Who would be a big enough name to unify NDNation?
by gregmorrissey (2021-11-29 18:01:52)

In reply to: There you go. Use your list.  posted by MrE

I'm not in favor of most of the names thrown around. I would take my time and talk to Fickell, Freeman, and Rees and see how they check my "elite coach required qualities" boxes. I would also spend considerable time talking to the best recruiting analysts to find out who the top recruiters are. I would probably place a call to Nick Saban to discuss the guys he's been most impressed with. After that, I should have a list of 10-20 names, and I'd talk to every one of them. The idea that Matt Campbell or some other "name" that hasn't sniffed an undefeated season or top-level recruiting success (either players or coaches) is all of a sudden going to morph into the 2nd coming of Parseghian is like wishing on a star. Not my favored approach.

Rees?
by Otter  (2021-11-29 18:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rest of your post made sense.

Talk to him - Didn't say offer him the job
by gregmorrissey  (2021-11-29 18:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would be focused on gathering as many data points as possible. And, while I don't think it's true, I don't personally know enough about Rees to know that he's not elite. That being said, after being around him for 10 years, Jack Swarbrick should.

I'm going to speak "Ex Cathedra" as Pope Otter on this one.
by Otter  (2021-11-29 18:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hear me now and for all time:

We will NEVER and should NEVER EVER EVER hire a 29 year old head coach. Ever.

I respect your overall process and it's WAY better than old Whistlepig would ever put together, but even he in his unbridled arrogance wouldn't hire someone born in 1992.

Anyone disagreeing? I will meet you in trial by combat behind the Chevron station.

Ha. And fair point which I'm in agreement with.
by gregmorrissey  (2021-11-29 18:26:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll admit that I forgot that Rees is only 29. I feel like he was 30 when he was quarterback just 10 years ago. And, again, I'm not advocating for Rees in any way whatsoever. I'm simply advocating for a practical approach to the process that doesn't rely on the big or popular name or just the first name that pops into Swarbrick's head.

Good approach *
by MrE  (2021-11-29 18:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Matt Rhule *
by Ty Webb  (2021-11-29 18:03:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He built up Baylor, no doubt about it
by DBCooper  (2021-11-29 18:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he has leveraged one good year into a bad NFL performance (if he doesn’t have Christian McCaffrey the team sucks).

He has never recruited at the high level, his last year at Baylor, where he did a great job, he was 0-3 against top 10 teams (sorry ndzippy) and he is 2-16 all time against ranked opponents.

This is someone who would get people excited?

So you're asking if BK 2.0 would get people excited? 🙂 *
by ndzippy  (2021-11-29 18:19:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha, pretty much *
by DBCooper  (2021-11-29 18:21:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep
by Ty Webb  (2021-11-29 18:19:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baylor was left for dead after the Briles scandal. Within three years he won 11 games. Yes, he lost all three games to Top 10 teams his last year but all three were close games including an OT loss to #6 OU. Considering where Baylor was, to do that in Year 3 is impressive.

He took over Temple after Addazio crapped out a 4-7 record. By Year 3, he won 10 games and then won 10 games in Year 4, the first time Temple had ever had back to back 10 win seasons. That 2015 Temple team gave our 9th ranked Irish all we could handle (we won 24-20).

So he's succeeded at two downtrodden programs having them both competing with the "elites" within three years.

The NFL is a QB driven league and he has crap in Carolina unless one thinks Cam Newton or Sam Darnold are high level NFL QBs. He'll likely exceed his first year win total, however, with crap at QB.

I agree. He has a strong track record. Not concerned about
by MrE  (2021-11-29 18:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mediocre NFL results. What he did at Baylor with the coaching staff with recruiting Texas in mind shows he at least has a plan.

he'd be on the list but would still need to do more research :)