Jack having a hard time giving it up?
by SWPaDem (2024-03-22 12:55:40)
Edited on 2024-03-22 13:00:23

Jack Swarbrick is leaving his job with Notre Dame in fine shape, and with college sports in chaos.

“I feel so bad about how it’s messed up right now,” the Fighting Irish athletic director told Sportico over Zoom this week, in the waning days before he retires after 15 years on the job. “I hope I can find a path that allows me to still play a role.

Over his tenure, Swarbick developed the reputation as an unconventional thinker, particularly when it came to matters of college athletes earning money. Last October, for example, Swarbrick made headlines following his testimony before a Congressional committee, when he voiced the “fairly radical notion” that it was time for schools to consider engaging in collective bargaining with college athletes. And he had expressed support, years before many of his counterparts, for the idea that college athletes should be able to earn name, image and likeness (NIL) money. Yet Swarbrick’s rhetoric, while notable, didn’t exactly make him a change agent. Nor does he sound so avant-garde in the face of today’s most pressing questions.

After this week, Swarbrick will continue on with the title of athletic director emeritus through the end of June, after which he will base himself out of Indianapolis—close enough to Notre Dame’s campus in South Bend, Ind., but not too close.

“I don’t want to be one of those former coaches or ADs that just hangs around,” he said. “So I’ll try and make myself scarce unless I’m requested.”

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the
by graNDfan  (2024-03-23 17:03:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

You think he’s gone? He’s not gone! That’s the whole point!
by IrishLep  (2024-03-23 11:42:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s never gone!

Baby Steps, Jack *
by rfk  (2024-03-23 16:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how do you shoot the devil in the back, Lt Kujan?
by jt  (2024-03-23 15:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What if you miss?

You know what happens
by Molly Maguires  (2024-03-25 07:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you do another turn in the joint?

Jack, we can't miss you if you don't leave
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-03-23 11:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean this is getting to be like that scene in the "Odd Couple" movie with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mattheau.

Felix: "In other words, you're throwing me out."
Oscar: "Not 'in other words!' Those are the PERFECT words!"

Felix: "You mean this minute?"
Oscar: "Yes! This minute! If you could do it sooner, I'd appreciate it!"

Be gone. *
by Nyirish08  (2024-03-23 10:24:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Jack needs an intervention.
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-23 08:40:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His hanging around here after Monday - even for a day - can't be any good for the new regime. Something doesn't smell right about this. (Anybody here from Denmark?) And what is Sportico and why is he even talking to them?

Hit the road, Jack. And don't you come back, no more, no more, no more, no more. Hit the road, Jack and don't you come back no more!!!

How can I miss you when you won’t go away. *
by ndnjlaw  (2024-03-23 08:19:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will Jack commission a statue of himself?
by arch_moore  (2024-03-23 07:59:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps sitting on the bench next to Moose Krause?

We’ve been together… for so long. *
by bizdomer09  (2024-03-22 21:17:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"So I’ll try and make myself scarce unless I’m requested."
by cmhirish  (2024-03-22 18:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other words, being caught on the ND sideline by the television camera no more than 3 times per season.

Or 4 times. Once each in August, September, October, and November. So 4. But that's the absolute max. No more.

That's not including the bowl game appearance.

Don’t “try”, Jack. Succeed. Just as you did for everythin…
by Brahms  (2024-03-23 05:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

….you put your mind to at your remarkable career at ND.

His self-importance knows no bounds
by BmoreIrish  (2024-03-22 19:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's both congratulating himself for being so magnanimous as to step aside, while also making it clear that the organization can't possibly function without him.

And he has no idea that this is why he stunk at his job.

Can no one rid me of this meddlesome priest and AD? *
by OldIrishFan  (2024-03-22 16:20:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't want to go on the cart. I feel happy *
by Moff  (2024-03-22 15:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You'll be stone dead in a moment. *
by cmhirish  (2024-03-22 19:10:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I'll go for a walk. *
by PWK2  (2024-03-23 12:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I feel happy *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-23 18:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He probably was breast fed until 7 *
by airborneirish  (2024-03-22 14:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An insult not to be used lightly
by 67NDUSMCMD  (2024-03-22 20:00:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His mother probably got vaginitis after he was born

I heard his mother never breastfed him
by drmurray  (2024-03-22 16:29:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She liked him as a friend

Just like Manny Ramirez. *
by cujays96  (2024-03-22 15:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also breast feeds his children. He calls his left tit NBC
by lespaulkevin  (2024-03-22 15:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and his right tit Under Armour.

