I hope ND focus on Rhule and then Fickell
by ACross (2021-11-29 17:46:44)
Edited on 2021-11-29 17:54:26

In reply to: I think Rhule would also do well here.  posted by revressbo

Which is shorthand for saying that Swarbrick will not approach either but instead will choke, panic, fear rejection, and go ugly early. Aim low.

We are definitely going to get the metallic pea Wagon Queen Family Truckster if Swarbrick is involved.

Then he will call up Pete and the friendly media and tell them that the stiff he hired is the inspired choice. That nobody else was available or appropriate fND, andevwrybody should trust his sagacity. And the usual suspects will fall inine based on the data

Rhule- 2-16 against ranked teams. 0-11 while at Baylor
by DBCooper  (2021-11-29 18:15:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1-4 this year without McCaffery.

I don’t see how that should get anyone excited.

You really are morphing to hobbs *
by ACross  (2021-11-29 19:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like winners as my HC
by DBCooper  (2021-11-29 19:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seem to be content with mediocrity

Rhule is probably BK 2.0 (stolen from ndzippy)

He is a winner
by Ty Webb  (2021-11-29 19:35:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You continually seem to discount the situations he took over. It wasn't like he ended up at PSU or Michigan State and struggled to win or beat ranked teams.

He took over two bad programs in Temple and Baylor and within three years turned both into ranked programs.

What did you want him to do at Temple and Baylor?

he had Baylor an asshair away from the CFP in 2019
by MrE  (2021-11-29 19:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only an OT loss to OU in the Big 12 championship kept them out. They lost to OU by 3 points earlier in the year. He parlayed that quick turnaround into an NFL head coaching job.

I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach
by DBCooper  (2021-11-29 19:47:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But if this is the coach picked to take over for Kelly, I don’t see it as clear upgrade, and I don’t see it as someone to get excited over. It’s a lateral pick, IMO.

This program does not need someone to come in and change everything and build up a broken team from the ground up. It is close to championship caliber next year (especially if some important players come back). It needs a guy who knows how to win at big programs right now, so he can continue the recruiting momentum and keep the current 22 and 23 recruits. Rhule will come in with his own staff most likely. He likes complete control.

A quote from Vannie before Kelly was chosen, Rhule is not much different :

Kelly has never coached at a top program either as an assistant or as a head coach. He has never been mentored by or coached with a top-level head coach. He has not recruited nationally or against top programs for elite recruits. In his entire career, Kelly has never coached on a staff that defeated one of the top twenty all-time Division 1 college programs in terms of either wins or winning percentage.

Successful Notre Dame coaches, such as Parseghian, Devine and Holtz had a record of major wins against major opponents before they ever coached at Notre Dame, including Woody Hayes, Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Devaney; multiple wins against teams such as Oklahoma, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Penn State; years of testing against competition in the Big Ten, the Big Eight and the Southwest Conference. Each had been mentored by some of the elite football minds of the age such as Paul Brown, Biggie Munn, Duffy Daugherty and Woody Hayes. Each had been around big-time coaches and programs. That level of familiarity with and success against big-time competition and big-time programs is essential at this point. Brian Kelly can point to no such major wins against top teams or coaches, no experience at a top program to know what it is like and no familiarity or mentorship under a top coach.

He's better than Kelly...........
by Ty Webb  (2021-11-29 20:24:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The market also tells you they think he's better than Kelly at this point in their careers.

What about Bill O'Brien
by TWO  (2021-11-29 17:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who personally I detest because of his destruction of the Texans...

But at one time in the past he was a popular choice for ND fans due to his offense.

He seemed to have a penchant for fade passes to the corner
by beancounter  (2021-11-29 18:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the end zone. (From when I watched the Texans when Fuller was there.)

O'Brien's personality makes Kelly look like Ara Parseghian *
by irishdemon  (2021-11-29 17:54:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No kidding, I've seen him walk out of press conferences
by TWO  (2021-11-29 18:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when somebody asked a tough question, he didn't like, and he embarrassed a female reporter at one of his press conferences sort of like when Ron Franklin talked down to Holly Rowe during the 2005 ND/Purdue game.