I think we agree - Jack's core problem is not that he is an
by ACross (2024-03-27 11:54:41)

In reply to: I think that's the fundamental difference  posted by Freight Train

attorney. It is that he is an aloof, craven, haughty, conniving, self aggrandizing, opportunistic, self serving, self centered, nepotistic jerk whose priorities and loyalties are woefully misguided. He views our adversaries as his colleagues, our vendors as his partners, his fellow alumni as unsavvy gnats.

His niche legal practice was small time: he served as outside general counsel to amateur athletic organizations such as USA Gymnastics and USA Diving. While there, he dispensed legal advice relating to the obligation of such organizations to report allegations of sexual abuse of minors to law enforcement. He later distanced himself from the horrific advice he provided, hiding behind the cloaks of attorney client privilege and bankruptcy. He also lied about receiving an honorary flying wedgie. I am not sure why O'Leary could not get away with fuidging a resume but Swarbrick could.

Swarbrick's crackerjack legal instincts were on full display in perhaps Notre Dame's most tragic on campus event - the Declan Sullivan scissor lift in a gale force windstorm. He tried to spin the news coverage and liability posture.

His instincts served Notre Dame the same way with the vacatur of wins due to academic fraud. He countenanced the direct violation of the NCAA's edict that Notre Dame not publish any of the vacated wins in any fashion. But to honor the NCAA punishment would diminish the credit that Swarbrick yearned to take for Kelly. So he ordered the celebration of Kelly as the winningest ND coach at the time of the ND/Wisconsin game.

He showed disdain for notions of candor and transparency time and again on issues like artificial turf and shoes/equipment vendor. He arranged for jobs for two of his children with two of the athletic department's biggest vendors.

No, Swarbrick did not fail because he was a lawyer. He failed because he is a douche.

Bevacqua, by all accounts, is a good man.

So, now, we have a good man as a football head coach, a good man as a AD. We should be genuinely grateful for those gifts.

Let us raise a collective finger in the direction of the Cheesecake Factory at Keystone at the Crossing and finally bestow the honor of a Flying Wedgie he claimed long ago.

Replies: