in 7 years, Kelly has had 3 out of 5. What's wrong with this picture?
Some kind of Creighton guy or something?
but - lincoln is fun.
journalism school? they're pretty good at that over there
hope all is well (minus the crappy football)
for 2 years will be near the top of the list.
No thanks. Maybe a lateral move with perhaps assistant head coach tag, but surely not the way to climb your way back above where they're at.
but regardless of who they end up hiring, I applaud Nebraska for apparently determining Pelini isn't a championship-caliber HC and cutting ties.
The potential for a hire that would take the program over the top beats sticking with a known mediocrity.
Powlus and Krug were as well. Who can name the other?
this one is hard.
he was like 5-10, 240 and could squat 600 pounds. Cannot remember his name.
Answer: Thad Busby
With the current landscape of college football, demographic trends, etc. I think it'll take a once in a generation coach for them to ever be perennial NC contender again. The one thing they have going for them is they play in the weak half of a weak conference.
Pelini has finished with AP rankings of NR, 14, 20, 24, 25, NR, TDB.
I think it is unreasonable, after seven seasons, to expect his teams to produce top ten/contend for playoff seasons.
The next coach will probably do worse (I said this same thing when they fired Solich and hired Callahan), but he has the potential to have a higher ceiling than Pelini.
What does trade down mean? Intentionally hire a worse coach than they just fired?
Pulling numbers out of my ass, I'd say there's a 40% chance the next guy is the same, 40% he's worse, and 20% he's better. Although the underlying reasons why are not the same, I think Nebraska football is similar to Notre Dame basketball in that, barring a once-in-a-generation coach, the program now has a much lower ceiling than it did 20-40 years ago.
coaches are hired but if anybody would do that it would be ND. If true ND has felt football had gotten too big and deliberately deemphasized in the past.
I think Scott Frost is in the running for that job.
but the same could be said about ND contending for NC's.
Notre Dame because of academics, because of national exposure, because of the national schedule we play, etc. can make a much stronger case for not going to State U than Nebraska can. When Notre Dame pitches kids in Florida, Notre Dame is selling a different product. Nebraska is really just selling an inferior version of the same product, which is Big State U football factory.
were called racist for firing the(expletive deleted).
0 five-loss seasons. If you compare their five best seasons, Kelly wins the first matchup and loses the next four.
Isn't that the benchmark for greatness?
much in this one. They want Frost, now, before someone else takes him.
And he'd give us more sideline yelling to complain about.
and isn't going to want to come to a sinking ship.
It is 2008 all over again; maybe Tom Verducci's brother is available again.
No? Sorry, he's not qualified to work on this staff.
coexist? I doubt it very seriously. I mean would you want to take direction from someone that is a worse coach than you?
Trace Armstrong, please make it happen.
One of the dumbest moves in college football history. That AD proclaimed, "I refuse to allow Nebraska football to become irrelevant" and then made them irrelevant.
Always be weary of idiots with strong personalities who are in charge.
I guess some schools take football serious.
If you think Kelly is going to drastically improve over the next 2 years I have some ocean front property in Arizona you may want to take a look at.