Not to nitpick
by DBCooper (2021-12-01 21:58:12)
Edited on 2021-12-01 21:59:07

In reply to: Dear Coach Freeman, please fix recruiting:  posted by MrE

But it depends which service you are looking at. I’m guessing you are using 247 composite. 247 own rankings have 5 ND players in top 100 (including CJ). On3 has 5 as well (not including CJ).

100 is an arbitrary number. ND certainly needs more 100 top recruits, and I think Freeman will improve those numbers, but the recruiting services are not all aligned when it comes to who is a top 100 recruit. And it’s not even close sometimes

On3 doesn’t think much of CJ Williams at all, as an example. Not even top 300. 247 has Eli raridon as the 2nd best TE and ranked 65 overall. Rivals has him as the 22nd TE and not even ranked overall.

never heard of On3, but it looks like they have only 1 also.
by MrE  (2021-12-01 22:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100 is where the top programs are killing the competition.

Even more specifically, 5-star (top 32) recruits, which have a significantly higher hit rate of high-NFL draft pick compared to 4-star, 3-star. Off the charts difference.

So it's not arbitrary when you consider those facts, but rather an indicator of having the most talent on your roster.

On3 was started by the same guy who started
by DBCooper  (2021-12-01 22:07:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rivals and 247. And he is hiring a lot of the good recruiting people.

My point is if one service calls a guy a top 100 player but another doesn’t, how do you know which one fits your top 100 definition?

You picked the lowest ND number, but there are recruiting services that have that number much higher.

Doesn’t mean ND needs more. They certainly do

Rivals has 1 ND player in their top 100. *
by MrE  (2021-12-01 22:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, they are probably the one dragging the others down
by DBCooper  (2021-12-01 22:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is rivals rankings better than 247 over the last 5 years in projecting talent? I don’t know.

I think the desire for more 5 stars is the more important need. Usually those guys are pretty clearly the top recruits. Freeman will hopefully make an improvement there

no clue which service is better or puts more resources into
by MrE  (2021-12-01 22:24:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

grading kids.

Hence, I prefer the Composite because it blends or hedges the services, for lack of a better term.

Either way, it's clear ND needs many more elite players to close the gap on the field with the elite teams, as demonstrated by both recruiting rankings and on-field results. And that can be done with an elite recruiting HC and staff (Weis proved it, for chrissakes).

On3 has 1 ND recruit in top 100
by MrE  (2021-12-01 22:08:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the Talent Composite blends all 3 of the major ranking systems.

Again, you are looking at a composite
by DBCooper  (2021-12-01 22:10:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5 in their own rankings