Outstanding post except your use of Chinaman
by dulac89 (2021-12-01 13:08:04)

In reply to: Yeah, it never mattered that Kelly was a craven mercenary  posted by ACross

Even in the context you are using it, it is no longer acceptable

Agreed and agreed. It is not 1988 anymore. *
by BigBadBrewer  (2021-12-01 15:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. It's very bad look, and needs to be called out. *
by NDFanSince81  (2021-12-01 13:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope you continue on your crusade *
by ACross  (2021-12-01 13:25:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember first hearing it over 50 years ago...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-12-01 13:16:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...(Jaysus, Mary & Joseph, that's a long time ago, sort of).

Anyway, the ward heelers in Chicago's 19th used the phrase to mean someone's clout/connection, but I doubt I've heard it used in decades, except in private conversations over drinks on Western Avenue with older-timers than me ("Studs Casey? Wasn't his [guy] from Ed Kelly's organization?"). Now people will just say, so-and-so's clout.

In the military, it is having a “Rabbi.” *
by usmcirish  (2021-12-01 13:40:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I firtst heard it in Chicago
by ACross  (2021-12-01 13:22:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

used in the context as one's sponsor or patron at an organization or firm.

Because it has nothing to do with race, I find it acceptable. Like calling somebody Chief. Or shanty lace curtain Irish mick.

To be clear, mocking the Irish is always acceptable. Also
by dulac89  (2021-12-01 19:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if the rumors are true, it appears you were right and I was wrong about Swarbrick's press conference favoring Fickell over Freeman