This is insane.
by ndtnguy (2021-12-01 21:33:22)

I don't care if he was cobbled together in a lab from leftover parts of Ara and Frank Leahy: Marcus Freeman has precisely one year's coaching experience in any capacity above the mid-major level. He has five year's total experience at the coordinator level.

This is not new-talent night at the Bluebird Cafe.

Similar resume to Lincoln Riley
by bmoreirish  (2021-12-01 21:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a gamble to be sure, but the potential reward is great. We’ve all worked with people who would be good at anything they tried. I hope he’s one of those people.

I just hope his resume is truthful *
by milhouse  (2021-12-01 22:05:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice goatee. *
by arch_moore  (2021-12-01 21:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nope.
by Rockbrig97  (2021-12-01 21:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll sign on to this one. I think it’s a helluva move.

It is kind of your inclination *
by ACross  (2021-12-01 21:55:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edsall has decades of experience. You want him? *
by ND44  (2021-12-01 21:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What would you have said three years ago about Matt LaFleur? *
by Jvan  (2021-12-01 21:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, it's inspired and the right move. *
by knutesteen  (2021-12-01 21:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a big risk
by ACross  (2021-12-01 21:57:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No question about it.

His choice of OC is a bad omen.

I think it is a risk we needed to take
by knutesteen  (2021-12-01 22:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also never trusted Jack to conduct a proper search and find what he characterized as a corporate manager-type coach, to paraphrase. The "choice" of Rees is just a stop-gap measure for more continuity, and I actually believe free of his former HC, he might actually run a more pro-style offense. If not, he'll move on after a season.

Ok. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-12-01 21:46:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No.
by GCND0395  (2021-12-01 21:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insane. We now have a chance to win a NC. We had no chance with Kelly. Hope is alive again at ND. I am all in. Excited. Kelly took that from me (and many other critical thinkers) long ago. Let’s Go Irish!!

He was at Purdue for four years
by fontoknow  (2021-12-01 21:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purdue is a little bit better than mid major.

It is a high risk, high reward hire.

I like that he is connected to a deep coaching tree...a tree that gave ND three national championships.

It is a low hanging fruit hire, but it seems like players are willing to run through walls for him and then crawl over broken glass.

Not when he was there. PU was 9-39 those four years. *
by doolinbanjos  (2021-12-01 22:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Giving him at least 10 years more time at a major program
by ShermanOaksND  (2021-12-01 21:54:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as either a coach or player than Kelly had 12 years ago (zero).

Who are you suggesting we should have gotten?
by ndmdchgo  (2021-12-01 21:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban? Meyer? Stoops? No way on any of them.
Fickle? Campbell? Ruhle?
I'll take Freeman and Rees

Swarbrick thinks he is doing the same thing OSU and
by dwjm3  (2021-12-01 21:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oklahoma did. He thinks Kelly is an elite coach so it is natural to promote from his staff.

Of course Oklahoma and OSU both promoted guys who worked under national championship winning coaches. Kelly isn’t fit to hold their coffee.

I really want Freeman to succeed, but the odds are truly long.

I have a sinking feeling about this.
by RallyingSon  (2021-12-01 22:00:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like I did when Niele Ivey was promoted. A young person I love and desperately want to succeed is very possibly being set up for failure because they are not experienced enough.

Disclaimer: I'm a pessimist.

Odds are not truly long at all…
by wiNDycityfan  (2021-12-01 21:45:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he brings in the star recruits he allegedly is capable of, with our shit schedule (the next 4-5 years are littered with patsies not named Ohio State, Clemson, Texas A&M and USC, and these last four are sprinkled throughout the timeframe), how can you bomb this? I mean, Kirby Smart just went undefeated for fuck’s sakes.

Kirby Smart had multiple years of coordinator experience
by dwjm3  (2021-12-01 21:51:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

under Saban. Freeman has nothing like that on his resume.

Wasn’t Freeman a coordinator at Cincinnati?
by wiNDycityfan  (2021-12-01 22:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look, we weren’t getting Saban or Dabo, Meyer is a whore, and Stoops went back to OU. Next tier was Fickell on its own, but in my mind, blocked for variety of reasons. Freeman, given the circumstances around Kelly’s departure and our stance today, checks more boxes than anybody else - Campbell, etc.

I think it’ll be fine. Never underestimate a tireless underdog.

Sweeney was never a coordinator
by fontoknow  (2021-12-01 21:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Urban Meyer was never a coordinator.

Ed Orgeron was never a coordinator.

Swinney took time to ripen.
by NDBass  (2021-12-01 22:07:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also learned the value of employing excellent assistant coaches. As did Orgeron. Meyer started at smaller schools and quickly moved up. He had more flexibility when it came to assistants, but he's also one of the great head coaches in CFB history. They all had more experience as assistants at big time programs.

One thing they all have in common is recruiting prowess, which is good, but I don't think their experience prior to their first head coaching gigs can be compared.

I’m not following you on Meyer
by dwjm3  (2021-12-01 22:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer was a head coach at smaller programs before he got a big time gig.

I agree his resume is most similar to Dabo. The question is whether you trust Swarbrick to identify that diamond in the rough.

How much big time experience did Tressel have before
by GoldenBlues  (2021-12-01 21:37:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completely turning Ohio State into a year in and out contender ?

14 years as a HC
by Gpnd03  (2021-12-01 21:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't big time, but any experience as a hc is still relevant. Tressels resume has no relevance to anything here.

You've cited an instances where it apparently worked out
by FL_Irish  (2021-12-01 21:39:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many instances are there when giving someone this inexperienced the keys to the kingdom didn't work out?

May be some growing pains.
by Bruno95  (2021-12-01 21:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it’s worth a try. They think they have a star in the building, and it’s been a long time since that’s been the case.

He's not much more inexperienced than Dabo, Riley or Day.
by revressbo  (2021-12-01 21:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about we let him coach a game first before freaking out?

Probably almost as many as when good coaches
by milhouse  (2021-12-01 21:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably almost as many as when good coaches failed at big programs.

Lots of flavor of the month coaches have gone from smaller Division I-A schools to bigger ones and failed. Herman, Mullen, Fuente… both lists are plenty long.