Why didnt you bold where he gave tribute to his patron?
by ACross (2024-04-04 01:19:30)

In reply to: Boy, Bevacqua badly wants a national title  posted by G.K.Chesterton

It is problematic. And what he says is laughable.

Exactly *
by eddysorin  (2024-04-05 10:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trying to give him the benefit of the doubt
by jt  (2024-04-04 13:46:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we don't know the exact context; is Hansen a savvy fan boy? He's the one asking the questions and he could have framed everything Sampson-esque in a way that sort of forced him to answer in the positive re Jack.

While I agree with you and the poster below that it is excessive (even for someone who wants to praise his predecessor) I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it will show up soon enough if he is a savvy clone.

Agreed- actions will speak far louder than words
by mocopdx  (2024-04-04 19:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It won’t take long to understand what we’re working with, and I don’t think these quotes tell us much yet.

Indeed, the truth will out.
by Manorcal  (2024-04-05 12:37:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until then, both praise and censure can be put on hold.

At the very least he’s drawn a line. You don’t make
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-04 17:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

statements like that and then offer gushing praise for a season where your best win is over Temple like Jack did in ‘15.

That is fair enough *
by ACross  (2024-04-04 15:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's just playing the game
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-04 10:40:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He would say what a good job Jack had done even if he were planning on tearing all the work out root an branch. It's a standard nicety.

It was pretty gratuitous and repetitive.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-04 10:47:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It read to me to go further than standard nicety. Not the end of the world. But Jack seemed to evaluate Kelly as the best possible coach and diagnose any program failings as stemming from things other than Kelly that Kelly could help identify. It led to a lot of bullshit changes that had no material affect on winning. And for a long time it distracted the program from focusing on important changes (hire better assistants and work harder at recruiting).

So if I see Pete approach his job with the same deferential assumption that Jack did the best possible job, that will be an ongoing concern about whether Pete is correctly diagnosing problems and appropriately prescribing solutions. It may have just been what he felt to be a courtesy as he started the job. But it's something that I'll be watching for.

Do you expect him to lay waste to his predecessor a week
by dignan  (2024-04-04 10:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After taking the job? Especially after working alongside him for the last 6 months. There’s still politics at play here, and I would expect that even if Bevacqua absolutely loathes Jack and hates him like you do, he’s still going to say nice things about him in public. I’m fine with that.

The stuff about wanting/needing a national title soon sure beats the shit out of “Our goal is to be in the conversation….”. Talk is cheap, so we’ll see what his actions are, but it’s refreshing.

Not to mention that Jack will probably linger around
by garbageplate  (2024-04-04 11:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua's life will be easier by being diplomatic and keeping his true feelings, whatever they are, private.

I hope he doesn't linger longer. *
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-05 07:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope that he eats shit and dies
by jt  (2024-04-05 15:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the figurative sense, of course.

We all want him gone immediately and forever
by garbageplate  (2024-04-05 10:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he's not going to grant us that parting gift.

Oh my ass
by ACross  (2024-04-04 12:42:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bevacqua could move his office to the basement and take his red stapler. What is Jack going to do about it?

chuckle *
by eddysorin  (2024-04-05 10:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not fear of retribution
by garbageplate  (2024-04-04 13:43:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's about choosing one's battles and avoiding needless conflict. I'm not sure that's ever been your strong suit.

Nobody is asking him to say
by ACross  (2024-04-04 14:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want to win a NC like many alumni, except for my predecessor and those Kellyloving sizzlechests on TPG.

But then we wouldn't have your fascinating exegesis *
by garbageplate  (2024-04-04 15:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

* ~ "Fascinating Exegesis Bro" to the RHG ~ *
by Jess  (2024-04-05 10:27:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Completely agree. It's foolish to do anything but praise him
by dulac89  (2024-04-04 10:54:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The more that he praises Jack and "cements" his legacy as a great leader, the more likely Jack fades away feeling that his work is complete

I've taken over from some pretty incompetent assholes but you'd never know that from my speech I gave about them. And everyone else in the audience knows too. Let the guy go away thinking he was great and disappear from my life.

If you are almost immediately, even subtly, criticizing your predecessor, the more likely they are to want to respond or stay involved. This is basic leadership politics.

Presumably, because he was making a different point. *
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-04 09:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty hard to ignore
by ACross  (2024-04-04 09:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it is disconcerting for him to be
such a kiss ass.

I'm going to give him a pass and let him pucker up
by eddysorin  (2024-04-05 11:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once.

On the way out.

Fine. Just not sure why you asked the question.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-04 12:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OP’s point is pretty clear. As is yours. Two things can be true.

It’s pretty standard to thank your predecessor
by Ndwahoo  (2024-04-04 10:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For getting the organization to this point.

If I can see further, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants.

What would your initialspeech/interview be?

“F that guy. Onward and upward!”

Amirite?

Maybe just not mention him would be a start *
by ACross  (2024-04-04 12:41:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack needed nearly two decades to lay the foundation
by Chuck84  (2024-04-04 08:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes sense to me.

He needed paint. Lots of paint. Many, many, many coats. *
by arasera  (2024-04-04 13:40:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

jumbotron, fake turk, smoke, Ozzy.
by 84david  (2024-04-04 10:25:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the essential elements of a champion (gag)

shanty off to boston, wailing banshee pregame songs.... *
by 84david  (2024-04-04 14:07:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Savvy always resisted Kelly’s demand for a
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-04 12:37:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rotating stripper pole.

That's understandable. Jack's always been a meticulous
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-04 08:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

jerk.

I want to believe that he can't wait until our AD Emeritus
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-04 05:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is finally our AD Goneus. He probably had to suck up bigtime to get the job and he's just biding his time with the lofty platitudes in praise of our hopefully-soon-to-be-former Fearless Leader. At least that's what I want to believe. So I guess I'm coping. It's not like any of us can do anything about it anyway.

I'd be thrilled if Bevaqua's first meaningful action would be to eliminate the smoke or turn the sound down on the Jacktron. At least we'd know he's heading in the right direction. Baby steps until he's ready to finally undo all the rot Jack has wrought during his 16 year Reign of Terror on Notre Dame Football - a legend is anything you do twice - and finally Tear the Roof off the Sucker!

At least that's what I hope. A boy can dream, I guess.

Those comments were cringe worthy. *
by NDBass  (2024-04-04 04:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post