This came to mind. Tip of the hat to mkovac's Talk Talk
by Grace91  (2024-03-22 14:43:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thread in the BR:

Also, Jack, go ahead and make yourself scarce immediately. You won't be missed, needed, or your absence mourned.

*getting
by enginerd194  (2024-03-22 14:29:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn't aware he'd moved to South Bend in the first place *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-22 14:23:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts exactly *
by jt  (2024-03-22 21:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't Fr. Hesburgh travel the world for a year after
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-22 14:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

retiring so the next president could operate without concern about people going to Hesburgh for help?

Yes. He and Father Joyce. They started across the US in a RV
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-03-23 11:40:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wrote a book about it - “Travels with Ted & Ned”

I would not advise Jack to do so by sailboat. *
by tdiddy07  (2024-03-22 14:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or by scissor lift *
by Freight Train  (2024-03-22 16:13:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you mean Savy is an excellent judge of the wind. *
by OITLinebacker  (2024-03-22 16:03:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick is Russian for "Break wind" * *
by drmurray  (2024-03-22 16:30:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"...didn't exactly make him a change agent."
by BmoreIrish  (2024-03-22 13:55:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Landscape monitors rarely are.

Key word was "emeritus"
by RJD  (2024-03-22 13:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"a person retired from professional life but permitted to retain as an honorary title the rank of the last office held."

KEEP the CLOCK running!

Emeritus is just an honorary title with no power
by MBOIrish  (2024-03-22 15:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or participation in decision making. So keep the clock running as an ND employee but it sounds like he wants to meddle with NIL, unionization and realignment issues as the big cheese. Think of a very pungent, foul smelling cheese.

And, often, an office *
by ufl  (2024-03-22 13:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An orafice *
by drmurray  (2024-03-22 16:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should be able to "emeritus" from home *
by RJD  (2024-03-22 13:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do
by ufl  (2024-03-22 14:14:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They didn’t give me a parking place.

Side note
by RJD  (2024-03-22 14:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a freshman, I still remember the first time I saw Ara's Ford (like the commercials) in his parking spot in front of the ACC. Gave me chills...Rick

Imagine what Mrs. Swarbrick must go through. *
by Marine Domer  (2024-03-22 13:49:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't have to; he's been f-cking ND fans for years *
by jt  (2024-03-22 13:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This reminds me of the Lloyd Carr “interview” in NDoldtown’s
by IAND75  (2024-03-22 13:41:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Bo Dead: America Mourns” HOF thread.

Seriously, anyone who has ever been in any leadership position knows full well that when you leave you say goodbye to your successor, wish him or her well, and tell them that they have your phone number and email address if they ever need to talk about anything. And you fully expect you will never hear from them.

Once your term is up your only remaining responsibility is to go…just go.

Every time we think he's out, he drags himself back in!
by Queensman  (2024-03-22 13:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's nothing having like the old boss,...
by Finn_MacCool  (2024-03-22 13:36:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sticking around to look over the new boss' shoulder.

El K - Please add 97 days to the countdown clock *
by Lloyd Braun  (2024-03-22 13:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, apocalypse isn't cancelled? *
by Wooderson  (2024-03-28 06:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hyman Roth did not find a suitcase after waking from his nap
by Frank Drebin  (2024-03-22 13:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now he knows he does not have a business partner

his hands are tied; the billions shift from side to side
by jt  (2024-03-22 13:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he needs to be able to fix the problem that he helped create, and I am sure that he has some friends and family members whom he could hire to help him do just that.

he needs to create a vacuum and then fill it. As popular war advances, peace is closer.

Ain't that fresh? *
by Smokin_Clover  (2024-03-22 13:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does he have a parking spot that someone can put a sign on
by Grace91  (2024-03-22 13:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a la Devine or Faust? That was well before my time on campus, to be clear.

Looks like he gave himself an extension through June *
by ACross  (2024-03-22 12:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The end of ND's fiscal year, correct? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-22 14:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are blessed.
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-22 13:01:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Might have to restart the countdown clock.