we can laugh at Davie all we want (as I often do)
by jt (2021-12-01 12:14:13)

In reply to: What a ridiculous post  posted by pmcdnd96

but he would have been far more successful at ND were he given the breaks that Kelly got.

He couldn't run an offense if his life depended on it *
by sprack  (2021-12-01 13:16:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which he could have fixed by Promoting Urban to OC *
by OITLinebacker  (2021-12-01 13:42:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The opening drive against Stanford in 2000
by 105Marquette  (2021-12-01 13:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was proof literally staring at Davie in the face that Urban should've taken over the entire offense. And he either could not or would not see it.

against crap teams like what we've played?
by jt  (2021-12-01 13:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he would have been just fine.

His offensive recruiting was getting worse by the year
by sprack  (2021-12-01 13:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It had nothing to do with "breaks". He couldn't coach an offense any better than Charlie could coach a defense, and it was killing his recruiting on that side of the ball.

He would not have been able to turn it around even if he got a 2016-style reprieve.

it wouldn't have been getting so bad
by jt  (2021-12-01 13:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we could have subbed out Nebraska, A/M, and MSU for some random MAC schools and weakened ACC teams.

It's amazing how much better an offense looks when it has a complete talent advantage. Like, oh I don't know, our games vs the New Mexico's of the world as opposed to our games vs Alabama.

Davie sucked, no question. But Kelly sucks just as badly and was propped up. Davie had far more to overcome, and little to no support (rightly so) from the AD or administration. The mistake was not in firing Davie, the mistake is in propping up a shitheel like Kelly.

Absolutely
by pmcdnd96  (2021-12-01 12:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If anybody is wondering if the schedules have really gotten easier under Kelly and Swarbrick, remember that when Davie put up a horrible 7-6 in his first season at ND, four of those losses were to ranked teams and two of the wins were against ranked teams.

I mostly just wanted to make fun of him.

You're wrong. He was terrible.
by gregmorrissey  (2021-12-01 12:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I worked sports info and had to listen to his post-game press conferences. Bob Davie was not a good coach. He was not even Brian Kelly good. He is an 8-4/9-3 coach no matter what breaks or schedule he could be given.

I think that's the point. He'd be an 8-4/9-3 coach with
by tdiddy07  (2021-12-01 12:40:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's breaks. An 8-4 coach is a .666 clip. An 8.5-win average is a .708 coach. Davie's 35-25 record is a .583 clip.

That's what I said. Davie is worse than Kelly any way you
by gregmorrissey  (2021-12-01 12:54:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

look at it. That is not to mean that Brian Kelly is a great coach. But, if you believe that Bob Davie was ever getting us to the playoffs then I have a bridge to sell you. I don't care what the schedules looked like. He was good for at least one to two absolutely stupid losses every year.

I don't know why it's hard for people to admit that Brian Kelly was a despicable person, a good football coach, was probably never going to win a national championship at Notre Dame, was right to take 70m additional dollars, and Notre Dame should be so much happier today because LSU's AD was desperate. All of things can be and probably are true.

Bob Davie nearly made the BCS in 1998
by jt  (2021-12-01 13:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he would have if he knew how to run out the clock.

Here is our last 3 coaches meeting each other for the first time:

Kelly is a .662 without ineligible players. .729 with them.
by tdiddy07  (2021-12-01 13:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's in the same ballpark as a projected 8.5 win Davie simply based on playing easier schedules. To say nothing of the recruiting restrictions that have been eased since Davie coached. And Davie were allowed in year 8 to keep learning on the job and given administrative direction in hiring new coordinators, he probably could've improved upon his first 7 years of performance to.

Yes, the exercise requires a lot of projection. But that was the point. Kelly has achieved what he achieved with benefits that Davie never had.

we've basically played the 1998 schedule every year
by jt  (2021-12-01 12:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the past few years (with the exception of having the tough game vs UM that we won easily). He was 9-2 with that schedule in the regular season, and then played a close game vs the 12 team in the nation.

They are the same guy. Both weasels.

I read this as "1988 schedule" and thought for a minute
by Moff  (2021-12-01 12:30:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that you had lost your mind. I should have known better.

he would have had 10 win seasons with this schedule *
by irishrock  (2021-12-01 12:23:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or if he'd just made Meyer the OC *
by akaRonMexico  (2021-12-01 12:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Meyer as his OC and playing the dregs we've played
by jt  (2021-12-01 12:22:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

John Robinson would have been right and Bob Davie would have won 100 games at ND.