through the 4th and lost 34-30.

Was this a big road win for Ohio State? Of course it is...the crowd was frenzied and they got the best effort Northwestern can give because they thought they were a storybook ranked team.

Fast forward and Northwestern lost their next 6 games, barely beat (1-7) Illinois at the end of the year and finished 5-7.

Just because a team ends up shitty doesn't mean they were shitty when we played them. How many years did we have UofM battles against Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier only to have UofM become shit by the end of the year and get totally punked by Ohio State? Were they shitty when we played them in week one or two...nope, they were healthy and had their eyes on a title.

That's college football in a nutshell...the teams just aren't that good but when they think they're good, they can beat anyone and once the downward slide starts, it usually doesn't go well for the overwhelming majority of CFB teams.

I'm not convinced that anyone will think
by KeoughCharles05  (2024-04-23 17:48:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A&M is worth a shit by the end of the season.

Not sure what your standard is for "worth a shit" given the seeming inclusion of A&M in that group, but here's road wins over the last 15ish years against teams with 8+ wins.

2023 NCSU (9-4)
2023 Duke (8-5)
2022 UNC (8-5)
2020 UNC (8-4)
2019 Louisville (8-5)
2018 Northwestern (9-5)
2017 Michigan State (10-3)
2015 Temple (10-4)
2015 Pitt (8-5)
2014 FSU* (13-1*)
2012 Oklahoma (10-3)
2010 USC (8-5)

A lot of dreck in there, with '12 Oklahoma being the only real notable win, and '14 FSU as a should have been game that was stolen from us.

A&M might make this list, but I don't think they'd be much different than the majority of it. They have four games against pre-season top 12 teams (us, Missouri, LSU, and Texas), though all four are at home. 3 should-be wins against McNeese, Bowling Green, and NMSU. Middle of the schedule is: @ Florida, Arkansas (N), @ MSU, @ USC, @ Auburn. Especially if we win, I'd be quite surprised to see them pull out more than 8 wins. Elko's a good coach, but A&M is a program that is undergoing a lot of roster churn, and has hit the 10 win mark once in the last quarter century. The last decade for them has looked like a Brian Kelly/Monk Malloy fever dream of 8 win seasons, prompting the Texas 8 & 4 Moniker. I think Vegas agrees -- the current over/under is 8.5, and they're slight favorites to beat us.

So OU in 2012. Kyle Field will be a different animal on 8/31
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-23 18:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than the likes of NC State, UNC, Duke, etc.

The buildup of Kyle Field some are making feels a lot like
by KeoughCharles05  (2024-04-23 18:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the hype around Enter Sandman. From 2012-2023, in conference games A&M has gone 21-19 at home.

The game will bring with it some challenges. It's entirely possible that it's the toughest game on the schedule this year. But it's not going to be some sort of program defining moment, or career defining game for Freeman. If we beat them, we're likely to be one of several teams to do so this year.

And they fired that 21-19 coach. I was at the Bama A&M game
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-23 19:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at Kyle in 2021. It matched anything I've been to at ND. In fact, after my first game at Kyle, I commented that it reminded me of how ND used to be, albeit twice the size.

Were the young women dressed to the nines?
by mkovac  (2024-04-23 21:47:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They sure were in that hot game vs ND in ND Stadium in 2000.

All of the A&M fans were a class act.

While their stadium is an eyesore and the campus is meh,
by Manor76  (2024-04-23 22:45:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Aggies are the gold standard for hospitality toward the visiting team’s fans.

Is this true?
by 31-30  (2024-04-24 12:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am thinking of going, but not if it is some sort of urine-filled, couch-burning Orange Bowl or Horseshoe experience.

No, it's a great venue for either side. Bama fans at the '21
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-24 22:30:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

upset by A&M were treated fine. In fact, and while I think this particularly tradition is a little corny, Aggies don't boo. That's the kind of place it is.
And FWIW, they also have a large and very vibrant Catholic student community. Brand new $28 million church.

Yes. Their fans are incredibly friendly to the visitors. *
by Manor76  (2024-04-24 13:02:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a middlin’ SEC program and venue.
by ThreeD  (2024-04-23 20:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can probably name 10 better crowds venues in the SEC.
Now, it’ll be a tough game, but I think CK is right, doubtful anyone will think of 2024 aTm as world beaters. But it won’t take Elko long to improve them, just not immediately.

They were a middling SWC program.
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-24 17:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They caught fire in a bottle for a few years. They'll continue to compete with Mississippi State and the SEC's other Big 12 imports for the title of most mediocre SEC team. (Or, heck, maybe they'll buy a great team off the shelf, since we're doing that these days.)

Don't know which 10 venues you have in mind, but
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-23 20:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alabama is not one of them.

Off the top of my head, Death Valley,Swamp,Neyland, Sanford
by ThreeD  (2024-04-24 08:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jordan-Hare, Daryll Royal, OK Memorial, and yes, Tuscaloosa for a top matchup.

Hell South Carolina can be a damn loud, intense, and intimidating place for the right games.
Just like a dozen+ more non-SEC venues.

The fanbase at A&M is special, in a Special Uncle Butch sort of way. I get uncomfortable if there’s more than 2 of them at a social event. Please don’t talk about the yells. Ever.

I’d be more worried about SE Texas heat in early September than “The 12th Man” but, if we’re not prepared (see Louisville 2023), it’ll be rough. Once again, I expect it to be a tough game against a hyped up opponent in a rowdy road stadium. We should expect those types of games. We can evaluate the quality of the win in December.

Agree to disagree. I have kids at both A&M and Bama. A&M
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-24 11:13:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stadium is louder and more exuberant. DKR is a wine and cheese crowd, similar to ND.

Sure. And, to be clear
by ThreeD  (2024-04-24 12:57:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My ribbing of A&M fans is merely for fun.

I’ve been to many different stadia over the years and they’re all (for the most part) unique and fun in their own ways.

There is nothing "fun" about the Big (Out) House when
by domer4  (2024-04-25 11:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you lose.

Winning there, on the other hand, only means you hope to get out Ann Arbor alive.

Well it's a season opener and we've got a coaching staff
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-24 11:40:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and roster of guys who haven't accomplished anything of real consequence so we should be an extremely motivated and determined team ready to handle a challenge, especially since our schedule isn't packed with them.

Well, ESPN Gameday was at Temple in 2015, so I'd say
by MrE  (2024-04-23 16:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oklahoma 2012.

Robbed in 2014 at Florida State.

Temple 2015 was in Eagles stadium and 60%+ Irish fans
by 31-30  (2024-04-24 12:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and we still let them hang around

NDFlyer threw one hell of a tailgater that day. *
by ksqdomer  (2024-04-26 09:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vintage Brian Kelly.
by MobileIrish  (2024-04-24 15:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let an inferior team hang around. Forced to leave starters in the whole game. Throw in an epic sideline meltdown while attacking a staff member.