To me it is a matter of scale.
by wpkirish (2024-03-22 12:15:46)

In reply to: How do you see that playing out?  posted by novadamer

Go back to 1986 Hotlz's first contract I think he was making like 300,000 all in. If my memory is right it was divided between his salary and thinks like shoe deals, camps, radio etc. Adjusted for inflation that should be around 850,000 today.

The schools make millions, pay coaches millions and have staffs of dozens if not hundreds of people all making a good living. The networks make hundreds of millions and pay their announcers millions and employ thousands of people making a very good living.

The only people not making money are the students. Yes I understand they get a degree and as a parent with a child headed off to college I understand the expense but my son also isnt one of the 3000 best football players graduating fromHS this year.

As for immaturity no one ever seems to raise that issue for HS baseball kids who get drafted so I dont understnd the concern here.

Yes the system will change but that is because the powers that be exploited an unfair system for far too long and refused to change anything.