What could have been....
by mkovac (2024-04-23 14:06:08)
Edited on 2024-04-23 17:19:03

My former supervisor at Bolthouse Farms, Derek Yurosek, attended our local Catholic high school. He was an excellent offensive lineman and it was his dream to go to Notre Dame.

He was being recruited by Vinnie Cerrato. Things were looking great.

Then, ND won the 1988 National Championship and Vinnie pulled back on Derek. It was a crushing blow to Derek, who ended up being recruited by Urban Meyer at Colorado State where Derek ended up playing for Earl Bruce.

Derek met his wonderful Kellie at Colorado State and, surprisingly, she, too was from Bakersfield. They moved back here and Derek worked with his father and grandfather at Bunny Luv Farms, where Derek's grandfather invented and developed the "baby carrot" process and product.

Sometimes my wife and I would volunteer babysit for Derek and Kellie's children, one of whom, Benjamin, was a nice little guy.

That nice little guy was recruited by Brian Kelly and by Stanford, and Ben ended up going to Stanford. He did very well there, and has now transferred to Georgia as a tight end.

If only Vinnie had kept up his recruiting of Derek... But then, Derek would not have met Kellie and Ben would not have been born.

Sometimes, things just aren't meant to be, I guess.

Most importantly …. Maybe No Baby Carrots. :( *
by LAW83  (2024-04-24 19:07:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, Brian Kelly would've still been an a$$hole. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-24 17:58:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

word *
by mkovac  (2024-04-24 22:50:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great Story, thank you for sharing *
by ND Harvey  (2024-04-23 17:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you mean Earl Bruce. *
by Slotts  (2024-04-23 15:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Robert the Bruce *
by krudler  (2024-04-23 19:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

corrected. Thanks. *
by mkovac  (2024-04-23 17:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved Earl Weaver's baseball when I was a kid.
by Tex Francisco  (2024-04-23 15:07:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-04-23 16:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and kill the clock."

Earl Weaver has a better grasp of end-of-game strategy than most football coaches.

Neat story. As usual. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-23 14:53:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post